• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 03:50 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9368952
Interesting followup to the Meet the Press show of two weeks ago.

#2 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 04:21 PM

related link:
http://www.exisle.ne...ndpost&p=686934
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#3 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:42 PM

Thank you for your up date Julianus, it's something that all of us need to read.

Though I'm guessing that there will be people who won't.

The failure of the nursing home operators to move their residents when askes/ offered is just a huge tragedy that is totally inexcuseable.

This is no excuse, but the fact that so many times we residents of the Gulf Coast have been told to evacuate, and then had the storm fizzle.. it just makes so many people indecisive or complacent...and sadly this time lives were lost...
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#4 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:16 PM

The man was emotional and got his facts mixed up...it's happened before and to people that I know.  Their emotion overwhelms them. And his emotion IMO was genuine...even if he got the story wrong.

A lot of this was a combination of factors...the stress this people were under trying to hold it all together and rescue folks while being victims themselves....and being promised help that seemed to take forever to come.  Remember that when you are in a crisis situation time seems to move differently.

The truth is that  a wrong decision was made by the nursing home owners that led to deaths...be they on Monday or Friday.  I'm not personally very comfortable with  those bodies being there as long as they were.

Edited by trikay, 19 September 2005 - 08:21 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#5 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 03:44 AM

Thanks for posting the link Scherzo. It provides the context for this subject as dicussed on this board. :)

#6 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 04:08 AM

Ave Shalamar,

Shalamar, on Sep 19 2005, 11:24 PM, said:

Thank you for your up date Julianus, it's something that all of us need to read.

Though I'm guessing that there will be people who won't.

The failure of the nursing home operators to move their residents when askes/ offered is just a huge tragedy that is totally inexcuseable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The decision of the nursing home operators not to move their patients out in a timely manner does boggle my mind considering the relative helplessness of the people for whom they were responsible.

Shalamar, on Sep 19 2005, 11:24 PM, said:

This is no excuse, but the fact that so many times we residents of the Gulf Coast have been told to evacuate, and then had the storm fizzle.. it just makes so many people indecisive or complacent...and sadly this time lives were lost...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Katrina, unfortunately, did turn out to be "the Big One." While there has been a rush to assign blame to various levels of government and their agencies, the storm itself has to get most of the blame for the devastation and lives lost. The response to the storm could have been better, but the power of the storm, the size of the area affected and the geography of the region were the main factors by far in the devastation created.
Best of luck to you in getting things squared away down there.
Julianus

#7 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 04:17 AM

trikay, on Sep 20 2005, 01:16 AM, said:

The man was emotional and got his facts mixed up...it's happened before and to people that I know.  Their emotion overwhelms them. And his emotion IMO was genuine...even if he got the story wrong.

A lot of this was a combination of factors...the stress this people were under trying to hold it all together and rescue folks while being victims themselves....and being promised help that seemed to take forever to come.  Remember that when you are in a crisis situation time seems to move differently.

The truth is that  a wrong decision was made by the nursing home owners that led to deaths...be they on Monday or Friday.  I'm not personally very comfortable with  those bodies being there as long as they were.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mr. Broussard will get to explain himself to his consituents if he wants. As you say stressful situations can cause people to mix up facts. Mr. Broussard not only was dealing with the ravages of the storm, but also having to go on national television. That induces its own stress, and would not be on my list of "things to do," but it is part of a public official's responsibility to make a case for his people.

Edited by Julianus, 20 September 2005 - 04:17 AM.

#8 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:43 AM

Maybe it sounds like something a public official should not do but given the stress of the situation all of them found themselves in I do believe the man had an emotional meltdown on camera....

And yes he will have to explain himself to his constituents...but even our elected officials are only human and their emotions especially in the face of such tragedy and despair is understandable.

It doesn't look good but I would rather see some emotion...albeit an emotional outburst with tears etc...than the cold dry delivery most give.   Even if he got mixed up and gave wrong facts it was from an emotional place and made me realize how utterly desperate and abandoned these people felt.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Nursing Homes, Broussard, Meet the Press

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users