• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 02:10 AM

disgusting!  i say file all the charges possible on this bastard!  he could have killed the student.

and Nonny is right.  for all the lip service on accomodating the disabled, most teachers and schools don't care unless they are made to care.  especially when one has a learning disability that many believe do not even exist and/or is made-up.

Edited by Cheile, 09 October 2005 - 02:11 AM.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#42 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 07:36 AM

Cheile, on Oct 9 2005, 03:10 AM, said:

disgusting!  i say file all the charges possible on this bastard!  he could have killed the student.

and Nonny is right.  for all the lip service on accomodating the disabled, most teachers and schools don't care unless they are made to care.  especially when one has a learning disability that many believe do not even exist and/or is made-up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Too true.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#43 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:36 AM

Rhys, on Oct 7 2005, 05:26 PM, said:

If it's "attempted", it can't be "manslaughter"

Manslaughter is (quoting dictionary.com): The unlawful killing of one human by another without express or implied intent to do injury.

This sort of incident would fall under "assault".

Rhys

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmmm. Guess assault would have to do, since he couldn't be charged with attempted murder: since that charge would mean the teacher was trying to kill the student, which I don't think is the case.

Oh well, assault should still put him behind bars for a couple of years.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#44 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:42 AM

Aurelius, on Oct 8 2005, 11:32 AM, said:

To punish and humiliate him????? Where is the evidence of that. The teacher went to take what he thought was a mobile phone off the student. That's not punishment or humiliation. Aurelius

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The way he went about it proves the teacher wanted to humilate him....the mere fact that the teacher GRABBED AND PULLED the pump out proves that. He was trying to "put the child in it's place, by forcibly proving whose the superior". Otherwise he could've just walked over to the child, held out his hand, and demanded the phone. Which would've given the child an opportunity to say it was an insulin pump.

The fact that the kid didn't have that opportunity means the teacher yanked and pulled so fast, and hard. Only reason for that being is too humilate a child.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#45 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:44 AM

Aurelius, on Oct 7 2005, 05:47 PM, said:

Ohh, come on. Please!! Talk about an over reaction!!   :eh:  :eh:  :wacko:
Aurelius

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Criminal charges, IMO, are not an over reaction. If this kid had been my child, and the teacher did this...then you would've seen an over reaction. Because the story wouldn't have ended with just: "teacher pulls out insulin pump."

#46 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 07:49 PM

Aurelius, on Oct 8 2005, 08:32 AM, said:

Nonny, on Oct 8 2005, 03:06 PM, said:

Aurelius, on Oct 8 2005, 04:48 AM, said:

Natolii, I disagree. This was, from the info given, a mistake.  It wasn't a deliberate act to harm the child

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Disagreement back at you.  The fact that it was not a deliberate act to harm the child is meaningless in the context of the act itself.  It was done to punish and humiliate the child.  The fact that it harmed the child is due to the unfortunate attitude of some people that their right to pound others into round holes is more important than the right of others to live the best lives they can in spite of being square pegs.  :angry:  

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To punish and humiliate him????? Where is the evidence of that. The teacher went to take what he thought was a mobile phone off the student. That's not punishment or humiliation.
He used force.  That's punishment and it's humiliating, as it is meant to be.  

Now, how he did it was completely wrong, I'm not disputing that. But I think, going from the evidence in the article, that he was trying to maintain classroom discipline; a feat that is increasingly hard to do.
Classroom discipline is especially hard for the inflexible, intolerant, hit/grab/bully first and sort it all out later types.  

A mobile phone is an unacceptable disruption in a class.

And yet, there was no mobile phone!

The fact that the teacher was mistaken in both his analysis and handling of the situation is extremely regrettable. But I certainly don't think that this was a case of the teacher trying to force his opinion on others. And I don't see where you're getting that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um, lost you there.  I don't believe I said that this is a case of a teacher trying to force his opinions on others, but a case of a teacher using force to take something away from a student without bothering to let the student explain what it was.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#47 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 08:36 PM

According to the student's statement, The tube was removed on the second grab...

That was is deliberate. Not removing the tube persay, but the action that led to the tube becoming dislodged.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, Insulin pump, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users