• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 03:14 PM

Here's the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9591148/

I have to ask: Is this man this THAT stupid, or is he deliberately trying to destroy his city? Trying to finish what Katrina and Rita did?

How the F*ck are you going to rebuild a city when you lay off 3000 people? WTF! And where is the federal government? Aren't they suppose to give aide and money? Granted most of the contracts they've given out to rebuild the city went to their friends, and companies OUTSIDE OF THE AFFECTED STATES!

These politicans are really pissing me off.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 03:26 PM

The whole state of Louisiana is about broke from Katrina and Rita. Remember, Rita took out what Katrina missed. The whole state, maybe with the exception of its northern border, is a disaster area in a very real sense.

Here's more about the fiscal crisis in LA:

http://www.cnn.com/2...ders/index.html
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 03:30 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Oct 5 2005, 04:14 PM, said:

Here's the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9591148/

I have to ask: Is this man this THAT stupid, or is he deliberately trying to destroy his city? Trying to finish what Katrina and Rita did?

How the F*ck are you going to rebuild a city when you lay off 3000 people? WTF! And where is the federal government? Aren't they suppose to give aide and money? Granted most of the contracts they've given out to rebuild the city went to their friends, and companies OUTSIDE OF THE AFFECTED STATES!

These politicans are really pissing me off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LotS, How do you rebuild a city with no money? The city has nothing and the banks refuse to even float them money. Direct your Ire to the Feds and these money hungry bankers. The city is bankrupt and laying off non-essential employees is one way to save money so you can pay your first responders who will not be touched. Freaking FEMA is only Paying OT and Bush is doing nothing to change that ruling.

The man is not stupid, but he is desperate... That tell you how critical things really are?

Edited by Natolii, 05 October 2005 - 03:32 PM.

"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#4 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 03:45 PM

Ok, I'm confused....we got all these millions (possibly billions) pouring in for relief and rebuilding, but the city (nae, the STATE) is broke?

The most important shipping port for the entirety of the Midwest, and they're laying off workers because there's no money?

Ok, from now on, I'm voting solely for trained monkeys, regardless of the position...they have to be able to do a better job than our current constituents... :crazy:

#5 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 03:51 PM

RichieTyrant, on Oct 5 2005, 03:45 PM, said:

Ok, I'm confused....we got all these millions (possibly billions) pouring in for relief and rebuilding, but the city (nae, the STATE) is broke?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly my point. I guess FEMA is just keeping the money that poured in in their pockets, same as the Red Cross must be doing.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#6 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 03:55 PM

Natolii, on Oct 5 2005, 03:30 PM, said:

LotS, How do you rebuild a city with no money? The city has nothing and the banks refuse to even float them money. Direct your Ire to the Feds and these money hungry bankers. The city is bankrupt and laying off non-essential employees is one way to save money so you can pay your first responders who will not be touched. Freaking FEMA is only Paying OT and Bush is doing nothing to change that ruling.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's why there is a Federal Government. That's where he should look for the money, and if they still refuse you go on national TV and tell the entire world that the US Administration is REFUSING to give money to help in the recovery...You don't lay off workers.

By laying off those workers he has effectively killed the city. Because those workers, if they're smart, will sit back, collect the unemployment money, and then move out of state. I know I would.

Hell, even if I was one of those workers not fired, I'd probably start looking to move out and get a job elsewhere, because it would be obvious that the city officials don't have your back, why should you have theirs?

#7 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 04:04 PM

Specs is right.  The tax base for most of the state has been wiped off the map.  Where are they supposed to get money from???  Businesses have to rebuild and reopen before ANY tax revenue are generated for the state, much less the city of NO...  
Yes, the Feds should step up at this point and cut through a lot of the BS paperwork... The tax break incentives for businesses relocating to or employing local labor is a good start.  And how about a short term Federally funded and oversighted Public Works Program to allow people who are out of work to return and work on rebuilding and repairing the state.  If we are going to have to pay the money anyway, lets go ahead and make sure it gets to the people who need it and not the polititians who have already squandered billions.

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#8 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 04:04 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Oct 5 2005, 04:55 PM, said:

Natolii, on Oct 5 2005, 03:30 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's why there is a Federal Government. That's where he should look for the money, and if they still refuse you go on national TV and tell the entire world that the US Administration is REFUSING to give money to help in the recovery...You don't lay off workers.

By laying off those workers he has effectively killed the city. Because those workers, if they're smart, will sit back, collect the unemployment money, and then move out of state. I know I would.

Hell, even if I was one of those workers not fired, I'd probably start looking to move out and get a job elsewhere, because it would be obvious that the city officials don't have your back, why should you have theirs?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Think about it, LotS, by letting it out that these parishes have no money to pay their people, the Federal Government, FEMA and the Red Cross look like fools for failing the First Responders.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#9 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 04:12 PM

WHOA!  
Hey folks... no matter what, for the immediate future, NO probably is down at least 1/3 from the original population.  Why have so many people employed for positions that are likely not necessary yet?  I would hope that there are provisions so that when the city re-grows, and new positions open up, people who originally had a job with the city will be offered their old jobs, but the simple fact is why keep the employee base for a city that no longer exists?

***Is easily distracted***

#10 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 04:19 PM

Natolii, on Oct 5 2005, 04:04 PM, said:

Think about it, LotS, by letting it out that these parishes have no money to pay their people, the Federal Government, FEMA and the Red Cross look like fools for failing the First Responders.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some might look at it that way. Others might look at it the way I did, just him firing people from a city already down and out. If he HAD SAID that "Due to the Federal Government not giving them the money to pay these people, he had no choice but to let them off" Then the blame is on Bush and FEMA and the whole lot. Instead, with the way he announced it, the blame is on him.

#11 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 04:25 PM

Rhiannonjk, on Oct 5 2005, 09:12 PM, said:

WHOA! 
Hey folks... no matter what, for the immediate future, NO probably is down at least 1/3 from the original population.  Why have so many people employed for positions that are likely not necessary yet?  I would hope that there are provisions so that when the city re-grows, and new positions open up, people who originally had a job with the city will be offered their old jobs, but the simple fact is why keep the employee base for a city that no longer exists?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have to agree with this.  It's sad that these people have to lose their jobs but you can't pay folks with money that isn't there...(but when has that ever stopped deficit spending anyway?) ...and with less citizens in the city they don't need as many workers.  

As to getting money out of FEMA...the city of Houston is still waiting for promised reimbursement for damages incurred during Tropical Storm Allison...several years ago.  FEMA is still supposedly auditing the bills presented...and we're talking millions of dollars here. So red tape also holds up the distribution of funds

Thus the reason some folks were skeptical when FEMA promised the state, city and county reimbursement for the costs of housing, education etc  for the Katrina evacuees.  

In three or four years let's see how much of that money has been paid out.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#12 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:17 AM

There's also the issue that the law covers payment for overtime not normal wages. Plus remember fiscal years start in October in most places so that's why they are out of money so quickly too.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#13 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:53 AM

RichieTyrant, on Oct 5 2005, 01:45 PM, said:

The most important shipping port for the entirety of the Midwest, and they're laying off workers because there's no money?

Ok, from now on, I'm voting solely for trained monkeys, regardless of the position...they have to be able to do a better job than our current constituents... :crazy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Money from the federal government is probably tagged to go for certain purposes; some to individuals, or state or local governments.  It might depend on the agency providing the money what restrictions are on it as to who gets it.

also, the local governments and state were depending on taxes, sales or otherwise, that support them regularly.  I"m sure the whole Lousiana state budget is shot for this year and probably for several more.  

I think it's a matter of getting that money channeled into the right places and what organization is distributing the money.

Lousiana public officials, elected officials, have a totally impossible job ahead of them.  And whenever the next elections is, city or state, how are they going to actually get all the citizens to vote in it??? I guess they can't!
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#14 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 11:04 AM

It was my understanding that Nagin HAD asked the State and the Fed for funds. I mean you have no taxbase to draw from right now in a huge chunk of the state. You can't pay workers in NOLA with nonexistent money generated by nonexistent residents, businesses etc....
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, New Orleans, Ray Nagin

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users