46 replies to this topic

#21 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 06:41 AM

Three points:  

One, this notion that the Dixie Chicks suffered some kind of spontaneous fan backlash is bogus and has already been discredited.  Their album is still at number 1 in the Country charts after 33 weeks of release after selling 6 million copies and their concert tour is sold out at nearly every venue (cancellations have been insignificant).  This recent publicity push will probably just increase sales more.  The "backlash" such as it was, was orchestrated by a handful of Clear Channel-controlled deejays and GOPteamleader fax blasts sent to sympathetic talk radio hosts attempting to police the boundaries of accepted discourse by smearing critics as unpatriotic and giving aid and comfort to the enemy.

Two, the whole idea of boycotting artists based on their political stands just strikes me as stupid and infantile.  I don't think much of Arnold Shwarzenagger or Charlton Heston politically, but I'm not gonna take a bulldozer to my Terminator or Planet of the Apes DVDs.  And Wagner's politics were downright despicable, but that doesn't make his music kick any less ass.

Three, anyone who doesn't like the nude EW cover, think of it this way.  It could have been a lot worse-- they could have had a naked Michael Moore instead.  :crazy:  :eek2:

Zack
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#22 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 06:44 AM

^   :eek2:  :eek2:  :eek2:

[Uncle from Jackie Chan Adventures (don't mind the boring Saturday morning cartoon watcher! ;) )] Hay---ahhh!!! [/Uncle]

That's probably the worst mental image of the day!!!!  

Chipper *runs away*
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#23 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 06:48 AM

Zack, please, please, do not give EW any ideas!

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#24 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 06:49 AM

Zack:

Well my man, that was a downright "rip-snorting" post there...;)

*with which I agree*

I find it interesting that so many revile Wagner for his politics when Mozart's were just about as appalling.  :eek:

Whatevah.

Lil
Posted Image

#25 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 07:51 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Apr 24 2003, 09:33 PM, said:

I find it interesting that so many revile Wagner for his politics when Mozart's were just about as appalling.
...especially when you consider that most of what most people think was so wrong wtih Wagner was actually falsely attributed to him either by Nietzsche, by the Nazis, or by the Nazis' creative attributions of Nitzsche...

#26 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 09:20 AM

Delvo, on Apr 25 2003, 05:35 AM, said:

Una Salus Lillius, on Apr 24 2003, 09:33 PM, said:

I find it interesting that so many revile Wagner for his politics when Mozart's were just about as appalling.
...especially when you consider that most of what most people think was so wrong wtih Wagner was actually falsely attributed to him either by Nietzsche, by the Nazis, or by the Nazis' creative attributions of Nitzsche...

Thank you Delvo.
Posted Image

#27 Guest-AleisterCrowley-Guest

Guest-AleisterCrowley-Guest

Posted 25 April 2003 - 09:40 AM

Here's the "dope" on that.  The only charge I've heard leveled against Wagner that is true is that he was an Anti-semite.  This was true, and led to a split between he and Nietzsche.  Despite what the Nazis claimed, Nietzsche thought the Jews were a fascinating race and quite superior due to the way they had risen above their persecutions.

But Wagner?  Not a very nice person.

What hath this to do with the Dixie Chicks???

#28 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 09:46 AM

^

Chalk it up to the evolution of a discussion.

'Tis a common happenstance around here.;)

Lil
Posted Image

#29 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 10:00 AM

You mean I'm going to be hearing that frelling song 'Mirror in the Sky' on my radio station again? Oh please no.

Rommie cranks up his CD player in his car.

Rommie :cylon:
Posted Image

#30 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 10:04 AM

Don't forget while Nietzsche might not have been anti-semite, he was very anti-feminine.

He did not believe that Women were an equal species, nor that they could do the same things

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#31 Guest-AleisterCrowley-Guest

Guest-AleisterCrowley-Guest

Posted 25 April 2003 - 10:08 AM

Women aren't equal.
They're superior, as I've had explained to me time and again over the years.

#32 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 10:09 AM

Godeskian, on Apr 25 2003, 07:48 AM, said:

Don't forget while Nietzsche might not have been anti-semite, he was very anti-feminine.

He did not believe that Women were an equal species, nor that they could do the same things
Preachin' to the converted.

This is one reason why I have a real fundamental problem with the idea of a Nietzschean "matriarchy" in which women's roles are making babies unless of course they are (like Quechua) "defective".

But, that's a different discussion.:)
Posted Image

#33 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 10:13 AM

AleisterCrowley, on Apr 25 2003, 06:52 AM, said:

Women aren't equal.
not touching that one with a 10 foot pole  ;)

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#34 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 10:15 AM

AleisterCrowley, on Apr 25 2003, 07:52 AM, said:

Women aren't equal.
hehe.

I like a man who's perceptive.

:devil:
Posted Image

#35 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 04:49 PM

Uncle Sid, on Apr 24 2003, 09:31 PM, said:

The comment at the concert was to play to a certain audience, and now this is to play for another one.  I just wish that our paragons of free speech were more than simply pseudo-pop publicity 'hos.  I think the cover is rather fitting to the pandering nature of this whole thing.  Now instead of simply a forgettable country crossover girl group, they're anti-war martyrs.  Sickening.  If I actually believed in their sincerity, I might be a little less annoyed.  Nothing says "look at me" quite like stripping bare-ass and hopping on the cover of a magazine.
I think you've nailed it, Uncle Sid.

But the Dixie Chicks want not to have to deal with any kind of responsibility or consequences. They spout off about infringements on freedoms that aren't being infringed at all, because they're emotionally unable to handle the fact that the right to do something does not equal freedom from other people's right to react to it when you do it. This is just pitifully childish.

You, too, Delvo.

Edited by Drew, 25 April 2003 - 05:11 PM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#36 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,140 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 05:04 PM

Lets be accurate.
The two sisters can really play. Very good pickers. And Ms Maines can sing like a bird. I don't really like their style, I don't have any of their records, but they are the most popular thing in County music for a reason, they are very very good. They write their own music and play their own instuments, which is a lot more then can be said for most of todays country diva's.
Can't Touch This!!

#37 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 01:58 PM

MuseZack, on Apr 24 2003, 09:25 PM, said:

Three points: 
One, this notion that the Dixie Chicks suffered some kind of spontaneous fan backlash is bogus and has already been discredited.

Three, anyone who doesn't like the nude EW cover, think of it this way.  It could have been a lot worse-- they could have had a naked Michael Moore instead.  :crazy:  :eek2:
It hasn't been discredited by anyone telling the truth, though. Those lauded sold-out concerts were sold out BEFORE this happened, and their recordings' sales have DROPPED a bunch (although not as much as some in the biz expected, which is why they've decided to play their music on the radio after all). And the fans expressed their disgust FIRST, THEN there were business decisions like radio stations not playing them and renting bulldozers at the fans' suggestion. Sorry, but those fun little VRWCs (Vast Right-Wing Conspiracies) just don't get any truer the more of them are cooked up.

As for the cover, yes, it's just sensationalism, but I have been disgusted by a few of their opponents' reactions to it, joking about how supposedly ugly it is. I seriously don't believe anyone really does think these women look so awful; of course not everyone would be attracted, but repelled is another matter entirely, and this kind of mockery and derision makes it sound as if they have Elephant Man Syndrome and is obviously just an infantile way of lashing out at people that some apparently just love to hate now (which largely is from annoyance at the general trend in preachy liberal celebrity loudmouths, not to this case which isn't as bad as several others) and therefor wanted a way to hurt.

#38 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,140 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 05:12 PM

Delvo, on Apr 26 2003, 06:48 AM, said:

MuseZack, on Apr 24 2003, 09:25 PM, said:

Three points: 
One, this notion that the Dixie Chicks suffered some kind of spontaneous fan backlash is bogus and has already been discredited.

Three, anyone who doesn't like the nude EW cover, think of it this way.  It could have been a lot worse-- they could have had a naked Michael Moore instead.  :crazy:  :eek2:
It hasn't been discredited by anyone telling the truth, though. Those lauded sold-out concerts were sold out BEFORE this happened, and their recordings' sales have DROPPED a bunch (although not as much as some in the biz expected, which is why they've decided to play their music on the radio after all). And the fans expressed their disgust FIRST, THEN there were business decisions like radio stations not playing them and renting bulldozers at the fans' suggestion. Sorry, but those fun little VRWCs (Vast Right-Wing Conspiracies) just don't get any truer the more of them are cooked up.

As for the cover, yes, it's just sensationalism, but I have been disgusted by a few of their opponents' reactions to it, joking about how supposedly ugly it is. I seriously don't believe anyone really does think these women look so awful; of course not everyone would be attracted, but repelled is another matter entirely, and this kind of mockery and derision makes it sound as if they have Elephant Man Syndrome and is obviously just an infantile way of lashing out at people that some apparently just love to hate now (which largely is from annoyance at the general trend in preachy liberal celebrity loudmouths, not to this case which isn't as bad as several others) and therefor wanted a way to hurt.
We'll see how the turnout is for their concerts. I think fans will stick with them for the most part. And the albnum stayed at number one, even though the single dissapeared from the radio. There isn't as much backlash as the press makes it sound. Odd since the press is mostly liberal.
Can't Touch This!!

#39 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 06:02 PM

Heard from a freind that a couple of bands are willing to accept DC tickets if folks do not want to see them.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#40 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 06:04 PM

that doesn't make much sense, the Dixie Chicks would still be getting the money.

Defy Gravity!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dixie Chicks, War Protesters, Iraq

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users