• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 06:07 PM

Yeah I did  not disagree. But if they see too many empty seats it's a sign they still have a way to go towards gaining  reacceptance.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#42 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 06:08 PM

Doesn't it also raise questions about the success of the bands making this offer.

To me it sounds like, "you didn't really want to see us, but we'll make ourselves seem more popular by mooching of someone elses fans."

but then i'm cynical when it comes to the entertainment industry

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#43 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 06:22 PM

Once again I do not disagree I just wonder if I could get some of those tickets and sell them on E-Bay and what if any profit I could make off it. The joys of Indiana where scalping is legal.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#44 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 07:01 PM

The whole "We'll take Dixie Chick tickets!" sounds like a ploy to me.

What bands are taking them? How much do you want to bet we've never heard of them before? ;)
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#45 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 07:37 PM

Well the name I heard was The Marshall Tucker Band. Once again this is just a rumor I have seen nothing to give it more than that.

TANSTAAFL

#46 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 08:07 PM

Marshall Tucker was once very big. I don't know if they still record.

This will be interesting. Ignoring the commercials aspects for a moment, it will be interesting to see how many take them up on the offer. Those that do will probably get a good show. They were a pretty good band, Southern Rock, with perhaps a little Country leaning.

If people do go to see them, it could revive their popularity. I don't really think it will hurt the Chicks in the long run, but it could be a great publicity move for  Marshall Tucker.

(I'm really getting to love the Opera web browser. The window tabs are nice.)

After a quck look around, Marshall Tucker may be a little to into this for my tastes, but I think their hearts are in the right place. They are doing a benefit concert for solders families. They may be doing a little capitalizing, but I think they are true believers at the same time.

http://www.marshallt...tuck/index.html
Can't Touch This!!

#47 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 10:35 PM

Delvo, on Apr 26 2003, 11:48 AM, said:

As for the cover, yes, it's just sensationalism, but I have been disgusted by a few of their opponents' reactions to it, joking about how supposedly ugly it is. I seriously don't believe anyone really does think these women look so awful; of course not everyone would be attracted, but repelled is another matter entirely, and this kind of mockery and derision makes it sound as if they have Elephant Man Syndrome and is obviously just an infantile way of lashing out at people that some apparently just love to hate now (which largely is from annoyance at the general trend in preachy liberal celebrity loudmouths, not to this case which isn't as bad as several others) and therefor wanted a way to hurt.
Some of the reaction reminds me of nothing so much as an Aint It Cool News talkback-- a bunch of ugly, socially awkward boys on the Internet making comments on the relative ugliness of women who are far more beautiful than anyone they'd actually have a chance to get lucky with.   It's kind of funny, actually.  

As to your earlier point, I certainly don't doubt that there were real live Dixie Chicks fans who were hurt and disappointed by their comments.  However, I think it's also disingenuous to not point out that much of the reaction was very clearly orchestrated by Clear Channel radio stations, and that some of the rhetoric used was so vituperative and out of proportion to the actual comments made by Ms. Maines that they invited the kinds of physical threats and intimidation that resulted.

Just as the left needs to distance itself from whack-jobs like the idiot Columbia professor who called for "a million Mogadishus," the right needs to police the seedier precincts of its own neighbhorhood.  IMHO, of course.

Zack
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dixie Chicks, War Protesters, Iraq

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users