• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:01 PM

I think it speaks pretty poorly that people have to find fault with a man needing to go to the toilet,  have to use it to smear him and speak badly about him.

I have gin bloom, but you know I haven't had a single drop of alcohol in many years, it's just the way my face is weathering as I age and my natural skin tones.

Given that the doctors have to give the President a clean bill of health annually, I think that the media would have caught wind of any such abuses by now and published them loud and long - in todays clime things like that are not hushed up, epsecially against Bush...and If I remember correctly they have given Bush a pretty impressive clean bill of health.

Also Bush is getting to the age when the prostate acts up a bit, sometimes making it impossible to hold, but no we can't have an normal excuse, we must find reasons to excoriate Bush.

and as far as facial ticks, well many people exhibit them when nervous, under pressure, etc...

I think you are really stretching wp just to find reasons to dump on Bush.

Edited by Shalamar, 18 September 2005 - 03:02 PM.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#22 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:18 PM

Unfortunately, Shalamar, there is no need to stretch to find reasons to, in your words, "dump on Bush."  The valid reasons are myriad and varied.  There's also a difference between "gin bloom" and the natural weathering of skin.

And yes, many people have facial ticks.  But not many people have the specific one referred to as "coke jaw."  It's quite distinctive.  It's not absolutely diagnostic, but coupled with Bush's known history of drug use, it's certainly suggestive.

There have, by the way, been speculations for years that Bush never stopped drinking and that he is still drugging.  As for his health reports being public knowlege, they aren't.  He's been photographed several times with some sort of device, probably medical, strapped to his back.  The only time that's surfaced in the press was during the debates, when there was speculation that it was an audio hookup to someone feeding him answers.  (Given the poor quality of his performance, I seriously doubt that it was a line to Karl Rove hiding in the greenroom.)  

eloisel, since you have yourself happily criticized other public figures with far less cause and no truth--associating liberal Christians with "Communists," for example, and proclaiming Cindy Sheehan an anti-semite--I find your repeated admonitions on the subject inappropriate.  There are folks who don't share your adulation of your hero and who have good reason for not doing so.  Get over it.

Edited by waterpanther, 18 September 2005 - 03:19 PM.

Posted Image

#23 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:29 PM

Hey as a constant pisser and being a woman, I have to say here-it happens.

It's funny this got caught on camera but...

As men get older they sometimes have this problem.

I have to say I hope he didn't get to uncomfortable because that's a hard thing to have happening.  When ya gotta go. :eek2:

Edited by Hibblette, 18 September 2005 - 03:29 PM.

"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#24 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:29 PM

edited.

Yeah Specs I think you are right about the going into the toilet.

Edited by G1223, 18 September 2005 - 03:32 PM.

If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#25 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:30 PM

Can I suggest this isn't going to go anywhere but in the crapper? No one's going to win this because there's no evidence with which to win. Bush may still be drinking. He may not be. We don't know. Let's drop it.... This is as irritating to me as the speculation that the Clintons had coke parties and orgies.

There are plenty of good, fact-based reasons to think that George W. Bush is a terrible president. We don't have to reach for Scaife-like speculations.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#26 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:31 PM

^totally agree.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#27 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:39 PM

I am no fan of George W Bush but this argument and insinuations of continued drug and alcohol abuse by him has gone too far

Just my opinion there.

And the fact is that he has acknowledged these past demons.  Signs of past abuse do show up in a person years after it has stopped.  I know as I have folks within my family who were alcohol and drug abusers in their youth and they are still dealing with emotional and physical issues caused by that abuse.

The man had to take a pee break and now you've decided he is still using?  That is a major reach

Just like the fact that there seems to be nothing more important to be reported on in the media than a man needing a potty break even if he is the President...    :rolleyes:

Edited by trikay, 18 September 2005 - 03:41 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#28 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:45 PM

I'm no Bush apologist, but just think if he rose up and walked out without his partner in crime, erm, his partner is international doings knowing what's up ...... I guess he did it right, except: didn't know there were massive cameras on him??
Didn't he learn back in school like we all did, the arm trick? where you move your arm up to shield your writing so the kid next to you can't cheat off you??
:D
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#29 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 04:44 PM

I can't quite believe i'm about to defend Bush.

Heh. All this fuss that he had to take a bathroom break; it may have been in the middle of business, but sometimes it won't wait. ;) As for asking for permission, he may be an adult, but he's an adult in a position that requires security. No doubt he needs guards to go use the bathroom in a strange place.

Spectacles said:

There are plenty of good, fact-based reasons to think that George W. Bush is a terrible president.

Well, yes. ;)

edit to remove extra "be" (may be be? bleah!) in a sentence

Edited by Norville, 18 September 2005 - 05:06 PM.

"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#30 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 04:55 PM

Norville, on Sep 18 2005, 09:44 PM, said:

I can't quite believe i'm about to defend Bush.

Heh. All this fuss that he had to take a bathroom break; it may have been in the middle of business, but sometimes it won't wait. ;) As for asking for permission, he may be be an adult, but he's an adult in a position that requires security. No doubt he needs guards to go use the bathroom in a strange place.

Spectacles said:

There are plenty of good, fact-based reasons to think that George W. Bush is a terrible president.

Well, yes. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure as soon as he got a chance, he whizzed right to the men's room.

Get it?  WHIZZED?   :lol:  :lol:
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#31 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:09 PM

Shalamar, on Sep 18 2005, 01:01 PM, said:

I think it speaks pretty poorly that people have to find fault with a man needing to go to the toilet,  have to use it to smear him and speak badly about him.

I have to agree.  What would folk have, an accident occur?  Then he'd *really* get ridiculed.  He's human.  He gets to pee.

Lil
Posted Image

#32 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:13 PM

Yes Lil it is the Catch 22 I have been talking about.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#33 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,191 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:22 PM

I can't wait to see this satired on Late Night TV, not to mention South Park. ;)

Rommie :cylon:
Posted Image

#34 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:30 PM

RommieSG, on Sep 18 2005, 09:22 PM, said:

I can't wait to see this satired on Late Night TV, not to mention South Park. ;)

Rommie :cylon:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This I can't wait to see it either.  :D
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#35 ervin64

ervin64
  • Islander
  • 280 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 09:22 PM

Let the poor man use the restroom when he needs to go.  I can't imagine why this is such a big deal.

#36 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 09:30 PM

Themis, on Sep 18 2005, 06:02 AM, said:

I was once told that Prince Philip said "never pass up an opportunity to go to the bathroom."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought it was Churchill who said that.  :)  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#37 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 10:57 PM

Posted Image
The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made? A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#38 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 04:14 AM

waterpanther, on Sep 18 2005, 02:31 PM, said:

eloisel, have you any proof that he has given up either drug?  If not, you are speculating, with very little evidence to support your conclusion and the stats not in your favor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

eloisel has been similarly unable to produce proof that Dick Van Patten, wasn't an original member of "Earth Wind and Fire". CONFIRMING...even for the most hardened skeptic...that he was. :humble:  

-scherzo(what...you thought "Boogie Wonderland" just wrote itself?)
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#39 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:53 AM

Dang also she did not prove that Hitler died in Berlin after the war.Also that FDR did not know about the attack on Pearl Harbor before it happened.

TANSTAAFL

#40 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:45 AM

(A) I do think this is funny, just 'cuz he's having to write a note about it.

(B) I do not fault the guy for it, however.  When ya gotta go, ya gotta go, president or not.

© I can't believe ya'll are turning this into Pass-WaterGate. :)

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way
But I'm never talking to you again

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you