• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#141 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:34 AM

Okay.... It's Monday morning.... and I'm at work... YAY!!!  :)

In fact... both Shal and I were requested to show up for work today, which is great!  

The weather was VERY humid but quite nice coming in, but I'm expecting heat index temps of around 115 by the time I leave work and drive home with no a/c but the twin70 cooling system.  I'm just hoping the traffic is light on the way home because I really don't want to spend another 5 hours on the road.....

Damage across the Houston area was VERY light from what I've personally seen.  A few trees, some limbs and one or two signs is about the extent of it.  

As of this morning, about 200,000 people are without power.  Most are expected to have it restored within 3 days if not sooner.  But I understand that most of the power infrastructure is down and will have to be replaced (mostly power poles and lines)

EDITED::::   The power lines are down in Jasper, TX, NOT Houston....  This is the area where they are saying it could take up to a month to restore most power.
(posting at work again and not paying attention.....)

Corwin

Edited by Corwin, 26 September 2005 - 08:38 AM.

"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#142 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:02 AM

I am sitting here with the kids at home for the next two days due to school cancellation. But at least I have electricity and AC  :D

What I have heard of as far as storm damage is mostly all wind-related.  Some roofs damaged, trees knocked down. And power lines down.

Most of my little town has power but my family who live a little further down the road....are without power still and tempers are flaring as can be expected in the heat without power, AC, tv anything like that....

They should have power restored within the week tho.  Their power company, Sam Houston Electric Co-op has three 138 kV transmission lines down but they said that is affecting other areas more than them.  The more damaged areas are closer to the Louisiana border

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#143 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:20 AM

{{{{{{{Corwin, Shal, trikay}}}}}}}

Glad you're all okay.  :)  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#144 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:33 AM

Thanks Nonny!

The worst thing that happened all weekend (besides the boredom) was our cable and internet connection died last night for about 4 hours....

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Hurricane Rita, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users