• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#201 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:14 AM

IOW the scope for interpretation is broad.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#202 LoPs Bro

LoPs Bro
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:16 PM

But shun profane and idle babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness.

2Timothy 2:16

But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife.

2 Timothy 2:23

#203 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:39 AM

I'm not seeing a lot of actual answers from the "Answer Man."  What's up with that?!  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#204 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:44 AM

View PostNonny, on Jul 11 2006, 11:39 AM, said:

I'm not seeing a lot of actual answers from the "Answer Man."  What's up with that?!  

Nonny

I'd like to know too.  :eh:

#205 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:16 PM

View PostMuseZack, on Sep 20 2005, 08:20 AM, said:

The folks at religioustolerance.org have a really cool site that gives answers of a lot of different Christian denominations to these questions.  Their FAQ on the different ideas of who gets saved and how is at http://www.religious...rg/salvatio.htm .

Great site. Thanks, Zack!
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#206 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:19 PM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Sep 19 2005, 09:21 PM, said:

LoPs Bro, on Sep 18 2005, 11:28 PM, said:

Let the questions begin!!!!! :)

Bro

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Becareful of what you wish for.  ;)

First things first. Welcome to the OT.

Now for the questions.

In the beginning GOD made ADAM and EVE, who had two children. Cain killed Able. Then they had more children. Who it says then went to the villages and towns and started their own families.

So my question is: Where did these other people come from?

Abel didn't have any more children, because he was dead.

Kind of amazing, isn't it, that the first pair of siblings couldn't manage to get along and one killed the other.  Do you suppose God had an "Oops!" moment? :p

Edited by Rhea, 11 July 2006 - 08:32 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#207 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:27 PM

View PostLoPs Bro, on Sep 20 2005, 10:46 PM, said:

LoPs Bro, on Sep 20 2005, 10:40 PM, said:

MuseZack, on Sep 20 2005, 08:20 AM, said:

There was an interesting poll of Americans' religious beliefs a while back.  Here's one of the most interesting questions asked:

Can a good person who isn't of your religious faith go to heaven or attain salvation, or not?" Results were:
Group           Yes, they can attain heaven No, they cannot attain heaven
Evangelical Protestants: 68%                                  22%
Other Protestants        83%                                    10%
Roman Catholics        91%                                     3%
Non-Christians          73%                                     3%
American population 79%                                    12%

It's fascinating that even a large majority of evangelical protestants take a rather expansive view of who gets into heaven.

That is because there are a growing number of liberal preachers who are turning their backs on the Word of God and influencing their flocks.
The folks at religioustolerance.org have a really cool site that gives answers of a lot of different Christian denominations to these questions.  Their FAQ on the different ideas of who gets saved and how is at http://www.religious...rg/salvatio.htm .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry but I did not post that link to religious tolerance.org.

Zack posted that link, as is obvious from the rest of his post.
- Robert A. Heinlein

#208 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:31 PM

View PostLoPs Bro, on Sep 20 2005, 10:51 PM, said:

deMona, on Sep 20 2005, 10:45 PM, said:

LoPs Bro, on Sep 21 2005, 12:20 AM, said:

So, when a perdom dies in that place of rejection of Jesus Christ they are saying they don't want to have anything to do with God, so He honors their choice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes, but we are talking about ppl who have never had the opportunity to reject Christ.  there are ppl in this world who have never heard the holy name of Jesus but who have lived their lives in such a way that one may assume, were they given the opportunity, they would have accepted Him.   so it is possible they may be saved in good faith.

LoPs Bro, on Sep 21 2005, 12:14 AM, said:

Paul said in 2Timothy:3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.
And Peter said in 2Peter 1:20,21: "Knowing this first, that no proohecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man; But holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost" these are just a couple.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the quotes you've given speak to the Divine origins of Scripture, of which there can be no question, but not of Scripture as the SOLE source of Christian doctrine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The acceptable criteria for something to become church doctrine is: Did Jesus teach it, was it practiced within the early church in the book of Acts, and was it taught in the epistles. This is the best criteria because it keeps doctrine scripturally sound. Many groups have twisted the scriptures to fit their doctrine insteat of making their doctrine fit scripture which has lead to much confusion and God is not the god of cunfusion but of order.

What group do you belong to?
- Robert A. Heinlein

#209 LoPs Bro

LoPs Bro
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:57 PM

But let all those rejoice who put their trust in You;
Let them ever shout for joy, because You defend them;
Let those who also love Your name be joyful in You.
For You, oh Lord, will bless the righteous; with favor You will surround him as with a shield.

Psalm 5: 11,12

#210 LoPs Bro

LoPs Bro
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:59 PM

View PostRhea, on Jul 11 2006, 06:31 PM, said:

View PostLoPs Bro, on Sep 20 2005, 10:51 PM, said:

deMona, on Sep 20 2005, 10:45 PM, said:

LoPs Bro, on Sep 21 2005, 12:20 AM, said:

So, when a perdom dies in that place of rejection of Jesus Christ they are saying they don't want to have anything to do with God, so He honors their choice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes, but we are talking about ppl who have never had the opportunity to reject Christ.  there are ppl in this world who have never heard the holy name of Jesus but who have lived their lives in such a way that one may assume, were they given the opportunity, they would have accepted Him.   so it is possible they may be saved in good faith.

LoPs Bro, on Sep 21 2005, 12:14 AM, said:

Paul said in 2Timothy:3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.
And Peter said in 2Peter 1:20,21: "Knowing this first, that no proohecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man; But holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost" these are just a couple.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the quotes you've given speak to the Divine origins of Scripture, of which there can be no question, but not of Scripture as the SOLE source of Christian doctrine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The acceptable criteria for something to become church doctrine is: Did Jesus teach it, was it practiced within the early church in the book of Acts, and was it taught in the epistles. This is the best criteria because it keeps doctrine scripturally sound. Many groups have twisted the scriptures to fit their doctrine insteat of making their doctrine fit scripture which has lead to much confusion and God is not the god of cunfusion but of order.

What group do you belong to?

2Timothy 3:16 group.

#211 Mystery

Mystery

The Oncoming Storm

• Dead account
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 11:35 PM

Hey LOPbro, do you think Shroud of Turin was really burial shoud of Jesus, or fake?
Extreme times that told me
They held me down every night
I didn't have much to say
I didn't get above the light
I closed my eyes and closed myself
And closed my world and never opened
Up to anything
That could get me alone
---Moby

#212 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:23 AM

Your habit of writing posts that consist entirely of a Bible quote without a bit of explanation of why you wrote them or what they're responses to or what you mean by them is downright cryptic. What's that about?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Christianity, Bible, Questions

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users