3 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:48 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...temala_flooding

Guatemala - A week of mudslides and flooding across Guatemala have killed more than 500 people and left another 337 missing, federal emergency officials said Saturday as rescuers in Central America and Mexico still tried to reach isolated areas.

The newest death toll includes 37 people killed by a landslide in western Guatemala along the Mexican border. A fire official put Guatemala's death toll Friday at 287.

Guatemala has borne the brunt of heavy rains exacerbated by Hurricane Stan, which made landfall Tuesday on the Mexican Gulf Coast before quickly weakening to a tropical depression.

On the banks of the mountain Lake Atitlan, dozens of Mayan Indian villagers swarmed over a vast river of congealed mud that covered trees and houses, digging with hand tools for bodies under a landslide that swallowed an entire neighborhood.

Primitive wooden coffins piled up in the cemetery in Santiago Atitlan, waiting for badly decomposed bodies. Villagers held sprigs of native herbs to ward off odors as they dug mass graves for bodies that would be buried without names.

"Entire families have disappeared," said Diego Sojuel of the Santiago Atitlan municipal aid committee. "In some cases there is no one that can identify the cadavers. And in other cases it is because of the state of putrefaction that we are going to have to bury them without names."

I saw some of the footage on the news it looked terrible.  :eh:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:08 PM

According to my local TV news just now there was also a 5.8 earthquake in this area. Talk about a double whammy!
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#3 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:57 PM

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  This is awful.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#4 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:49 PM

An entire village was wiped out today alone.

I'm worrying about a couple I do beta testing for. They live in Guatamala City.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Floods in Guatemala, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users