• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 03:35 PM

http://www.usatoday....ak_x.htm?csp=24

WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal prosecutors have accepted an offer from presidential adviser Karl Rove to give 11th hour testimony in the case of a CIA officer's leaked identity but have warned they cannot guarantee he won't be indicted, according to people directly familiar with the investigation

The persons, who spoke only on condition of anonymity because of grand jury secrecy, said Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald has not made any decision yet on whether to file criminal charges against the longtime confidant of President Bush or others.

The U.S. attorney's manual requires prosecutors not to bring witnesses before a grand jury if there is a possibility of future criminal charges unless they are notified in advance that their grand jury testimony can be used against them in a later indictment.

Rove has already made at least three grand jury appearances and his return at this late stage in the investigation is unusual.

The prosecutor did not give Rove similar warnings before his earlier grand jury appearances.

Rove offered in July to return to the grand jury for additional testimony and Fitzgerald accepted that offer Friday after taking grand jury testimony from the formerly jailed New York Times reporter Judith Miller.

Before accepting the offer, Fitzgerald sent correspondence to Rove's legal team making clear that there was no guarantee he wouldn't be indicted at a later point as required by the rules.

Rove's attorney, Robert Luskin, said Thursday he would not comment on any ongoing discussion he has had with Fitzgerald's office but that he has been assured no decisions on charges have been made. Rove would first have to receive what is known as a target letter if he is about to be indicted.

"I can say categorically that Karl has not received a target letter from the special counsel. The special counsel has confirmed that he has not made any charging decisions in respect to Karl," Luskin said.

He said that Rove "continues to be cooperative voluntarily" with the special counsel investigation and "beyond that, any communication I have or may have in the future are going to be treated as completely confidential."

For almost two years, Fitzgerald has been investigating whether someone in the Bush administration leaked the identity of Valerie Plame as a CIA officer for political reasons. Dozens of government officials were interviewed and boxloads of documents collected.

Reporters have been called before a grand jury to testify about their conversations with Rove and I. Lewis Libby, Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff.

Leaking the identity of a covert agent can be a crime, but it must be done knowingly and the legal threshold for proving such a crime is high. Fitzgerald could also seek charges against anyone he thinks lied to investigators in the case.

The leak investigation stems from a July 2003 syndicated column by Robert Novak identifying Plame as a CIA operative. Plame is married to former Ambassador Joseph C. Wilson, who says his wife's identity was disclosed to discredit his assertions that the Bush administration exaggerated Iraq's nuclear capabilities to build the case for war.

Miller spent 85 days in jail before agreeing to testify before the grand jury. The newspaper identified Libby as her source.

Rove, Bush's top adviser on political strategy and policy, has known the president for three decades. He worked for Bush as far back as 1978, when he unsuccessfully ran for Congress. Rove orchestrated Bush's campaigns for Texas governor and president, then brought his political skills into the White House.

Trying to avoid having "Scooter" for a cellmate?

Edited by Lin731, 06 October 2005 - 03:39 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:06 PM

Curioser and curioser....
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:12 AM

Indeed.  I'm wondering how much money is spent on all these investigatons and prosecutions on the left and the right.   Has to be a mighty bundle.

#4 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:29 AM

Yeah, it'd be much cheaper if everyone in government agreed to not be corrupt and to play nice like actual adults.

That was, FTR, a snark at both parties, and possibly Independents.  Anyone for whom the shoe fits.
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#5 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:17 AM

Indeed. I'm wondering how much money is spent on all these investigatons and prosecutions on the left and the right. Has to be a mighty bundle.

Tons and loads, you can be sure. I will say though that investigating the leak of a CIA ops name is far worthier of a costly investigation that say ohhh I dunno...a blowjob? So in the case of the Plame investigation, I think it's money well spent.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:22 PM

Well its interesting that Rove wanted to testify once again in the 11th hour but that he also wanted to follow directly behind Matt Cooper. And we could still hear from Judith Miller.  Who else did she get information from? Perhaps Joe Wilson?

Doesn't this have to come to an end by 10-29?

RuReddy

#7 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:57 PM

Well its interesting that Rove wanted to testify once again in the 11th hour but that he also wanted to follow directly behind Matt Cooper. And we could still hear from Judith Miller. Who else did she get information from? Perhaps Joe Wilson?

Doesn't this have to come to an end by 10-29?

I beleive it has to end on 10-29. As for Miller, she's already testified. I'm more curious as to why Novak DIDN'T have to. BTW...why would you speculate Miller might have gotten info from Joe Wilson? Is there something in particular that leads you to wonder in that direction?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:10 PM

It's just another red herring/talking point/attempt to smear Wilson in the same vein as "everyone knew Plame drove to work at Langley every day."  More hum of the spin machine.
Posted Image

#9 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:24 PM

Lin731 Posted Today, 01:57 PM
I beleive it has to end on 10-29. As for Miller, she's already testified. I'm more curious as to why Novak DIDN'T have to. BTW...why would you speculate Miller might have gotten info from Joe Wilson? Is there something in particular that leads you to wonder in that direction?

Miller has a good chance of being called back testifiy again.  I just think that after Matt Cooper and Rove add a few more pieces to the puzzle, she will be called back.  I wonder why Joe Wilson didn't have to testify since he has colored some of the facts that pertain to all of this.

I would speculate that it could be possible that Wilson talked to Miller as he was so full of himself,  out there tooting his own horn.  She would have been a good reporter to contact as it has been reported she has a vey good reputation.  If this happened,  it would have been in the beginning of the mess.  Just my own opinion of course,  means nothing but you asked.

RuReddy

#10 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:56 PM

You think Joe Wilson called Judy Miller to blow his wife's cover?

Well, that's an interesting theory.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#11 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:05 PM

Specs, it sounds like some variation on "it's Wilson's fault!"   :rolleyes:

Edited by Call Me Robin, 07 October 2005 - 09:08 PM.

Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#12 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:11 PM

Spectacles Posted Today, 08:56 PM
  You think Joe Wilson called Judy Miller to blow his wife's cover?

Well, that's an interesting theory.

I think Joe would not hesitate to paint a horse of a different color about someone else.

RuReddy

#13 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:26 PM

I think Joe would not hesitate to paint a horse of a different color about someone else.

So you're implying or wondering if Wilson might have leaked his wifes name in an attempt to set Rove and Libby up?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Gefiltefishmon

Gefiltefishmon

Oolong Caluphids Private Secretary

• Islander
  • 789 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:51 AM

Lin731, on Oct 7 2005, 09:17 AM, said:

Indeed. I'm wondering how much money is spent on all these investigatons and prosecutions on the left and the right. Has to be a mighty bundle.

Tons and loads, you can be sure. I will say though that investigating the leak of a CIA ops name is far worthier of a costly investigation that say ohhh I dunno...a blowjob? So in the case of the Plame investigation, I think it's money well spent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*snerk*        *chortle*         *snort*

*GUFFAW*

ROTFLMAO

{{{{{{{{LIN731}}}}}}}}

On the one hand we have an act of Presidential Fellatio and on the other National Security - which seems like a bigger deal to you?
"To know that you do not know is the best. To act from the pretense that you know when you do not know is a disease" - Lao Tzu

"From All, One; and From One, All" - Heraclitus

"Let me be clear: however the world's goblet turns there will always be those drunk on the wine of the Self" - Ghalib

"A 'politically savvy challenge to evolution' is as self-evidently ridiculous as an agriculturally savvy challenge to euclidean geometry would be." - Charles Pierce

#15 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:36 PM

*snerk* *chortle* *snort*

*GUFFAW*

ROTFLMAO

{{{{{{{{LIN731}}}}}}}}

{{{{{{{{{{{{Gefiltefishmon}}}}}}}}}}} Always happy to hug and chortle!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Top News 2005, Karl Rove, Grand Jury testimony, Valerie Plame

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users