22 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:53 AM

http://news.yahoo.co.../pakistan_quake

Pakistan - A powerful 7.6-magnitude earthquake near the Pakistan-India border Saturday reduced villages to rubble, triggered landslides and flattened an apartment building. More than 1,700 people were killed in both nations, and a Pakistan army spokesman called the devastation "a national tragedy."

In the capitals of Pakistan, India and Afghanistan, buildings shook and walls swayed for about a minute, and panicked people ran from their homes and offices. Tremors continued for hours afterward. Communications throughout the region were cut.

About 1,000 people were killed in Pakistani Kashmir, said Sardar Mohammed Anwar, the top government official in the area.

"This is my conservative guess, and the death toll could be much higher," Anwar told Pakistan's Aaj television station.

He said most homes in Muzaffarabad, the area's capital, were damaged, and schools and hospitals had collapsed.

This is the first I heard of it.  :o

Edited by DWF, 15 October 2005 - 07:03 AM.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:10 AM

It happened at roughly 3:50 GMt, if I remember what I read earlier correctly.

As in what happened in California's North Ridge quake, many apartment buildings have apparently collapsed, and in much of the hardest hit area they have no communications - landlines down and cel's over loaded.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#3 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:23 AM

They also had a 6. aftershock.  :o
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#4 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:41 PM

The death toll is now over 3,000. :down:

http://news.yahoo.co...s_and_volcanoes

Edited by DWF, 08 October 2005 - 06:42 PM.

#5 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:55 PM

We seem to be getting an awful lot of earthquakes and hurricanes recently....  :suspect:
Rejected and gone.

#6 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 09:27 PM

It's the simple fact that we are keeping track of them and there are vastly more people to be in thier way that we notice them more now. As short a time as a hundred years ago you had nothing like the integrated network of seismic and weather stations positioned around the globe that can record siesmic data from the remotest regions and track weather formations from thier beginings. Before that time you could have an earthquake or a hurriacane and no one outside your region would hear about it for months if ever due to how long it took information to traverse the planet at the speed of ship or animal. But today you have coverage of all the planet , 24 hours a day 7 days a week so if anyone is paying attention it will be reported. That combined with the massive increases in population density in just the last hundred years means that there are literally more people in the way when a natural disaster occurs, so a greater chance for loss of life and property.

#7 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,129 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:01 PM

I heard a report on radio, somebody said the quake lasted 6 minutes.  :eek2:  That's a long time for an earthquake.  Usually they last a few seconds, a minute and a half at the most.  This was a very unusual quake, if it lasted that long.  :(  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#8 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:21 AM

Death toll tops 18,000 according to CNN.  This reminds of the 1976 earth quake in China that eventually killed more than 270,000    :down:

Link

Edited by mjtian, 09 October 2005 - 12:24 AM.

"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

#9 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:25 AM

There have been about 25 aftershocks, all over magnitude 4.5, starting very shortly after the initial quake.  Ouch....
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#10 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:50 PM

The death toll is at 30,000 now. :down:

http://timesofindia....how/1257449.cms

#11 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,454 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:59 PM

Nonny said:

somebody said the quake lasted 6 minutes.

I doubt that. A quake as powerful as a 7.6 would've lasted over a minute, I'm sure, but there's an effect I've noticed -- time seems as if it's going on forever when one's stuck in a frightening quake. Just one minute of a 7.6 would probably feel like a lifetime.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#12 Chakotay

Chakotay

For gosh sakes let me out of here!

• Islander
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 02:48 PM

Mikoto, on Oct 9 2005, 12:55 AM, said:

We seem to be getting an awful lot of earthquakes and hurricanes recently....  :suspect:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah.  :(

But I don't think we can blame global warming for the Himalayas having a scratch. ;)

It's terrible, and a lot of people in the UK with Kashmiri relatives are devastated, either because they have got news about the losses, or because they still can't get news.

Terrible.
  No plan survives first contact with the enemy - military axiom.

#13 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 03:29 PM

30,000 dead :( holy crap.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#14 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:22 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...zkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

Pakistan - Desperate Pakistanis huddled against the cold and some looted food stores Monday as international aid still had not reached remote areas of mountainous Kashmir after a monster earthquake flattened villages, cut off power and water, and killed tens of thousands.

Officials predict the death toll, now estimated at between 20,000 and 30,000, will climb and fear that more could die from exposure or disease with winter just six weeks away. The United Nations has said 2.5 million people near the Pakistan-India border need shelter.

More than 48 hours after the magnitude-7.6 quake, survivors were still being rescued from under piles of concrete, steel and wood. A man was pulled from a pancaked two-story house in Muzaffarabad, two girls were plucked from a collapsed school in Balakot, and a woman and child were pulled from an apartment building in Islamabad.

Injured people were airlifted from remote areas, and Pakistan's army distributed rice to starving survivors.

President Gen. Pervez Musharraf, who called Saturday's earthquake the country's worst on record, said his government was doing its best to respond to the crisis. He had appealed for international help, particularly cargo helicopters to reach remote areas cut off by landslides.

"We are doing whatever is humanly possible," Musharraf said. "There should not be any blame game. We are trying to reach all those areas where people need our help."

Eight U.S. helicopters five Chinook transport choppers and three Blackhawks for heavy lifting were diverted from the war in neighboring Afghanistan . They carried supplies, tarpaulins and equipment, including high-tech cameras for finding buried survivors.

"Pakistan is one of our closest allies in the war on terror and we want to help them in this time of crisis," said Sgt. Marina Evans, a U.S. military spokeswoman in Kabul, Afghanistan.

Washington pledged up to $50 million in relief and reconstruction aid, U.S. Ambassador Ryan Crocker said.

"We have under way the beginning of a very major relief effort," he said.

Pakistan also said it would accept aid from longtime rival India, which promised tents, food, medicine and other aid.

The nations have fought two wars over Kashmir, which both claim as theirs. Pakistan suffered the worst of the damage and casualties, and India reported 865 deaths in its portion of the Himalayan province.

However, Pakistan declined an offer of Indian helicopters to help distribute aid and has ruled out a joint rescue operation along the disputed frontier.

Planeloads of aid arrived from Britain, Japan, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates. Rival India, Russia, China and Germany also offered assistance.

With winter approaching, thousands of Pakistanis who lost their homes huddled in tents and in the open. Many lit fires using wood from collapsed houses.

The capital of Pakistan-controlled Kashmir, Muzaffarabad, was devastated, with at least 11,000 people reported dead. Assistant city commissioner Masood-ur Rehman said 90 percent of the city, and all its government and educational institutions, were destroyed. Relief efforts were hampered by roads buried by landslides.

"Bodies are scattered in the city," he said. "Ninety percent of victims are still buried under the debris. We are helpless. The city is out of order."

In one neighborhood, shopkeepers scuffled with looters scavenging crushed stores for cooking oil, rice, biscuits and flour.

The storeowners and looters fought with large sticks and threw stones, and some looters suffered head wounds. No police were in the area.

"We haven't eaten anything for two or three days. The shops are closed and we haven't got anything from the government," said a 20-year-old man who refused to identify himself as he ferreted away stolen goods.

"We are desperate and hungry."

:(

#15 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:36 PM

30,000 dead is horrific.

I don't know about y'all, but I'm on natural disaster overload. What an awful year, beginning with the tsunami. Then Katrina and Rita ripping up the Gulf Coast. Then Stan wiping out villages in Guatemala in mudslides.

Then this damned thing in Pakistan. The only possible good thing to come out of it would be if Osama bin Laden and his buddies got buried alive in some cave in Kashmir. And even that wouldn't be worth 30,000 lives.

Just unbelievable....I get the feeling the planet's trying to shrug us off, like a horse does an incompetent rider.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#16 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,129 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:11 PM

Norville, on Oct 9 2005, 10:59 AM, said:

Nonny said:

somebody said the quake lasted 6 minutes.
I doubt that. A quake as powerful as a 7.6 would've lasted over a minute, I'm sure, but there's an effect I've noticed -- time seems as if it's going on forever when one's stuck in a frightening quake. Just one minute of a 7.6 would probably feel like a lifetime.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found this in the FAQ section at the U.S. Geological Survey site, where I report earthquakes regularly:

# How long was the shaking?
The actual time it takes for a fault to slip depends on the size of the earthquake. A magnitude 5 earthquake slips for about a second; a M6 for a few seconds; a M7 for several seconds. The duration of shaking you actually feel from an earthquake depends in part on the distance you are from the epicenter of the earthquake. If you are close, the shaking will be more violent, "faster", and may not last as long. If you are further away, the high-frequency "fast" shaking will have been "absorbed" into the earth's crust, you will feel are the longer-period, more rolling motions, and they may be of longer duration. In short, the duration is different in different places, even for the same earthquake. In addition, observers in the nearby locations may describe different directions depending on the type of building they are in, and how each perceives the shaking.
This explains why the closest one I've experienced, about 5 miles from here, was so short and scary.  :oh:  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#17 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:12 PM

It hasn't been that much worse than any other year, not when say a similar number died around Bam in Iran last year or a few years before that in the Turkish earthquake or the yearly typhoons that run through Bangladesh killing into the tens of thousands. Natural disasters happen. That has been a fact of human existence since we first gained the ability generate abstract thought and they will be with us until we die as a species or assume complete control over our natural environment. The only reasons there seem to be many of them is that now we can see and record all of them around the world in real-time  24 hours a day and a few of them hit harder than some have come to expect. Two hundred years ago we might not have found out about this earthquake for months or years if ever yet today we can beam pictures of the suffering and dying anywhere in the world as soon as it happens. It creates the impression of more being there without there needing to be anymore disasters at all, since now all disters anywhereno matter how large or small are world news.

As for this

Just unbelievable....I get the feeling the planet's trying to shrug us off, like a horse does an incompetent rider.

I had not expected you to ascribe such animism to anything. What makes now so special and not during the hieght of the Cold War or World War II or any other point after industrialization? Were not those times more polluted and closer to erasing mankind's civilization from the face of the Earth?

#18 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:20 PM

I was speaking figuratively. :)

I know you're right; there have been spikes in natural disasters over history, and right now it seems we're spiking. When it happens, though, the suffering is pretty overwhelming.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#19 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:46 PM

Well also we are hooked into the world a lot more than we used to. I am sorry for these folks. I gave what I could food and cash wise with Katrina& Rita. But what help we could not use I hope can be used to help those folks.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#20 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:57 PM

Spectacles, on Oct 11 2005, 12:20 AM, said:

I was speaking figuratively. :)

I know you're right; there have been spikes in natural disasters over history, and right now it seems we're spiking. When it happens, though, the suffering is pretty overwhelming.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Increased population density probably has something to do with the perception of more and worse natural disasters, along with modern construction techniques (a grass hut falling over is a lot less lethal than the ubiquitous concrete block apartments of the developing world) and differing settlement patterns.  Air conditioning, cheap travel and the like have certainly opened up the tropical, coastal hurricane and tsunami-prone regions of the world to vastly greater numbers of people than in the past.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Pakistan, India, Earthquake, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users