Katrina Houston Astrodome ABC News

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:07 PM

Edited:  I had a Dome attack last night when typing in the title. Wasn't at the Superdome of course,  ABC News was reporting from the Houston Astrodome....but was interviewed some folks about their experience at the Superdome

Thanks Shoshana for pointing that out to me. I appreciated your post.

There was an ABC News reporter trying desperately to get the victims of Katrina in the Astrodome to criticize Bush after his speech, and the folks won't do it! I'm not shocked but ABC sure was and surely Dean Reynolds as he poked and prodded evacuees with leading questions.

Katrina Victims Praise Bush

http://www.mrc.org/c...b20050916.asp#1

ABC News producers probably didn't hear what they expected when they sent Dean Reynolds to the Houston Astrodome's parking lot to get reaction to President Bush's speech from black evacuees from New Orleans. Instead of denouncing Bush and blaming him for their plight, they praised Bush and blamed local officials. Reynolds asked Connie London: "Did you harbor any anger toward the President because of the slow federal response?" She rejected the premise: "No, none whatsoever, because I feel like our city and our state government should have been there before the federal government was called in." She pointed out: "They had RTA buses, Greyhound buses, school buses, that was just sitting there going under water when they could have been evacuating people."
Not one of the six people interviewed on camera had a bad word for Bush -- despite Reynolds' best efforts. Reynolds goaded: "Was there anything that you found hard to believe that he said, that you thought, well, that's nice rhetoric, but, you know, the proof is in the pudding?" Brenda Marshall answered, "No, I didn't," prompting Reynolds to marvel to anchor Ted Koppel: "Very little skepticism here."

Reynolds pressed another woman: "Did you feel that the President was sincere tonight?" She affirmed: "Yes, he was." Reynolds soon wondered who they held culpable for the levee breaks. Unlike the national media, London did not blame supposed Bush-mandated budget cuts: "They've been allocated federal funds to fix the levee system, and it never got done. I fault the mayor of our city personally. I really do."

Guess you can drag the folks out of the comfort of A/C, make them sit in the heat and the humidity with the bugs,  to watch the President speak but you can't make them criticize Bush on demand.

RuReddy

Edited by RuReddy1, 17 September 2005 - 10:26 PM.

#2 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:15 PM

Golly, another conservative media site tries to put a positive face on things!  What a surprise!   :lol:

But that doesn't sound like praise for Bush, more like they blamed the local and state governments (and there's certainly blame there).  They liked the speech and thought he was sincere.  Whoop-dee-doo.

There's one quote, however, that was left out:

Cecilia: "To me it was a little too late. It was too late, but he should have did something more about it."

Glad to see that the conservative media site you quoted left it in for perspective.  :lol:
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#3 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 12:05 AM

Opps....You left this part of the Cecilia's quote.

Reynolds: "And Cecilia, did you feel that the President was sincere tonight?"

Cecilia: "Yes, he was."

RuReddy

#4 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:15 AM

RuReddy1, on Sep 17 2005, 05:05 AM, said:

RuReddy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Golly, she thought he was "sincere."  But he was still "too little, too late."

I guess a quoting a handful of evacuees calling Bush "sincere" counts as positive spin these days.  :lol:  Of course, it has nothing to do with the reality that the federal government really did drop the ball.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#5 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:20 AM

The Superdome? Were they interviewing people at the Astrodome about their Superdome experience? Cause the title is confusing me... ABC News at the Superdome...

Edited by Shoshana, 17 September 2005 - 10:20 AM.

#6 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 12:16 PM

Shalamar, on Sep 17 2005, 11:07 AM, said:

Since people are bringing in words from the lips of residents of the Big Easy...

The international company that I work for has sites through out the entire region that the hurricane hit.

They got our partners and their families out, cared for, housed and to work at our other sites across the nation. ( some before the hurricane hit, some from  the Superdone evacuation...)

The location I work at has 6 - black and white, hourly and salary, male and female - now politics have not been discussed, but uniformly they've had nothing good to say about Nagin or Blanco - in short those six very firmly blame the locals not the feds - and yes all six said they voted for both the Nagin and Blanco - and won't ever again.

All six of them and their families are going back, they want to and when the news came yesterday that our plant in New Orleans will restart Monday- the cheers that went up were very loud.

They want to go home.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From my post in the  Many won't go Home thread...bolding added to show what is very relevant in this thread.

Honestly, I've understated how they feel about what Nagin and Blanco did and didn't do - some of them have been blunt, crude and unwavering in their opinions.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#7 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 03:31 PM

Call Me Robin, on Sep 17 2005, 04:15 PM, said:

RuReddy1, on Sep 17 2005, 05:05 AM, said:

RuReddy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Golly, she thought he was "sincere."  But he was still "too little, too late."

I'm not entirely sure why this is an issue. Surely one can be sincere, and yet offer too little too late?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#8 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:41 PM

Shalamar Posted Today, 12:16 PM

Shalamar @ Sep 17 2005, 11:07 AM
Since people are bringing in words from the lips of residents of the Big Easy...

The international company that I work for has sites through out the entire region that the hurricane hit.

They got our partners and their families out, cared for, housed and to work at our other sites across the nation. ( some before the hurricane hit, some from  the Superdone evacuation...)

The location I work at has 6 - black and white, hourly and salary, male and female - now politics have not been discussed, but uniformly they've had nothing good to say about Nagin or Blanco - in short those six very firmly blame the locals not the feds - and yes all six said they voted for both the Nagin and Blanco - and won't ever again.

All six of them and their families are going back, they want to and when the news came yesterday that our plant in New Orleans will restart Monday- the cheers that went up were very loud.

They want to go home.

From my post in the Many won't go Home thread...bolding added to show what is very relevant in this thread.

Honestly, I've understated how they feel about what Nagin and Blanco did and didn't do - some of them have been blunt, crude and unwavering in their opinions.

Oh yes I can see how the two threads relate.  Actually this topic was named
"To ABC's Surprise, Katrina Victims Praise Bush and Blame Nagin "  on the link I provided.  

And as Call me Robin said " they blamed the local and state governments " as well they should. These folks of NO voted for Blanco and Nagin, those were the first links in the chain that were broken.  They failed their voters.

RuReddy

#9 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:54 PM

Godeskian Posted Today, 03:31 PM

Call Me Robin @ Sep 17 2005, 04:15 PM

RuReddy1 @ Sep 17 2005, 05:05 AM

RuReddy

Golly, she thought he was "sincere." But he was still "too little, too late."

I'm not entirely sure why this is an issue. Surely one can be sincere, and yet offer too little too late?

You are right Gode.  But one must consider the source of who is saying one can't be sincere after arriving with too little and too late.  Anything Bush would have said or done,  would have been wrong in the left's perspective.

#10 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:18 PM

Call Me Robin Posted Yesterday, 10:15 PM
  Golly, another conservative media site tries to put a positive face on things! What a surprise! 

Its hilarious how you attacked the story as being from a conservative news site? I guess they tortured Dean Reynolds and Ted Koppel and FORCED THEM to say those things, right? Yeah, the conservatives made them do it.

But that doesn't sound like praise for Bush, more like they blamed the local and state governments (and there's certainly blame there). They liked the speech and thought he was sincere. Whoop-dee-doo.

Yikes you actually got the drift of the whole story for once. Just the mere thought of praise for Bush gets under the skin,  eh?   :lol:   But  yes the folks blame Blanco and Nagin,  both DEMOCRATS,  because they voted them into office.   It was both of them that didn't follow the plan to get the folks out of NO. I believe Connie London said it best,

Reynolds asked Connie London: "Did you harbor any anger toward the President because of the slow federal response?" She rejected the premise: "No, none whatsoever, because I feel like our city and our state government should have been there before the federal government was called in." She pointed out: "They had RTA buses, Greyhound buses, school buses, that was just sitting there going under water when they could have been evacuating people."

Of course, it has nothing to do with the reality that the federal government really did drop the ball.

Get a grip on this issue.  Democrats have been running NO and the state of Louisiana  for over 30 years and they've done a lousy job, its finally caught up with them. Yes the feds were late but the local and state officials are 30 years too late.

RuReddy

#11 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 12:01 AM

***Edited because the post appears below with all the correct formatting & stuff.*** :D

Edited by Call Me Robin, 18 September 2005 - 09:43 AM.

--Aristotle

--Eric Hoffer

#12 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 12:05 AM

Its hilarious how you attacked the story as being from a conservative news site? I guess they tortured Dean Reynolds and Ted Koppel and FORCED THEM to say those things, right? Yeah, the conservatives made them do it.

Oh...I suppose it's just amusing how the right wing is so, so desperate to spin this as a positive that they've resorted to quoting six people blaming the local and state government (understandable) and saying Bush sounded sincere (wow, that's, like, overwhelming approval!).  Yup, things are lookin' up for Bush!  :lol:

Yikes you actually got the drift of the whole story for once. Just the mere thought of praise for Bush gets under the skin, eh?

Gosh!  "Bush sounded sincere...even if it is too little too late."  Yes, that's really praise for Bush!  In fact, his approval ratings have skyrocketed since then.  Except they haven't.  :lol:  As I said, the right wing is desperate.  They need a positive spin.  Any positive spin.  

Be realistic.  Your guy screwed up on his end.  It doesn't matter what six people at the Astrodome say on the news.  There were mistakes made on all levels, not just the state and local levels.  No amount of time trying to put a happy-smiley face on it can change that.  

Get a grip on this issue. Democrats have been running NO and the state of Louisiana for over 30 years and they've done a lousy job, its finally caught up with them. Yes the feds were late but the local and state officials are 30 years too late.

Uh...no.  You are mistaken.  Murphy Foster (Kathleen Blanco's predecessor as governor) was a Republican.  More on him here.  You'll notice that he served two terms as governor, leaving office in January 2004.  So it wasn't just Democratis.  And Ray Nagin (NO's mayor) was originally a Republican who switched parties days before he filed to enter the race for mayor.

Anyway, Republicans have been running Washington, DC for years and they've done a crappy job.  According to opinion polls I've read, most Americans feel this way and that is why some polls have Bush's approval ratings as low as 38 percent.
--Aristotle

--Eric Hoffer

#13 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 12:42 AM

Attack of the double post again I see.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#14 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:29 AM

Call Me Robin Posted Today, 12:05 AM

RuReddy

Oh...I suppose it's just amusing how the right wing is so, so desperate to spin this as a positive that they've resorted to quoting six people blaming the local and state government (understandable) and saying Bush sounded sincere (wow, that's, like, overwhelming approval!). Yup, things are lookin' up for Bush!

No,  the right wing didn't say that,  I did. You just can't stand the fact that some folks of New Orleans are NOT blaming BUSH and took the ABC reporter Dean Reyolds by surprise.  I'm certain,  ABC would have never had a live feed to Reynolds had they even thought for a second the folks were going to blame the locals and not rip Bush apart. Yup,  we can also count on the folks here for being  consistent with the hate they ooze with every post they write concerning Bush.  Like clock work. Yes, I find it very amusing the many ways one can display their disapproval for someone.

Call Me Robin

RuReddy
Get a grip on this issue. Democrats have been running NO and the state of Louisiana for over 30 years and they've done a lousy job, its finally caught up with them. Yes the feds were late but the local and state officials are 30 years too late.

Uh...no. You are mistaken. Murphy Foster (Kathleen Blanco's predecessor as governor) was a Republican. More on him here. You'll notice that he served two terms as governor, leaving office in January 2004. So it wasn't just Democratis. And Ray Nagin (NO's mayor) was originally a Republican who switched parties days before he filed to enter the race for mayor.

Your link is worthless and Wikipedia,   thats a realiable source Posted Image

Nope. I'm right with my statement.
http://www.sec.state...us/gov-1877.htm

Lets see  in the last 128 years and since 1877 there have only been 16 years that Governors of Louisiana were Republican.  The other remaining 112 years,  Louisiana has had a Democratic Governor.  According to the Louisiana Secretary of State.

Good thing Nagin switched sides cuz we surely wouldn't want to mess up a winning streak for the democrats.  All of New Orleans Mayors have been  Democrats since the 1900's

http://nutrias.org/~.../inv/flower.htm

Now for Mayors.  In 1896, Flower was chosen by the Citizens' League, a non-partisan reform group dedicated to overthrowing the current political regime in New Orleans, as its candidate for Mayor. Flower defeated the regular Democrat candidate Charles F. Buck.

In 1900, the regular Democrats returned to power with the election of Mayor Paul Capedeville. Flower died of tuberculosis at his summer home in Covington later that year.

So since the 1900's a democrat has been sitting in the Mayors seat in New Orleans.
Heres a list of the Mayors.

http://www.nutrias.o...acts/mayors.htm

I couldn't find a list that stated each mayors party, but feel free to look up each name as I did and you will find each one is a democrat.

Ta Ta,
RuReddy

#15 Eskaminzim

Eskaminzim

Head eggs and butt toast

• Islander
  • 559 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:36 AM

RuReddy:

I'm not real sure what it is that you're laughing about.  Your OWN link proves Robin correct in that prior to this governor, LA had a REPUBLICAN governor serve two terms, or the past eight years prior to 2005.  Isn't that what she was saying?  Well, that's what you're agreeing with by posting your link.

1996-2004

Murphy J. "Mike" Foster - Republican
(Governor Foster's grandfather, Murphy James Foster, served as Governor of Louisiana from 1892 to 1900.)

So...what's so funny?

#16 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:45 AM

And a-one, and a-two...

I have no doubt that the local and state officials made mistakes.  I have no problem with this at all; I too agree that mistakes were made.  But local residents saying so does not let Bush off the hook.  As I said, I'm just surprised it's come to this.  Blaming local officials and not Bush = good news for Bush.

Let's get some perspective here, courtesy of columnist Leonard Pitts.  (The boldface is mine.)

So I have a question for the Bush jihadists, that shrinking but stubborn minority that still thinks Dubya walks on water and calls down rain. What's it going to take to make you folks stop sending me e-mails by the dozens railing at how the great and powerful Bush is being mistreated by that darned liberal media?

Take, for instance, Tom in Boynton Beach, who says criticism of Bush is a sop to the "America-hating extreme left wing." Or Darwin -- I don't know where he's from -- who says liberals are playing "the blame game." And on and on.

It is, of course, their standard defense, akin to a child sticking index fingers in her ears and shouting "Lalalalala, I can't hear you!" until you stop committing the sin of reason. In this case, the argument goes that Bush is being blamed for failures that should be assigned to state and local officials in Louisiana and Mississippi. It's their fault, not his.

So to recap: Media say Bush bears responsibility. Much of the American public says Bush bears responsibility. In an unprecedented show of lucidity, Bush takes responsibility.

Bush jihadists say Bush is not responsible.

Seldom has the intellectual bankruptcy, situational outrage and robotic partisanship of that stratum of the electorate been more apparent. I swear, if Bush blew up the White House, they'd praise him for creating construction jobs.

Yes, the apparent failures of New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin and Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco are manifest and manifold. And people are right to criticize them. But here's why Bush gets the lion's share of attention: He's the bleeping president of the United States. And the miserable performance of the government he captains speaks not simply to our immediate concerns about Louisiana and Mississippi but potentially to our future concerns about Florida, California or some other state that comes under terrorist attack.

I couldn't have put it better.
--Aristotle

--Eric Hoffer

#17 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:51 AM

So...what's so funny?

Must be self deprecating humor on RuReddy's part. It's considered healthy to laugh at yourself.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:54 AM

Wow... they found six people in a red state who didn't blame Bush.  That's a newsflash for ya!  :lol:  

This kinda reminds me of the joke about the kid who's happy he got horses**t on Christmas because "there must be a pony around here somewhere!"  :)

Meanwhile, the bigger picture has a different story.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#19 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 10:29 AM

http://www.usatoday....7-letters_x.htm

Futility of pointing fingers

If you want someone to blame for the disaster of Hurricane Katrina, here's a list:

Blame all the mayors of New Orleans for the past 40 years because the city was not prepared to deal with this hurricane.

Blame all Louisiana governors for not leading this state to better hurricane preparedness.

Blame decades of state legislators for being more concerned with lining their own pockets rather than doing what's right for this state.

Blame all the past U.S. senators of this state for not fighting to strengthen the levees of New Orleans. And blame all the congressmen, too.

Then blame all the presidents for the past 40 years. For those of you who hate President Bush and Republicans so much that you automatically blame them, remember: Most of Louisiana's and New Orleans' leaders have been Democrats.

This tragedy isn't about one party or one president.

Stop being Monday-morning quarterbacks. It's easy to second-guess after the fact but very hard to make decisions during. Stop trying to assign blame and focus on what you can do to help.

Donate to the Red Cross and other agencies. Donate blood.

Designate your donations to Hurricane Katrina relief.

Yep,  lets face reality. What have you done to help?

RuReddy

#20 Eskaminzim

Eskaminzim

Head eggs and butt toast

• Islander
  • 559 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 11:11 AM

ya mean it's not permissable to do both?  

It's kind of...presumptuous..of you to assume that no one here who's been questioning your monday morning cheerleading has done anything to help, ya know?  (BTW, my question still hasn't been answered, but that's probably cause you have me on ignore).

Since you have asked, however:

For the next year, 100% of the royalties of all three of my books (and perhaps some of the royalties of book number four as well, though it doesn't come out until January, and I'll have to ask my co-writer on that one.  YO CO-WRITER, whatcha think, hmm?) go to the Red Cross.

One thousand dollars in cash and one thousand five hundred dollars in food, blankets, leashes, we-we pads, kennels and other equipment for PAWS Atlanta and NO for animal rescue and shelter.

Most importantly, 40 hours/week (on top of working full time) providing medical care to the displaced citizens who are now in shelters in the Atlanta area.  This will continue until our shelters are empty, and beyond.

Pray, RuReddy, is that quite enough for me to be able to point fingers yet?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Houston Astrodome, ABC News

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users