129 replies to this topic

#121 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:07 PM

G1223, on Oct 8 2005, 11:54 AM, said:

Spectacles, on Oct 8 2005, 11:09 AM, said:

So, those racist Democrats that Rush and you find so repellant actually found the Republican party more attractive during the civil rights era and the decades immediately following.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So you mean that in the 1960's that George Wallace became a Republican?
That the word dixiecrat was just a mistake? That then Senators Kenndy (D Mass) and Johnson(D-Tex) voted against the 1956 Civil Rights bill out of principle?

Nice bit of revision you got there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

George Wallace ran for president as a third party candidate. Today in Alabama, the Democrats are social liberals and the majority of african-americans vote Democrat. They have for years. Wallace, in fact, was re-elected as Democrat the last time only because he carried the black vote. How? He apologized. (Didn't work for this white chick, though. I said when he was elected again that I was outta there. Within a year  I left Alabama.)

Don't revise my post.  I never said the word "Dixiecrat" was a mistake--just that the Dixiecrats became Republicans. And that's a fact. They couldn't stand being associated with the "bleeding heart liberals" in the Democratic party who were for affirmative action, women's rights, civil rights for african-americans, and even in some cases gay rights.

And I said the exodus of social conservatives (Dixiecrats were a Southern variety of social conservatives) from the Democratic party began in the 60's and continued through the 70's and 80's. That's a fact.

Edited by Spectacles, 08 October 2005 - 12:07 PM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#122 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:13 PM

The Dixiecrat Party largely dissolved after the 1948 election. Senators Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms eventually switched parties and joined the Republicans. Several others remained in the Democratic Party and went on to become prominent Democratic Senators. These former Dixiecrats, turned Senators, went on to serve multiple terms in the service of their respective states. These long careers in the Senate elevated their seniority putting them in positions of power and prestige. Today, one original member of the Dixiecrat Party remains in public service as a Senator, Robert C. Byrd of West Virginia.

None of these Representatives and Senators who bucked the Democratic party ever suffered punishment from their caucuses by expulsion or demotion of seniority or removal from prized committee chairmanships.

Regardless of the power struggle within the Democratic Party, concerning segregation policy, the south remained a strongly Democratic voting block for local, state, and federal Congressional elections. This was not true of Presidential elections.

In the 1960s, the courting of white Southern Democratic voters was the basis of the "southern strategy" of the Republican Party's Presidential Campaigns. Republican Presidential Candidate Barry Goldwater carried the Deep South in 1964, despite losing in a landslide in the rest of the nation to President Lyndon B Johnson of Texas. Johnson surmised that his advocacy behind passing the 1964 Civil Rights Act would lose the South for the Democratic party. The only Democratic presidential candidate after 1956 to solidly carry the Deep South was President Jimmy Carter in the 1976 election.

Into the twenty-first century, the South has changed from a Democratic monolith to a majority Republican sector of the country with GOP gains in state legislatures

From wikipedia.com  "Dixiecrat"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixiecrat

Edited by Spectacles, 08 October 2005 - 12:14 PM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#123 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:13 PM

And here we have...

Bluntly you want to rant and piss and refuse to look at the situation from ANY REPEAT ANY point of veiw other than the one you have decided it is.

Of course I wanted to rant and piss. Of course I wanted to refuse to look at the situation from ANY, and I repeat ANY, point of view, other than that of MY point of view. And I decided it was racist. I KNOW it was. Whether you refuse to look at it as such is not my concern, because you see, I happened to be here when you made your comments about why the clean up of Katrina took so long, y'know, about how we're lazy. Oh, yeah. I'm just one of those southerners, y'see. So, what you think of me, and my opinions, assertions, rants, and pisses, quite bluntly, I could care less.

You are playing into the hands of the party that defended racism for 100 years That worked with the KKK to keep power in the south.

And you are wrong. I'm only pointing out a racist statement. Party affiliation has nothing to do with it.

Funny how you brought it up, though.

sp
Love is hard...and all there is.

#124 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 02:52 PM

"I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down. "

Further...

That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky.

I don't understand why any of you are surprised that sp is livid at this remark. Never mind statement #2. The very fact that statement #1 came out of the man's mouth means he's thinking about it.

If I were African-American I'd be foaming-at-the-mouth mad too. The second remark just glosses over the first one, it doesn't mitigate it.

People like this make me ashamed for this country. You'd think we could do better  by now.  :pout:  :pout:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#125 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 03:00 PM

What Rhea said!  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#126 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 893 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 04:28 PM

I don't understand why any of you are surprised that sp is livid at this remark. Never mind statement #2. The very fact that statement #1 came out of the man's mouth means he's thinking about it.

Thank you, Rhea. Thank you. :) :) :)

If I were African-American I'd be foaming-at-the-mouth mad too. The second remark just glosses over the first one, it doesn't mitigate it.

Exactly.

People like this make me ashamed for this country. You'd think we could do better  by now.  :pout:  :pout:

People like you give us hope. :)

{{{{{{{Rhea}}}}}}}

And just so we don't forget...

"I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down. "

And...

That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky.

I know I won't.

sp
Love is hard...and all there is.

#127 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:51 AM

Bluntly you want to rant and piss and refuse to look at the situation from ANY REPEAT ANY point of veiw other than the one you have decided it is.

******* Coming from you, G, this is absolutely hilarious.  

You are playing into the hands of the party that defended racism for 100 years That worked with the KKK to keep power in the south.

***** As a Southerner, allow me to inform you that you have absolutely no clue as to what you're talking about here... which seems to be a trend with you when you talk about the South.  The reason the South is so Republican now stems from the fact that Republicans were against civil rights back in the '60's.  Before that, the South had been almost completely hardcore "yellow dog" Democrat.  When the Democrats supported civil rights, those yellow-dog Dems switched parties, and the South has been Republican ever since.

Would you like to see something really interesting?

Now, I don't think that the South is still as racist as it was back in the '60's - I know we've wised up a great deal down here as far as racism goes.   And I don't think the Republican party is as racist as it used to be, either.  The South is very brand-loyal and hung up on traditions, so people tend to vote for what their daddies voted for without really thinking about it much, and that, more than any racism, is why the South has remained Republican.   But if you go back to the roots of why they switched... I seriously don't think you wanna be bragging on that.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#128 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,316 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:56 PM

:eek4:  For the record... I'm not the QT that sent that to that blogger... :lol:

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#129 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:06 AM

If you aborted EVERY baby, you could get rid of crime totally within 100 years
Goodbye.

#130 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:40 AM

Wow.. the Pro-Life crowd would certainly scream about that..... :devil:

but.. no people, no crime.... Then Cats would take over and Dogs would become their slaves instead of people.

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crime, Racism, Bill Bennett, Abort Black Babies

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users