Hurricane Rita NOLA 2005

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:49 PM

Didn't see another thread on this, soo...

http://news.yahoo.co...tropical_storms

New Orleans readied itself for a new evacuation on Tuesday amid fears that a new hurricane threatening to hit the Gulf of Mexico could wreak fresh havoc in the city devastated by Hurricane Katrina. Mayor Ray Nagin, whose ambitious plans to bring residents home had been questioned by U.S. President George W. Bush, urged anyone remaining in the city to leave ahead of Hurricane Rita, which he warned could swamp the levees that collapsed and flooded the city three weeks ago.

Nagin got ahead of himself and now...  :eh:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#2 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 02:32 PM

I do think it would be rather tragic if, God forbid, this new thing gathered strength across the Gulf to Cat4 then hurled its wide-ass lil self into Houston just as a great many evacuees from NewO are trying to make new lives there, and also the hospitable helping Houston natives get one on their heads after all their trouble helping ... talk about a bad bargain, talk about bad Karma!

let's all get some positive mindwaves going on here to help some good joss to be happenin around over there ;)
( I don't think there are any islands in the middle, or oil rigs that far out that it could dissipate itself upon, wonder if these can just blow out and decline in open warm waters)
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#3 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 02:59 PM

She's half way there...

Rita has strengthened to Cat 2.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#4 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 04:32 AM

Now a Cat 3. The 5am discussion from the NHC mentions this (and yeah, I'm twitching)

However...it would not be a surprise if Rita became a category five hurricane in the next 24 hr before weakening somewhat due to a concentric eyewall cycle or the lower ocean heat content west of The Loop current.  Rita should maintain major hurricane status until landfall...then weaken after landfall.

Edited by Shoshana, 21 September 2005 - 04:32 AM.

#5 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:47 AM

It's a Cat 4 now.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#6 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:16 AM

^ I just saw that. Now 3 of our tv stations are saying we'll have hurricane force winds here. I'm not sure I agree...  but we'll find out more as today goes on....

I think I need more Tums... ;)

#7 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:07 AM

:(  I hope the winds don't blow your way, Shoshana...

The good thing is that some lessons learned from Katrina are helping the local, state, and federal governments prepare for this as well as they can. Rita won't make landfall until Saturday, but they're already moving assets into position and conducting evacuations. And the evacuations should be close to 100% now that people saw what the Katrina victims went through.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#8 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:18 AM

offworlder, on Sep 20 2005, 02:32 PM, said:

I do think it would be rather tragic if, God forbid, this new thing gathered strength across the Gulf to Cat4 then hurled its wide-ass lil self into Houston just as a great many evacuees from NewO are trying to make new lives there, and also the hospitable helping Houston natives get one on their heads after all their trouble helping ... talk about a bad bargain, talk about bad Karma!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well it's already a Cat 4. I agree though, it would be messed up if it hit Houston, where a lot of Katrina refugees are. Talk about a mindgame. I know if that was me I'd be asking GOD: "WTF is your problem?"

In all honesty, and this is going to sound f**ked up, but I do hope it turns north and hits NO again.

Now before people start shouting: "What? Why would you wish that? That's F**ked up."

NO is already seriously damaged from Katrina. Due to the evacuations there really isn't that many civilians there, in harms way. And if it hits, it's hitting areas that are already seriously damaged, or destroyed. In short, not causing massive new damage that'll cost millions, if not billions, of dollars.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#9 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:57 AM

I'm with you LotS.  Let's not cause new damage.

***Is easily distracted***

#10 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 04:27 PM

{{{{Shoshana}}}} Given the latest round of forcasts, I'd say get out, if there's somewhere to go. As for New Orleans, it's, unfortunatly, unlikly that Rita will turn enough to hit the already destroyed areas. However, the levees are still leaking and unstable, and so the massive rain from the NorthEastern thunderstorm bands will probably cause flooding again.
Yes, I am an economist. Yes, I do frequently sing "Can't Buy Me Love". No, I don't see any contradiction there.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hurricane Rita, NOLA, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users