#1 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

I'm bringing the sexy back!!

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:01 PM

The article speaks for itself...

http://seattletimes...._katmyth26.html

After five days managing near riots, medical horrors and unspeakable living conditions inside the Superdome, Louisiana National Guard Col. Thomas Beron prepared to hand over the dead to representatives of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Following days of internationally reported murders, rapes and gang violence inside the stadium, the doctor from FEMA — Beron doesn't remember his name — came prepared for a grisly scene: He brought a refrigerated 18-wheeler and three doctors to process bodies.

"I've got a report of 200 bodies in the Dome," Beron recalled the doctor saying.

The real total?

Six, Beron said.

Of those, four died of natural causes, one overdosed and another jumped to his death in an apparent suicide, said Beron, who personally oversaw the handoff of bodies from a Dome freezer, where they lay atop melting bags of ice.

State health department officials in charge of body recovery put the official death count at the Dome at 10, but Beron said the other four bodies were found in the street near the Dome, not inside it. Both sources said no one had been murdered inside the stadium.

and

"I think 99 percent of it is [expletive]," said Sgt. 1st Class Jason Lachney, who played a key role in security and humanitarian work inside the Dome. "Don't get me wrong — bad things happened. But I didn't see any killing and raping and cutting of throats or anything ... 99 percent of the people in the Dome were very well-behaved."

Dr. Louis Cataldie, the state Health and Human Services Department administrator overseeing the body-recovery operation, said his teams were inundated with false reports.

Orleans Parish District Attorney Eddie Jordan said authorities have only confirmed four murders in the entire city in the aftermath of Katrina — making it a typical week in a city that anticipated more than 200 homicides this year.

"I had the impression that at least 40 or 50 murders had occurred at the two sites," he said. "It's unfortunate we saw these kinds of stories saying crime had taken place on a massive scale when that wasn't the case. And they [national media outlets] have done nothing to follow up on any of these cases; they just accepted what people [on the street] told them. ... It's not consistent with the highest standards of journalism."

Highest standards of journalism....
HA....

gc  :devil:
“I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance that does harm.”
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#2 Grandtheftcow

Grandtheftcow

Imploder

• Dead account
  • 532 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:09 PM

And I should be surprised why?

I don’t even watch American news anymore. The BBC is where it’s at.

Posted Image

#3 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:10 PM

In for a penny:

Inside the Superdome, where National Guardsmen performed rigorous security checks before allowing anyone inside, only one shooting has been verified — and even that shooting, injuring Louisiana Guardsman Chris Watt of the 527th Engineer Battalion, has been widely misreported, said Maj. David Baldwin, who led the team of soldiers who arrested the alleged assailant.

Watt had indeed been attacked inside one of the Dome's locker rooms, where he entered with another soldier. In the darkness, as they walked through about six inches of water, Watt's attacker hit him with a metal rod, a piece of a cot. But the bullet that penetrated Watt's leg came from his own gun — he accidentally shot himself during the commotion. The attacker was sent to jail, Baldwin said
Poor guy might hope the facts remain widely misreported.  :(  Nonetheless....

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#4 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:15 PM

Yeah the BBC didn't say there were any murders but they did say the Americans were turning on the Brits (well, ok a brit filming in the superdome said it) and they felt the need to protect the girls from attacks and stick together because there was a real anti-Britain feeling there. That could still be true based on this article, I guess only the people in the Superdome know.

Still- anti- brit feeling? I still don't understand WHY that should be, I suppose when you've seen your home destroyed and people you love killed, anger is a natural response and you feel you need someone to unleash your anger on...perhaps?

The BBC are not angelic ^ I take all the news reports in Britain with a very large pinch of salt and acknowledge I am only getting one side of the story.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#5 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:38 PM

SparkyCola, on Sep 26 2005, 01:15 PM, said:

Yeah the BBC didn't say there were any murders but they did say the Americans were turning on the Brits (well, ok a brit filming in the superdome said it) and they felt the need to protect the girls from attacks and stick together because there was a real anti-Britain feeling there. That could still be true based on this article, I guess only the people in the Superdome know.

Still- anti- brit feeling? I still don't understand WHY that should be, I suppose when you've seen your home destroyed and people you love killed, anger is a natural response and you feel you need someone to unleash your anger on...perhaps?

The BBC are not angelic ^ I take all the news reports in Britain with a very large pinch of salt and acknowledge I am only getting one side of the story.

Sparky

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the first time anyone has said anything about an Anti-Brit sentiment, so I begin to suspect that the British Media is twisting things as well. I've heard from sources outside the media that the media wasn't getting the whole story either. I mean, come on, if Geraldo Rivera can get inside one of the worse locations and emerge unscathed...

This smacks of sensationalism, just like the reports that the Levees were blown up in a terrorist attack.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that don’t even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#6 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:40 PM

anti-Brit feeling????  In New Orleans.....  This is not 1812......  is it????

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#7 Grandtheftcow

Grandtheftcow

Imploder

• Dead account
  • 532 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:44 PM

Natolii, on Sep 26 2005, 12:38 PM, said:

SparkyCola, on Sep 26 2005, 01:15 PM, said:

Sparky

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the first time anyone has said anything about an Anti-Brit sentiment, so I begin to suspect that the British Media is twisting things as well. I've heard from sources outside the media that the media wasn't getting the whole story either. I mean, come on, if Geraldo Rivera can get inside one of the worse locations and emerge unscathed...

This smacks of sensationalism, just like the reports that the Levees were blown up in a terrorist attack.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No the stories about anti-foreign sentiment were not just limited to the British media. Similar stories were also featured on Canadian news channels and also on CNN.

Posted Image

#8 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:46 PM

I dunno...I think the Brits would be the last group anyone in NOLA would have had hard feelings for at that moment.  Makes no sense.
The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made? — A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#9 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:48 PM

Corwin, on Sep 26 2005, 09:40 AM, said:

anti-Brit feeling????  In New Orleans.....  This is not 1812......  is it????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In uh 1814 we took a little trip
Along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip'

Sorry.  Fifties flashback.  :p  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#10 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

I'm bringing the sexy back!!

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:51 PM

Yes...I'm sure those poor people who had just lost their homes and families were all sitting aroung the Superdome complaining about the Constitutional Monarchy and the state of fish and chips ... :p

gc  :devil:
“I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance that does harm.”
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#11 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:20 PM

Nonny, on Sep 26 2005, 12:48 PM, said:

Corwin, on Sep 26 2005, 09:40 AM, said:

anti-Brit feeling????  In New Orleans.....  This is not 1812......  is it????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In uh 1814 we took a little trip
Along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip'

Sorry.  Fifties flashback.  :p  

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No apologies needed... I happen to be a big Johnny Horton fan.... :D

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#12 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:43 PM

Corwin, on Sep 26 2005, 10:20 AM, said:

No apologies needed... I happen to be a big Johnny Horton fan.... :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:cool:  Me too.  :)  

Nonny
Posted Image

#13 Fragsta

Fragsta

The grandmaster of doom!

• Islander
  • 554 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:44 PM

When and where did people say that the Americans are turning on the Brits? And why would they anyway?
Posted ImagePosted Image
Noticed my avatar and sig changing? Yours can too with the random sig imager!

#14 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:07 PM

Just standard America-bashing in the British tabl... uh, I mean press... as usual.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Superdome, Anarchy

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users