• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 11:37 PM

Now Ru. Remember we are suppose to prove he's not currently a drug abuser. Otherwise Waterpanther would look unsupported. Then again that has been my position since we discovered that there was no proof.

But if the drug abuse and drinking snipes keep going we might need to drag out Ted "The Lush" Kennedy. That is if we can keep him from taking a girl for a dive.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#62 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:05 AM

Ah, and then we can drag out Laura Bush.  That is, if we can keep her from taking her ex-boyfriend for a drive. :whistle:
Posted Image

#63 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:49 AM

Waterpanther go ahead. I suspect you would say do anything to smear Bush.... This thread proves it. You do not care about being objective.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#64 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:08 AM

G1223, on Sep 20 2005, 02:49 PM, said:

Waterpanther go ahead. I suspect you would say do anything to smear Bush.... This thread proves it. You do not care about being objective.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe he may be referring to this article
http://www.snopes.co.../bush/laura.asp

In May 2000, a two-page police report pertaining to a fatal accident that had taken place near Midland, Texas, in 1963 was made public. It  contained the information that 17-year-old Laura Welch had run a stop sign, causing the death of the sole occupant of the vehicle hers had struck. According to that report, the future First Lady had been driving her Chevrolet sedan on a clear night shortly after 8 p.m. on 6 November 1963 when she entered an intersection without heeding the stop sign and there collided with the Corvair sedan driven by 17-year-old Michael Douglas. Also in the car with Laura Welch was a passenger, 17-year-old Judy Dykes.

How fast Miss Welch might have been driving is open to question. That part of the police report is illegible, although two biographies of the First Lady refer to her as having been going 50 mph at the time of the collision. The speed limit on that portion of road was 55 mph. According to the police report neither driver had been drinking, but no tests were performed. No charges were filed as a result of the accident.

I have never understood why no tests were done, nor why no charges at all were filed, as I would assume that even an accidental death in such an accident (i.e. running a stopsign) would have warranted a 'reckless driving' charge of some sort.

However, having said all that (and no doubt opened myself to accusations of smearing Laura Bush) I would have to say that a single incident in 1963 should not tar one for the rest of ones life.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#65 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:14 AM

Well it was 1963 drunk driving was a nearly ignored crime. Hell the guy who hit me in the early 90's had a list of drunk driving convictions to fill a whole page on their own.

In 1963 there was no portable breathalizer. If the person did not exhibit any signs of intoxication usually an officer would let the matter go.

TANSTAAFL

#66 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:45 AM

It is up to Department policy and the officer whether tests are given.  It's pretty darn easy to tell if someone had been drinking, just let them breathe on you most of the time and give them some form of field sobriety test which would not go into a report unless they had been drinking.

As for charges... It was an accident although a tragic one.  No criminal charges were filed because there was nothing criminal about what happened.  Did she get a traffic ticket for running a stop sign?  That I have no idea on unless someone can find the officer's actual report.  The accident report by it's nature would have no charges attached (that goes on an arrest report), but whether someone was ticketed would go on the arrest report.  In this case, a traffic ticket could have been overlooked or just not given because of the nature of the accident.  Keep in mind that this occured in 1963 and laws and lawsuits were much different then.

I have personal working experience dealing with thousands of traffic accident reports  written by city, county and state agencies here in Texas and they are usually very straight forward and simplistic in how they present the information.  And accidents do happen often.

I would like to see the actual accident report.... If both cars were going 50mph at almost right angles to each other and one road had a stop sign, wouldn't there have been an almost right angle intersection?  

Edited to add:  some people can hide the smell of alcohol and some people can pass a field sobriety test if they are only marginally legal to drive, but can still be impaired.  Also, until the lates 80's, Texas did not pass an open alcoholic beverage law in regards to driving.

Corwin

Edited by Corwin, 20 September 2005 - 09:51 AM.

"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#67 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:15 PM

Nonny, on Sep 19 2005, 10:09 AM, said:

Zwolf666, on Sep 19 2005, 08:02 AM, said:

*throws pie at ZWolf*
****** That's why I do these things... it gets me free pie! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:

You would maybe have preferred WaterClosetGate?

WeeWeeGate?

YellowWater?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I vote for WeeWeeGate.  :)

"The Leak that didn't involve Karl Rove?"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well now, are we sure it didn't involve Karl Rove?  :oh:  

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL!

I'm absolutely sure that Bush is the first President to actually ask his Secretary of State to go weewee within hearing of the press. (In private, who knows?)  :D  :D
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#68 Aurelius

Aurelius

Master of the Empire

• Islander
  • 803 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:37 PM

Ye Gods....how we got from President Bush needing to pee to drink-driving accidents is beyond me!! Just shows the way threads can meander.

This is one time that I would have nothing but sympathy/praise for Mr. Bush. I think that he handled the situation very well.

The way I see it, he had 3 options
1. He could have tried to ignore the urge and carry on with the business at hand, as at least one poster has said- Wrong move....I know from experience (teaching a class  :blush: ) how utterly hard it is to concentrate on anything if your bladder is screaming at you.

2. He could have got up, walked out, did the necessary and come back - Wrong- he's one of the key players here...there is constant attention on him. It isn't possible for someone of his visibility to simply walk out under the cover of applause or anything and not be seen.

3. He could write a note, so that an aide could find a way for him to subtly leave the room, such as requesting a short recess.- Right move-  It's polite, it's careful and above all it's quiet and unobtrusive. I think that he handled himself well ( no pun intended).

Course, those are the relatively civilised options. Worse case scenario, he could have gone right then and there and hope noone would notice.....now how's that for a mental image for ya!!!!!!  :eek4:  :eek4: :D :D

I'm not a Bush supporter, but I find it disgusting that just because the man had to fulfill one of the most basic human needs, people should automatically assume the worst....drink and drug problem. That's gutter thinking...something I'd hoped everyone here was above.

Aurelius
"If I had all the answers, I'd run for God"
Cpl. Max Klinger, M*A*S*H

#69 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:45 PM

Aurelius Posted Today, 05:37 PM

I'm not a Bush supporter, but I find it disgusting that just because the man had to fulfill one of the most basic human needs, people should automatically assume the worst....drink and drug problem. That's gutter thinking...something I'd hoped everyone here was above.

Aurelius

Well said.  Thank You.

RuReddy

#70 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:01 PM

Aurelius, on Sep 20 2005, 10:37 PM, said:

Aurelius

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have to ask Waterpanther about that type of thinking. It seems to be all that gets posted.

TANSTAAFL

#71 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:33 PM

G1223, on Sep 20 2005, 06:01 PM, said:

Aurelius, on Sep 20 2005, 10:37 PM, said:

Aurelius

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have to ask Waterpanther about that type of thinking. It seems to be all that gets posted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Be careful, G...I told wp what I thought of her logical skills, and I drew an official warning from Herr "Mod Hat."
The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made? A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#72 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:44 PM

I will simply take my suspension.  But I would point to the temper tantrum that wp threw in this thread when she was confronted by not being able to prove drug abuse or a continued drinking problems.

That when I offered to expand the discussion to cover another elected offical wp threatened to bad mouth the wife of  the President. Not to show what it had to do with current issues but simply take the discussion to a even lower level.

Basically wp cannot deal with the fact a majority of people are not finding the discussion either funny nor feel that slamming Bush about this is really a critical issue.  

That is why we see attempts to grab at a picture of the President and do the JFK (Up and to the Right) act of trying to tell us why the slam is accurate and therefore valid to be allowed.

TANSTAAFL

#73 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:52 PM

G, you're lapsing into fiction here.  You wanted to drag in Ted Kennedy, who has nothing whatsoever to do with Bush's drinking or lack of same and is in no wise in a parallel situation.  And he won't ever be, if for no other reason that he was apparently drunk on his a$$ the night he drove off that bridge and an innocent woman died because of it.  It cost him any chance he might ever have had at the Presidency.  

Laura Bush's (then Welsh's) incident was parallel to the extent that it was also a tragic accident, and there's no more evidence that she intended to off her unfortunate ex than there is evidence that Ted Kennedy intended to kill Mary Jo Kopechne.  (Though that accusation has been flogged for decades by the right-wing press.)

Your obvious intent was to attempt smear for "smear"; I merely pointed out that that could work both ways.  You seem to be fine with any sort of defamation aimed at a liberal or Democrat, but any criticism of Bush or anyone associated with him seems to be intolerable to you.  You're fine with an incompetent in the Oval Office, just as long as he shares your political bent; I'm not fine with an incompetent, regardless of his political bent.  There's the difference.
Posted Image

#74 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 11:30 PM

WP, You seem to have gotten side tracked and forgot to bring proof to this thread as to your claim here and in other threads.  Lets just stick with the drug problem for now.

No fiction here,  Waterpanther said.

Waterpanther Yesterday, 03:18 PM
And yes, many people have facial ticks. But not many people have the specific one referred to as "coke jaw." It's quite distinctive. It's not absolutely diagnostic, but coupled with Bush's known history of drug use, it's certainly suggestive

Since you claim Bush has a known history of drug use, please provide some proof of this.

RuReddy

#75 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 11:34 PM

Is any one familiar with the Pink Panther theme song?

Dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead anttttttt... pow,
do do do do do do do do do do
dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant ....

#76 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 12:54 AM

eloisel Posted Yesterday, 11:34 PM
  Is any one familiar with the Pink Panther theme song?

Dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead anttttttt... pow,
do do do do do do do do do do
dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant ....

Your so funny E and I think WP will appreciate your lightening the thread with you little song.....I'll whistle along with you.... :whistle:

RuReddy

#77 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:37 AM

What, Ru?  You doubt George Bush himself?  You don't believe your Dear Leader?

Now, you may remember--or you may not--that during his run for the Presidency Bush was repeatedly asked about reports that he had used cocaine, and he used a number of evasions.  One was that he'd been able to pass a drug test since the time he'd worked in his father's campaign, believe the date was.  That clearly implies that he wouldn't have been able to pass the test before that date.  

The other was that he didn't want to talk about whether or not he'd used illegal drugs  because he didn't want to give his girls ideas that using drugs was all right.

Now, think about that a moment.

If the answer was no, then he was a good example to his children, and ought to be proud of it.  He ought to be talking about it in public.  His statement makes sense only if the answer was yes, he'd done coke.  

So, just for fun, let's run his answer through a few permutations and see what we come up with.

"Mr. Bush, have you ever used cocaine?"

"Tom, I don't want to talk about that because it might give kids ideas that drug use is okay.

"Mr. Bush, have you and Barney--that is, have you ever literally scrood the pooch?"

"Tim, I don't want to talk about that because it might give kids ideas that man-on-dog marriage is okay.  (And Rickie would pitch a fit.)"

"Mr. Bush, is it true that Ann Coulter and Karl Rove are actually identical twins, and that Rove has had  sex-reassignment surgery?"

"Brian, I don't want to talk about that because it might give kids ideas that that whole transgender thing is okay."
Sorry, Ru.  I believe George on this one.

Edited by waterpanther, 21 September 2005 - 07:38 AM.

Posted Image

#78 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 11:04 AM

An accident such as his father throwing up in the Japanese prime minister's lap, for example. *That* was worth comment. This isn't. 

LOL, perhaps this is a "Bush" thing that we in the general public just cannot understand   :D
"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

#79 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 11:18 AM

G1223, on Sep 19 2005, 05:04 PM, said:

I'd add Walter Cronkite to that list.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never got to where I could watch him on a regular basis. I'd have to grant him being the most popular ever, and maybe the best news caster ever.

I miss straight up news. We don't get it on caqble, and I haven't seen a network news cast in years. I need to upgrade my dish to get local channels, but I'm afraid it wouldn't be worth the expence of $200.00. I miss watching Mountaineer Football and Basketball.
Can't Touch This!!

#80 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 12:46 PM

No Cronkite is among the greatest but I would still hand off the title best to Edward Murrow. He faced down a out of control witchhunt and helped to bring it to a stop.

I am sad I never got to see him except out of documentaries. I could only form an real opinion of him from that.

TANSTAAFL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GW Bush, Bathroom

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users