• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Natasha Bennett

Natasha Bennett
  • Demigod
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 12:01 AM

http://www.ctv.ca/se...126839551796_58

NEWARK, N.J. Three mice infected with the bacteria responsible for bubonic plague apparently disappeared from a laboratory about two weeks ago, and authorities launched a search though health experts said there was scant public risk.

The mice were unaccounted-for at the Public Health Research Institute, which is on the campus of the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey and conducts bioterrorism research for the federal government.

Federal officials said the mice may never be accounted for. Among other things, the rodents may have been stolen, eaten by other lab animals or just misplaced in a paperwork error.

If the mice got outside the lab, they would have already died from the disease, state Health Commissioner Fred Jacobs said.

The possibility of theft prompted the institute to interrogate two dozen of its employees and conduct lie detector tests, The Star-Ledger of Newark reported Thursday.

The FBI said it was investigating. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is also investigating, the newspaper reported.

University officials did not immediately return a call seeking comment Thursday morning.

The mice were injected as part of an inoculation and vaccination experiment, investigators said.

Health officials say 10 to 20 people in the United States contract plague each year, usually through infected fleas or rodents.

It can be treated with antibiotics, but about one in seven U.S. cases is fatal. Bubonic plague is not contagious, but left untreated it can transform into pneumonic plague, which can be spread from person to person.

Here's hoping no one gets infected.  :)

Edited by Topaz, 16 September 2005 - 12:01 AM.

#2 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 12:14 AM

I almost swallowed my tongue when I heard this on the late news.

That's not the sort of thing to misplace.
The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made? A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#3 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 08:36 AM

Looks like a rather cavaliar attitude on their part as well.
Can't Touch This!!

#4 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:05 AM

Black death!  That's so 1350's!  Can't they have released something newer and more flashy, some kind of hip designer plague that would let us all die in style?   :suspect:

If they're just letting bubonic mice get loose, why do we need terrorist enemies again?   We should just stop outsourcing to those crazed Islamist guys.  It's non-cost effective and  is taking valuable killing-us-all-off jobs away from good hardworking Americans!  The good ol' U. S. of A. can come up with much more effective threats right there in Jersey!   Has Bin Laden's narrow ass come up with any Black Death germs?  Ha!  I think not!  The best that twit can manage is maybe some botulin or something, and any fool with a sack of overripe balogna and a warm windowsill can do that much.   For unleashing the Black Death, you need good ol' American ingenuity and carelessness.  At least then we'll die with pride!

*cough, cough*

:barf:

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#5 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:19 AM

I'm just swellin with pride. :wacko:

Nice to know they could be "just mis-placed in a paperwork error." So comforting.

Ya know, at the motel where I work if we "just mis-place" a guest, my boss would go ballistic. And, as far as I know, none of the guests have the plague.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#6 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:16 AM

Zwolf666, on Sep 16 2005, 09:05 AM, said:

If they're just letting bubonic mice get loose, why do we need terrorist enemies again?   We should just stop outsourcing to those crazed Islamist guys.  It's non-cost effective and  is taking valuable killing-us-all-off jobs away from good hardworking Americans!  The good ol' U. S. of A. can come up with much more effective threats right there in Jersey!   Has Bin Laden's narrow ass come up with any Black Death germs?  Ha!  I think not!  The best that twit can manage is maybe some botulin or something, and any fool with a sack of overripe balogna and a warm windowsill can do that much.   For unleashing the Black Death, you need good ol' American ingenuity and carelessness.  At least then we'll die with pride!

*cough, cough*

:barf:

Cheers,

Zwolf

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LMAO! Couldn't have said it better. This incompetence almost makes the way they delayed helping Katrina victims seems professional.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#7 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:26 AM

Maybe it was PETA or ALF.. both have done this sort of thing numerous times in the past.  PETA is a quasi-terrorist organization and I believe that ALF is listed as one by the FBI.

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#8 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:37 AM

PETA is a quasi-terrorist organization and I believe that ALF is listed as one by the FBI.

***** I thought ALF was that fuzzy alien guy on that old sitcom.  :)

I wouldn't put this past PETA... they're definitely some idiots (I'm full-on being kind to animals, but they go to extremes and their methods are eeeerrrrrk!).  Ever see 28 Days Later?  It had some PETA-types releasing plague-infected lab animals, which almost spelled the end of the world.  It'd be freaky if a plot from a mediocre zombie movie actually took place...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#9 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,312 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:37 AM

In a statement that left me not feeling confident at all - the university said that they now believe that the other mice ate the infected ones - thereby accounting for the loss.  

It read like cyob to me, and I'm not feeling especially safe right now - particularly given how close to Newark I actually live... :angry:

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#10 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 03:48 PM

Corwin, on Sep 16 2005, 11:26 AM, said:

Maybe it was PETA or ALF.. both have done this sort of thing numerous times in the past.  PETA is a quasi-terrorist organization and I believe that ALF is listed as one by the FBI.

Corwin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

~.~ I don't care alot for PETA, but they have done some good for animals. Anyway, this is not their style, they would be more likely to try to save them or get release of all the lab animals.

ALF (not the alien), otoh, would go in an do something this stupid to prove how unsafe it was to have those rats get loose. :rolleyes:
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#11 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:42 PM

meh....bubonic plague is treatible and on the loose already.  I know squirrels frequently carry the disease.  10 more mice in the general population is not going to change numbers of infected animals signficantly.

The idea that the mice were eaten by other mice suggests to me that the cages were overcrowded or the mice underfed, but it's possible that those conditions were implimented for some part of the research.  

All it really says to me is that they need better monitoring in the lab in case something worse gets out.  I'm not worried about a new bout of plague ravaging the States or something.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#12 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 05:20 PM

The Mice are carriers of this disease, it can only be transmitted to humans via flea bites.   :)
"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Public Health, Infected rats, Bubonic Plague, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users