Natrual disasters Preparedness

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 09:29 PM

An interesting article from MSNBC, kind of put everything in perspective and raises the question:  "Are you prepared?"   :eek4:
"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

#2 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 09:44 PM

Being a disaster scenario junkie, I've known about these various 'dangerous' areas for years. And no most major cities have real clue what could be coming down the proverbial pike.

And most people are no more prepared than their cities.

Few realize that your average major city has just enough food with in their city limits ( at various groceries/ ware house facilities) to cover three days - if it were all effeciently rounded up and distrubuted- so as to hold off looting and hoarding.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#3 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:15 PM

I used to think about this a lot and I think I was in a much better position when I lived in a rural area. The house had its own cistern and well, and enough space and equipment for canning and lots of it as well as its own associated gas well. So aside from electricity things were good, especially in the summer when many berries and garden space was available as well as the remaining garden supplies left over from when this was a productive farm.
Now, I'm in an apartment in a small(20,000+ without the students) city and my escape and bunker up options are quite a bit more limited. Although I have a small medical kit as well as a wilderness survival kit in my shelves not to mention plenty of spare batteries and duct tape. But aside from some freak event we've pretty protected from natural disasters here with only the occasional flood and blizzard.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#4 Chakotay

Chakotay

For gosh sakes let me out of here!

• Islander
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 06:58 AM

I'm glad I don't live in a city. Things would fall apart very quickly without the daily delivery of food, clean water coming out of the faucets.

So, sitting on high ground, surrounded by farms producing both meat, milk, eggs and vegetables, clean stream less than a mile away, I figure I'm more okay than urbanites.
  No plan survives first contact with the enemy - military axiom.

#5 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:47 AM

OH! I am in deep emerald green envy Chakotay.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#6 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 01:46 PM

Yeah I don't lose sleep over it, being on high ground, surrounded by farms with enough food in the cupboards to last a good coupla weeks and weather which is so not extreme it's to a fault almost (we want a white christmas damn it!) ...UK has rather safer weather I imagine.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#7 Fragsta

Fragsta

The grandmaster of doom!

• Islander
  • 554 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 01:57 PM

Nor do I - one of the highest places in the UK around here, I think.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Noticed my avatar and sig changing? Yours can too with the random sig imager!

#8 Zaugur Anasazi

Zaugur Anasazi

Defensor Selenae.

• Islander
  • 257 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:01 PM

Hurricanes are a really rare phenomenon in Greece.Hurricanes like Katrina.I do not remember that they have ever hit it with such power.
Posted Image

#9 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:07 PM

Well faced with an evac order. I would simply leave after making sure that Dad was moved to someplace safe. Faced with no warning I would try to make certain Dad was safe.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natrual disasters, Preparedness

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users