#1 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:45 AM

CNN, on Tuesday, September 20, 2005; Posted: 5:27 a.m. EDT (09:27 GMT), said:

Nazi hunter Wiesenthal dead at 96
Holocaust survivor dedicated his life to fighting prejudice

LOS ANGELES (CNN) -- Simon Wiesenthal, the Holocaust survivor who helped track down Nazi war criminals following World War II and spent the later decades of his life fighting anti-Semitism and prejudice, has died aged 96.

Full Article

Edited by emsparks, 20 September 2005 - 05:46 AM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:03 AM

I have mixed feelings about mr. Wiesenthal, but I greatly respect his dedication. Rest in Peace

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:42 AM

Why do you have mixed feelings about him?
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:04 AM

A couple of reasons

Primarily because there are many conflicts between what he said, and what others said. Too much of what he said has either been discredited, exposed as plagiarism, or been wildly inaccurate.

Also, his determination at times had many aspects of zealotry to it, and that always concerns me in someone with a great deal of power, be it personal, political or financial.

The fact that he has gone out of his way to imply that he helped capture Eichmann, while Isser Harel who headed the team that caught him has always denied this. He has refuted pretty much all of Wiesenthal's statements in that regard.

"All the information supplied by Wiesenthal before and in anticipation of the [Eichmann] operation was utterly worthless, and sometimes even misleading and of negative value."

which is a cite from the nov 12, 1993 issue of Forward

He has either lied, or misremembered details about Mengele, Eichmann Frank Walus and others. He has claimed that people were killed in camps who later turned out alive, and claimed a former campmate saw mengele, when the woman in question had never been interred.

I don't deny that he did good during his work, but his track record leaves me with a lot of doubt.

Edited by Godeskian, 20 September 2005 - 09:04 AM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#5 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:08 AM

He fought the good fight for a very long time, and fought it hard.  May he rest in peace now, but may the fight go on.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#6 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 11:46 AM

God speed your journey Mr. Wiesenthal.

The Wiesenthal Center has the NY Tolerance Center in NYC which does tolerance training projects for such groups as firefighters and the police, as well as others. I don't know about the claims being made, but when a person lives his or her life such as to inspire others to become more appreciative of the humanity of others, they've done their service in life, I believe.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:21 PM

QueenTiye, on Sep 20 2005, 08:46 AM, said:

God speed your journey Mr. Wiesenthal.

The Wiesenthal Center has the NY Tolerance Center in NYC which does tolerance training projects for such groups as firefighters and the police, as well as others. I don't know about the claims being made, but when a person lives his or her life such as to inspire others to become more appreciative of the humanity of others, they've done their service in life, I believe.

QT

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What QT said.  :pout:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#8 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:40 PM

RIP sir
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Simon Wiesenthal, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users