• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:05 PM

Don't worry--he's only a consultant this time.

CBS News correspondent Gloria Borger reports that Michael Brown, who recently resigned as the head of the FEMA, has been rehired by the agency as a consultant to evaluate it's response following Hurricane Katrina.

If they'd rehired him as a janitor, it would've made more sense...
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:14 PM

:D
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:21 PM

Can the Medal of Freedom be far behind?
Posted Image

#4 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:22 PM

tennyson, wherever you may be: are you reconsidering your earlier opinion of my "sarcasm"?

Edited by Anarch, 26 September 2005 - 07:39 PM.

#5 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:29 PM

Interesting.  I'm guessing he could give good advice on what not to do in the event of a catastrophe.  (notice WP, I spelled it correctly!  Give me some kudos or something else good.)

#6 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:33 PM

Just as long as you haven't got some puddy tat's head up on the wall.  :thumbs-up:

He probably would give some good advice, but a subpoena would be a lot cheaper.
Posted Image

#7 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:33 PM

As a consultant???

Isn't that a bit like hiring Ted Kennedy to give classes on how to escape a sinking car?
The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made? A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#8 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:39 PM

http://watleyreview....5/091305-2.html

:eek2:  :eek:  :eek2:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#9 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:40 PM

Given your reaction, DWF, you might want to read this.

#10 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:41 PM

Anarch, on Sep 26 2005, 08:40 PM, said:

Given your reaction, DWF, you might want to read this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was joking, I've been there many times before. :lol:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#11 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:53 PM

There's no thrice damned medal of freedom is there? and yes it is still sarcasm.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#12 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:07 PM

I'm sure he'll do a heck of a job!
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#13 WiLL

WiLL

Cylon UnderCover

• Islander
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:11 PM

this is pathetic , are they out of their mind at the FEMA ?  :Oo:
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

#14 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:24 PM

@ DWF:  Whew!  I was worried about being the one to break it to you ;)

@ Zack:  See, this is why they pay you the big bucks.  As simple, obvious and hilarious as a sledgehammer to someone else's gut.  I genuflect in your general direction!

#15 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:30 PM

waterpanther, on Sep 27 2005, 12:33 AM, said:

Just as long as you haven't got some puddy tat's head up on the wall.  :thumbs-up:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, with my puddy tat's it would more likely be my head up on the wall.  They're trained attack cats.

#16 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:24 PM

WiLL, on Sep 26 2005, 08:11 PM, said:

this is pathetic , are they out of their mind at the FEMA ?  :Oo:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is FEMA we're talking about, remember. These are the people who waited for days and days and days before doing anything, and acted surprised that news crews and some of the coast guard were able to get people there ahead of them.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#17 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:13 PM

Maybe they're training him for doing it right next time...
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#18 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:41 PM

:eek2:  :eek2:  :eek2:  

I don't think I can take the news getting much weirder than this.  :unsure:  :(  :angry:  

Nonny

Edited by Nonny, 26 September 2005 - 11:41 PM.

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#19 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:48 PM

tennyson, on Sep 27 2005, 12:53 AM, said:

There's no thrice damned medal of freedom is there?

Not yet, no.  If there had been, I'd've made you cough up whatever it was you were putting on the line ;)

and yes it is still sarcasm.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, it isn't.  Sorry.  The point was then, and remains, that the Bush Administration's near-universal MO is to reward failure by.... rewarding it (provided the failing individual is sufficiently high up and remains politically loyal, natch).  I could probably list exceptions to this rule on one hand: Bremer, Karpinski... anyone else?

#20 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:11 AM

Unless the event that you mentioned in your original post comes to pass it is still sarcasm any way you want to slice it. It was sarcasm then and it is sarcasm now and it wil be sarcasm three years from now. If you had a larger point then make it don't make a snide comment and just expect everyone to either take it or tell you how much wit you have.  As for what I offered it was a "favor' since at the time you could count my total liquid assets by the contents of my wallet and I was barely able to buy food most weeks so it couldn't be money. Said favor would of course be limited by my ability to provide it including skill set and the laws of my nation, state and municipality and if said event comes to pass I will give you what you want. I keep my promises or haven't you been paying attention? Make fun of me as much as you want but I was dead serious.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, FEMA, Michael Brown

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users