• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#1 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 03:16 PM

Right now CNN is reporting that Rita has winds of 165mph a cat 5 storm

Edited by emsparks, 25 September 2005 - 04:27 PM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 03:19 PM

well crap.

any chance that hitting land is going to slow it down, or is the Texas gulf about to be washed away?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 03:21 PM

We'll still be here.....  and mostly intact
although waterlogged

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#4 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,493 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 03:25 PM

It could well weaken, but even a 4 or 3 isnothing to sneeze at.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#5 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 03:27 PM

I'm also concerned about my cousin.   Last I heard, he lives in Texas.

#6 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 03:29 PM

where at?  This is a rather large state...  Katrina could have hit us full on and still had major parts of the state completely uneffected by it.

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#7 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 03:31 PM

Cardie, on Sep 21 2005, 03:25 PM, said:

It could well weaken, but even a 4 or 3 isnothing to sneeze at.

Cardie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, those o' girls can really blow. :lol:

Forgive me ladies.  I couldn't resist. :D

#8 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 03:36 PM

Glad to see ya back, D.O. ... we worried you'd gotten scragged by the Mississippi chaos. :)

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#9 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:14 PM

Thankfully, we'll probably just get some rain from her but I'm really worried about Texas. All my relatives are mostly around the Dallas area so they should be safe but Galveston and the others.... :eek:

Someone just gave me this link about it:

http://www.abc.net.a...09/s1465708.htm

#10 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:41 PM

Damn. Landfall is expected to be early Saturday, probably just west of Galveston. There's a chance it may weaken a little as it approaches the coast, so we can hope for that at least.

Galveston is being evacuated and they're also doing a voluntary evacuation of Houston. If that thing stays strong and hits Galveston, Houston will be affected, too.

Max Mayfield said that the entire Gulf Coast, including New Orleans and Mississippi is likely to get a storm surge out of this thing. Nothing as drastic for New Orleans and Mississippi as Katrina, of course, but they may get more coastal flooding. This thing is another monster.

Unbelieveable. If this keeps up, most of the Gulf Coast is going to be homeless before the end of hurricane season.

Edited by Spectacles, 21 September 2005 - 06:26 PM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#11 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:45 PM

I hope Shal is already out of there :(

#12 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:22 PM

LOL Nope not planning to leave unlesss it become mandatory for my area of Houston, and this is fairly high ground here, and while the streets flood a bit the town house complex doesn't.

The highways are a disaster zone, with vehicles inching along at less than ten miles an hour, as people head inland from the coast - Galveston, Texas City, Clear Lake and other, either directly on the coast, or along Galveston bay and the Ship Channel- both of which will be subject to the storm surge - get a good Texas map and look at how far inland the Ship Channel is and gulp a bit.

The local radios are reporting that there is not a hotel room, bnb, inn, etc to be found between Houston and west of San Antonio, Austin, Centervill, and I think now they are saying Dallas as well. That is a huge arc of land where if they are correct every room to let has beeen taken, and some of my coworkers are heading all the way to the Texas Mexico border, and others out to El Paso, the western most point all but in the state.

I am most worried about power being out, Centerpoint, who does the generation, and maintains the lines is saying if we loose it we are looking at 2 weeks to get it back. And Centerpoint ( I worked for them for 5 years ) doesn't exagerate, and is definitely one of the most professional line companies in the whole US- they've been doing it for well over 120 years, and are the first repsonders when other compainies, in other states need help. They are expecting this one to be bad.

I seriously hope they've flubed thier estimates this time.

The company I work for currently will be open tomorrow, but closed Friday - the city asked businesses this morning to please close Thurday and Friday and all non essential's really are following that request.

I'll be on line as much as I can, and if it begins to looks bad, will let you all know as soon as I can if going off.

Edited by Shalamar, 21 September 2005 - 06:23 PM.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#13 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:43 PM

Shal: I'll be on line as much as I can, and if it begins to looks bad, will let you all know as soon as I can if going off.

Thanks, Shal. Please keep us posted.

I went through Katrina worried to death about Balderdash, who had to move inland twice--once during the storm because the roof was about to blow off of the shelter she was in fifty miles north of Lake Pontchartrain. If this thing is like Katrina, and right now it is, the winds will be ferocious well inland. So, I hope y'all decide to load up and take a long road trip tomorrow. Friday will probably be gridlock. Better safe than sorry. :(
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#14 Nialla

Nialla
  • Islander
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:55 PM

Chatterbox, on Sep 21 2005, 04:14 PM, said:

[color=#9400d3]Thankfully, we'll probably just get some rain from her but I'm really worried about Texas. All my relatives are mostly around the Dallas area so they should be safe but Galveston and the others.... :eek:

Dallas won't get the brunt of it, but the area can still get hammered. I'm north of Dallas, and the big concern here seems to be heavy rain, high winds and possible tornadoes. The last time a hurricane remant went over, I remember watching three funnel clouds going by all in a row.

North Texas is bone dry right now, and we need the rain, but this isn't exactly how we wanted it.
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffled their pockets for new vocabulary."
~ James D. Nicoll

#15 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:04 PM

Good luck Shal.
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#16 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:12 PM

Good luck Shal :hugs:

#17 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:37 PM

I'm up here in the Piney Woods of East Texas,  not far from Huntsville ( one of the evacuation destinations for Galveston folks)

My biggest concern is the high winds.  I live in a heavily wooded subdivision and am looking at the trees around the house, wondering if they will hold up or come crashing down into the house

Probably will go to my mother's.  Not far away but not so many trees around her place.

I went to the stores today to get water and supplies.  They were needed but it was a real scavenger hunt to locate water.  

My newspaper lady's son works at the Walmart in Huntsville and said that  the police had to be called last night as there were fights over tyhe last of the water.   They did receive shipments today but you had better be there when they brought it out on the floor as it went fast.  

Shelves picked pretty bare so I was glad I went this morning and only returned to pick up my daughter's asthma meds. And a total madhouse in the store and parking lot

edited to add ----Good luck Shal and Corwin..and anyone else from Texas...will be thinking about you and thinking good thoughts.

Edited by trikay, 21 September 2005 - 07:38 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#18 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:09 PM

Zwolf666, on Sep 21 2005, 03:36 PM, said:

Glad to see ya back, D.O. ... we worried you'd gotten scragged by the Mississippi chaos. :)

Cheers,

Zwolf

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wasn't too bad.  She huffed and puffed, but she couldn't blow our house down.  However, we were w/o power for about a week,  and w/o phone service for 3.  No phone service = no internet connection = no posting.  But I'm glad to be back.  It's nice that ya'll actually missed me. :)

Oh, forgot to mention that Gallman is on a hill, so, ya' know...no floods.

Good luck to and everyone in Rita's path.  We're with ya'. :)

Edited by Dizaster Overkill, 21 September 2005 - 08:16 PM.

#19 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:22 PM

{{{{{{{{{{{Shal, trikay, Corwin, all our friends in the area}}}}}}}}}}}

Stay safe, everybody.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#20 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:25 PM

Take care of yourself Shal you're going to hit be a lot of rain that's for sure, I hope all of our other east Texas Islers are safe as well.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Hurricane Rita, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users