• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#21 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:33 PM

:lol: My only problem now is these frakin' love bugs.  They're not harmful, they're just numorous.

#22 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:10 PM

Dizaster Overkill, on Sep 22 2005, 01:33 AM, said:

:lol: My only problem now is these frakin' love bugs.  They're not harmful, they're just numorous.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL

Yep...lovebugs...the scourge of the Gulf Coast

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#23 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,499 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:24 PM

Stay safe Shal and other Texans.  don't take any chances--this is another monster.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#24 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:24 PM

The experts are still saying landfall near Matagorda Island which is about 100 South of Galveston along the coast.  (Most people really have no real idea of exactly how big Texas is until they drive across it all day long.. and half the night...)  If the storm stays a Cat 5, we here in Houston would still be getting pretty close to Cat 1 winds, plus we are on the bad side to get extra rain and storm surge... Storm surge in Galveston is expected to be at about 18-20 feet.. which is 3 feet higher than the sea wall.  

I can attest that the evacuation of Galveston is going very, very well... It took me 5 hours to get home from work this evening.  By tomorrow evening, about 95% of the coastal area (Galveston, Baytown, flood plain) will have completed evacuations.  Very few people are trying to stay through this one and while traffic is a mess, it is an organized mess and most people are being patient.  However, I did see a few idiots on the road that I really wanted a TOW rocket for.... Jerks!!

All of the outlying hospitals will be emptied of patients by tomorrow and are shutting down everything except for emergency services.  By this evening 80% of the patients in the hospital where I work have already been evacuated and only mission critical personnel are working starting tomorrow morning.

Shal and I are taping up windows tonight and are already pretty well set for food and water.  Because we are outside the primary flood zones, we are staying here.  Neither of us could really afford to go anywhere anyway, and neither of us would leave the cats here through that.  Both of us survived the floods of Allison and while this storm will produce a lot stronger winds, it shouldn't have the amount of rain that Allison dumped.

Anyway, more later as my mind decompresses from the insane nightmare of a freeway that most people call a parking lot.

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#25 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:28 PM

Take care Shal (((Shal))), you, Corwin and the kittays.

Heh Galveston has been steamrolled by hurricanes before, submerged at least once at the turn of the 1900s.  Texas City was almost blown off the map (literally) in the disaster of 1947.

Them Texans are a tough bunch.

Wonder what the Katrina refugees are thinking about when a Cat 5 comes barreling after them in the place they ran to?

#26 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:44 PM

Shalamar, on Sep 21 2005, 11:22 PM, said:

LOL Nope not planning to leave unlesss it become mandatory for my area of Houston, and this is fairly high ground here, and while the streets flood a bit the town house complex doesn't.

The highways are a disaster zone, with vehicles inching along at less than ten miles an hour, as people head inland from the coast - Galveston, Texas City, Clear Lake and other, either directly on the coast, or along Galveston bay and the Ship Channel- both of which will be subject to the storm surge - get a good Texas map and look at how far inland the Ship Channel is and gulp a bit.

The local radios are reporting that there is not a hotel room, bnb, inn, etc to be found between Houston and west of San Antonio, Austin, Centervill, and I think now they are saying Dallas as well. That is a huge arc of land where if they are correct every room to let has beeen taken, and some of my coworkers are heading all the way to the Texas Mexico border, and others out to El Paso, the western most point all but in the state.

I am most worried about power being out, Centerpoint, who does the generation, and maintains the lines is saying if we loose it we are looking at 2 weeks to get it back. And Centerpoint ( I worked for them for 5 years ) doesn't exagerate, and is definitely one of the most professional line companies in the whole US- they've been doing it for well over 120 years, and are the first repsonders when other compainies, in other states need help. They are expecting this one to be bad.

I seriously hope they've flubed thier estimates this time.

The company I work for currently will be open tomorrow, but closed Friday - the city asked businesses this morning to please close Thurday and Friday and all non essential's really are following that request.

I'll be on line as much as I can, and if it begins to looks bad, will let you all know as soon as I can if going off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shal,
We're full up in the D/FW area but I heard this afternoon on the radio that Tarrant County is opening shelters.  I believe I heard Burleson.  In my city, we were going to close our shelters this Friday because the 1200 evacuees we had have received housing vouchers and will now have other accommodations.  I wouldn't be surprised if our shelters remain open for the Rita evacuees.

The thing I worry about is 165 mph winds super magnified when they rip through downtown Houston, which already has wind channeling problems.   I'd stay away from downtown as much as possible - bound to be lots of flying debris and glass.

Stay safe or head up to the D/FW area.  I've heard Arkansas and Oklahoma are getting ready to take Rita evacuees also.

#27 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 12:04 AM

Shal and Corwin - Austin is opening shelters - actually they're already open - and they're taking pets. Just have leashes and carriers for them.

There's a voluntary evacuation for Bellaire now - I didn't think they weree part of the official ABC plan. They must flood....

Please stay safe!!!!

'shana

http://www.ci.austin...information.htm

The greater Austin area welcomes Hurricane Rita evacuees
For immediate release
September 21, 2005

All hotels in the Central Texas area are full. Do not anticipate finding a hotel room.

If possible, seek shelter with a friend, or family member.

Pets will be accepted at area shelter sites. However, they will be housed in a separate pet area and will not be allowed in the shelter itself.

For up-to-date information on the shelter that is currently open, as well as information for persons with trailers, campers and livestock, tune to KLBJ 590AM radio.

At a minimum, this information will be updated by KLBJ on the half-hour.

DO NOT CALL 9-1-1 unless you have a true emergency.

Call (512) 974-1110 for more information.

Edited by Shoshana, 22 September 2005 - 12:05 AM.

#28 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 12:23 AM

Shal and I just got back from a last run for a few things...

The store shelves in Randall's and Walmart looked like they had already been looted. :crazy:  
some of them are still low on supplies from sending items to help the Katrina victims and ran out earlier than normal.

Also... I'm hoping the stations around here have gasoline in the morning.. they were all out tonight with long lines on the couple that did have gas... at only somewhat inflated prices....

This will not be fun, but it will be survivable and both Shal and I know exactly what to expect.  We are also in an area not prone to intensive flooding.

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#29 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 12:27 AM

Bellaire is one of the independant cities within the greater city of Houston - we have a number of these as Houston keeps expanding like some sort of 'Blob that ate south east Texas'...

and yeah it does tend to flood as that area is lower than the land around it -

And while Corwin is convinced that it's going to go southwest of Houston, I have a feeling that it's coming in more directly towards Houston.  It's just a feeling though.

We just had our first chance to try and get gasoline. Not a store in the area has any.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#30 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 12:30 AM

Has anyone figured out where to move the refugees in the Astrodome.

As I remember Galveston is VERY close to Houston..
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#31 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 12:36 AM

everyone from the Astrodome and other shelters were evacuated earlier in the week to other places in the state or other states.

Both on Tuesday and Wednesday, the Houston mayor was stating that everyone would be evacuated because the Astrodome and other convention centers are NOT a safe place to be during even a Cat 2 storm.

Corwin

#32 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 12:37 AM

oh.. and yeah.. Galveston is about 60 miles South.... depending on where you are in Houston....  

Corwin

#33 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 12:39 AM

Is there any chance of it taking out Bush's place in Crawford? That would be so ironic.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#34 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 01:13 AM

Shal, Corwin, hope this one gives you guys a miss. (((( Shal ))))
(((( Corwin ))))

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#35 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,482 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 01:37 AM

Good luck all (Texans and LAs).  May this be a mere puddle to cross in your path of life. :)
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#36 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 05:52 AM

Attached File  untitled.JPG   3.03K   22 downloads

#37 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:16 AM

The predictions this morning are for landfall very close to Galveston if not right on the city.

Will be making my final decision tonight as I am upstate from Houston but still in the area of predicted high winds and heavy rain...in a rural subdivision where the drainage for the run-off is not good. And I am in mobile home that is tied down very securely but must make decisions based on what is best and safest for my kids

I did have someone who offerd me shelter at their place in the Dallas area but not sure I want to take a chance on getting stranded in the midst of the storm on the highway.  Too many people spending hours on the road and cars are breaking down and overheating.  

Huntsville shelters are full and they are sending people on up the road toward Dallas.

And LotS...if this storm wiped out Crawford we'd be in REAL big trouble as Crawford is in WEST Texas....way, wayyyyyy inland

There would be nothing left...no Houston, no Galveston NOTHING!! left if that were the case

Edited by trikay, 22 September 2005 - 07:18 AM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#38 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:24 AM

Crawford is just outside Waco, not in West Texas.  It's within the cone of the projected eye path.
Posted Image

#39 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:38 AM

Shal and Corwin, I wish y'all would leave. I understand the reluctance, but if this thing is as big as Katrina at landfall, there is going to be considerable wind damage well inland. Think about the damage done in Mississippi all the way up to Jackson, and that's much farther from the coast than Houston is.

Is there any way you can take the cats and drive out of the storm's projected path? Maybe sleep in the car at a campsite or something?

Edited by Spectacles, 22 September 2005 - 07:39 AM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#40 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:47 AM

Guys, toss the kitties in the car and head for Austin or SA if you possibly can.  This thing might swing north,  but right now it looks as though it could go right over you.  Not good; don't take chances.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Hurricane Rita, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users