• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 03:47 PM

Haven't heard

You know how fast these things fall off the Radar.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#22 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:22 PM

OWW!!

That hurts just thinking about.  If I had an insulin pump and someone ripped it out of my leg like that my instictual reaction (other than screaming) might well have been to hit the guy, and I seriously doubt anyone would deny the self-defence argument there.

Attempted manslaughter, however, seems over the top.  You don't die from getting an insulin pump removed, you just need to go to other measures of controling your bloodsugar for a while.

Assault charges on a minor, however, certainly.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#23 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:51 PM

Natolii Yesterday, 06:19 PM
Not enough buttons.

Seriously...

Posted Image

Not all pumps look like this. I don't think most adults would want that fancy purple and yellow covering over their pump. The few folks I know with pumps happen to be adults and they wear them on their belts.  The pumps are small and yes they do look like cell phones at first glance.  In fact thats what I thought it was when our buddy first got his. What a vast improvement this little device has made in his life,  no more needles.

Remember many phones flip open and most of the buttons are on the inside for safe keeping.

Now for the teacher.  Bad bad bad.  Charges should be brought against him, NOW not later.

RuReddy

#24 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:28 PM

Nonny, on Oct 6 2005, 11:28 AM, said:

Broph, on Oct 6 2005, 03:38 AM, said:

Was he informed that he had a student with a special need?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would he have cared?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It isn't so much whether he'd care or not:  If he was told, and didn't pay attention, then it's entirely his fault.  If he wasn't even told, the administration has to bear some of the responsibility, too.

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#25 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 11:15 AM

Nikcara, on Oct 6 2005, 06:22 PM, said:

Attempted manslaughter, however, seems over the top.  You don't die from getting an insulin pump removed, you just need to go to other measures of controling your bloodsugar for a while.

And if they can't get the bloodsugar back under control in time, and the kid goes DKA? I don't think attempted manslaughter charges are too harsh at all.

Assault charges on a minor, however, certainly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At the very least.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#26 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 11:52 AM

Juvenile Diabetes is a lot more severe than type 2 Adult Onset. And both can be deadly if not treated right. I would however go with Aggravated Assault instead of attempted manslaughter.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#27 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:10 PM

Natolii Posted Today, 11:52 AM
  Juvenile Diabetes is a lot more severe than type 2 Adult Onset.

Yes, I know.  Our friend with the pump, was diagnosed at the age of 8. And my dad was diagnosed at 67. And my sister's father-in-law died at 58.

RuReddy

#28 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:31 PM

RuReddy1, on Oct 7 2005, 01:10 PM, said:

Natolii Posted Today, 11:52 AM
  Juvenile Diabetes is a lot more severe than type 2 Adult Onset.

Yes, I know.  Our friend with the pump, was diagnosed at the age of 8. And my dad was diagnosed at 67. And my sister's father-in-law died at 58.

RuReddy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am sorry to hear that.

My mother and grandfather have Adult Onset Type 2. He's on the injection, and they caught her's early enough to give her the pills.

#29 Celtic Brat

Celtic Brat
  • Islander
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:23 PM

How come the teacher reacted by right away grabbing the "cellphone"?  With any student with a potentially disruptive object, the first thing I always did was give them the patented Teacher Glare O' Death and tell them, "Put it away."  If the sub had done that first, it would have given the student enough time to explain about the insulin pump.
A state of Lostness is a powerful thing.

#30 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:09 PM

Celtic Brat, on Oct 7 2005, 03:23 PM, said:

How come the teacher reacted by right away grabbing the "cellphone"?  With any student with a potentially disruptive object, the first thing I always did was give them the patented Teacher Glare O' Death and tell them, "Put it away."  If the sub had done that first, it would have given the student enough time to explain about the insulin pump.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly my point. This teacher obviously WANTED to assault this child, so he most certainly should pay the consequences.

I still stand by the belief that attempted manslaughter is not too harsh.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#31 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:26 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Oct 7 2005, 06:09 PM, said:

I still stand by the belief that attempted manslaughter is not too harsh.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it's "attempted", it can't be "manslaughter"

Manslaughter is (quoting dictionary.com): The unlawful killing of one human by another without express or implied intent to do injury.

This sort of incident would fall under "assault".

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#32 Aurelius

Aurelius

Master of the Empire

• Islander
  • 803 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:47 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Oct 6 2005, 08:40 PM, said:

Natolii, on Oct 5 2005, 06:45 PM, said:

As poetic as it seems, I'll settle for the Sub never to be allowed to teach anywhere.

Not me. I'd want criminal charges pressed. Begining with attempted manslaughter. At the very least assault and endangering life of minor. And that's not even counting the multimillion dollar lawsuit.

Can we say lawsuit though? I think some criminal assault charges might be in order.

:devil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Criminal charges are more then in order. I'm actually surprised this a$$ isn't already charged.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ohh, come on. Please!! Talk about an over reaction!!   :eh:  :eh:  :wacko:
Was the teacher wrong, yes, absolutely, sure as hell. He should have asked for the "phone", in fact demanded for the "phone", but he should have made damn sure that it was a phone and he should, by no means, have ripped it away from the student.

But criminal charges, be serious. This sub will have a black mark on his record forever. He will probably have a damn difficult job getting teaching work again. I think that's punishment enough, especially combined with a probable lawsuit.

While I in no way agree with the teacher's approach, I can understand, from my own experience,  how the misidentification could have been made. A lot of phones these days are small and very technical looking.

Aurelius
"If I had all the answers, I'd run for God"
Cpl. Max Klinger, M*A*S*H

#33 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 06:20 PM

Aurelius,

Give the medical condition of this person, I believe criminal charges are in order.

#34 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 06:32 PM

I would agree only if the teacher was given a note of some sort concerning the student's condition. Otherwise the lawsuit will be sufficent.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#35 Aurelius

Aurelius

Master of the Empire

• Islander
  • 803 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:48 AM

Natolii, I disagree. This was, from the info given, a mistake.  It wasn't a deliberate act to harm the child

However, I will go along with G1223's position. If the sub teacher actually knew about the childs condition, then there is no excuse. But I still feel that he will suffer enough without charges.

Aurelius

#36 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:06 AM

Aurelius, on Oct 8 2005, 04:48 AM, said:

Natolii, I disagree. This was, from the info given, a mistake.  It wasn't a deliberate act to harm the child

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Disagreement back at you.  The fact that it was not a deliberate act to harm the child is meaningless in the context of the act itself.  It was done to punish and humiliate the child.  The fact that it harmed the child is due to the unfortunate attitude of some people that their right to pound others into round holes is more important than the right of others to live the best lives they can in spite of being square pegs.  :angry:  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#37 Eskaminzim

Eskaminzim

Head eggs and butt toast

• Islander
  • 559 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:18 AM

Not being a lawyer, and so likely being wrong on the subject, I think at the very least it's a case of reckless endangerment.

The act of forcefully removing an object from another person's possession without positively identifying that object beforehand is a reckless act.  

That that reckless act caused the serious bodily harm to the person in original possession of the unidentified object, in this case an insulin pump, is endangerment.

Put it all together, and it's reckless endangerment.

To me, it's not enough that he THOUGHT it was a cell phone.  He should have gone through one or two relatively simple steps to prove it was a cell phone before attempting to relieve it from the person possessing it.

#38 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:29 AM

Eskaminzim, on Oct 8 2005, 07:18 AM, said:

To me, it's not enough that he THOUGHT it was a cell phone.  He should have gone through one or two relatively simple steps to prove it was a cell phone before attempting to relieve it from the person possessing it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes!  And the fact that he was unable to spare the one or two moments to take those simple steps makes him a bad example to children anyway.  This guy should not be a teacher.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#39 Aurelius

Aurelius

Master of the Empire

• Islander
  • 803 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:32 AM

Nonny, on Oct 8 2005, 03:06 PM, said:

Aurelius, on Oct 8 2005, 04:48 AM, said:

Natolii, I disagree. This was, from the info given, a mistake.† It wasn't a deliberate act to harm the child

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Disagreement back at you.  The fact that it was not a deliberate act to harm the child is meaningless in the context of the act itself.  It was done to punish and humiliate the child.  The fact that it harmed the child is due to the unfortunate attitude of some people that their right to pound others into round holes is more important than the right of others to live the best lives they can in spite of being square pegs.  :angry:  

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To punish and humiliate him????? Where is the evidence of that. The teacher went to take what he thought was a mobile phone off the student. That's not punishment or humiliation. Now, how he did it was completely wrong, I'm not disputing that. But I think, going from the evidence in the article, that he was trying to maintain classroom discipline; a feat that is increasingly hard to do.

A mobile phone is an unacceptable disruption in a class. The fact that the teacher was mistaken in both his analysis and handling of the situation is extremely regrettable. But I certainly don't think that this was a case of the teacher trying to force his opinion on others. And I don't see where you're getting that.

As to the further points that there were simple steps to identifying the "phone" and solving the situation, yes absolutely. This was a case of bad management on the part of the teacher and I certainly think that it should make him review his capability. However I reiterate my previous point in that I definitely don't think it's a case for criminal charges.

Aurelius

#40 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:01 PM

According to this news article, the boy had no chance to act either.

http://www.local6.co...865/detail.html

CLERMONT, Fla. -- A substitute teacher in Lake County, Fla., was terminated and banned from teaching in the county after he ripped out a student's insulin pump during class apparently thinking it was a ringing cell phone, according to a Local 6 News report.

Officials said a ninth-grade student at East Ridge High School, who is a Type I diabetic, was in class Monday when his insulin pump began to beep, indicating he was low on insulin.

Witnesses said the class teacher, Richard Maline, 51, asked the student what the beeping was.

School officials said Maline then grabbed the device, thinking it was a cell phone beeping and detached the tube that connects the insulin pump to the student's leg.

The student went to the school's clinic and had the tube reinserted.

Lake County school officials then acted quickly and terminated Maline, Local 6 reporter Louis Bolden said.

"This is a very serious incident," Lake County schools spokesman Russell Anderson said. "Our substitute teachers, we provide them training on the behavior we expect of them in the classrooms. When they do something as serious as this, we don't hesitate to remove them from being a substitute teacher."

Maline told Local 6 News off camera that his is an unfortunate situation.

The Lake County Sheriff's Office is investigating the incident and trying to determine if there was any criminal intent.

According to the video on the page, the teacher apparently wasn't informed. He is barred from teaching in the district and the Sheriff is looking into if charges can and should be filed. Though according to other articles he pulled it twice...

http://www.news-pres...1/51005005/1002

ďIt fell to the floor,Ē Hassam wrote in his statement to school officials.
ďThe second time he pulled it the tube came out of my leg.Ē

Now if this little bit is true, then I would say, yes, charges should be filed.

Edited by Natolii, 08 October 2005 - 12:04 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, Insulin pump, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users