Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Should the UN be Disbanded?

UN

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the UN be Disbanded? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the UN be Disbanded?

1. The UN should be disbanded and replaced with something else (8 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. The UN should not be disbanded but there must be changes (32 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

3. The UN is fine just the way it is (4 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

4. I don't care or undecided (4 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 StarDust

StarDust
  • Islander
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 02:58 PM

Go Sid!!!

I think this is the UN's last chance to show their relevence. They need to stop whimping out. However, that doesn't mean that they should be some kind of world government or have troops. That's just nuts.

Most of the member could hardly be considered democracies, and we would loose many of our rights if we were expected to live under any rules they came up with, and that just isn't going to happen.

The UN was supposed to be a place of debate and diplomacy, with they hope that a lot of venting would reduce the need to bomb someone, and may actually help countries come to a consenses concerning their issues. It was pushed by the US, the US donated the land, the US was one of the few places everyone that would attend felt safe, and the US puts up with all the problems having some of those diplomats here creates (including our enemies).  The US started to withhold some of our dues a few years back after a couple of years of hostilites and people wondering why we were even bothering anymore. Don't forget the very vocal groups the last 2-3 decades that thought we should just send the UN packing. I very much think this is a 'last chance' scenario where the UN is concerned, and I think it's intentional. And I don't think they realize it.  I think Americans are tired of being the 'go to' people, but getting nothing but grief from everyone we help, especially when they don't need our help anymore. They all think we owe them something, and they like to blame us because they can't get their own friggin acts together.

As far as Iraq and oil, that we are attacking to get their oil is preposterous. It's left over, ultr-left rhetoric from the Gulf War days. What in history even makes anyone think we would steal a nation's resources? Would it be the wonderful way we rebuilt Germany and Japan? It's something we have no history of doing and never would do. On the other hand, I've heard that both Germany and France get significant oil resources from Iraq. If that's true, maybe they are the ones who's actions are based on their desire for oil. Or maybe Germany, and their lackies for the last century, France, are up to other questionable things trying to gain power. To say they are hippocrits would be an understatement.

And why not Iraq? As far as other countries that are also problems, it's not like we would attack everyone at once, and it's not like we go after Iraq and we're done either. That's been stated over and over for over a year. We are basically fed up with everyone thinking we're a convienent target and we're not going to sit around and wait for disaster anymore. I think it's pretty clear cut. We put up with Al Queda's crap for a decade and look what happened. No more. And I also remember a year ago, when we were going to Afgahnistan, the journalists and their 'experts' trying to figure out what our next move would be. Almost all of them thought Iraq would be next, it made sense for many reasons. This was long before any comments by Bush concerning Iraq. But it certainly does seem people have short memories. It does seem that everyone thinks something makes sense, until we are actually going to do it, and then they start chickening out, forgetting facts, and looking for some conspiracy to blame it all on instead. An awfull lot of people sound just like they did in the late 1930's. It's much easier to be friends with a dictator, until he decides he doesn't need you, of course.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: UN

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users