14 replies to this topic

#1 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:23 PM

http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/4317972.stm

link only so nobody mistakes their words for my opinons.

I think ti's a good thing, but I think ti should not only be young girls vaccinated - it should be everyone, male or female, as men can be carriers and older women who are not infected would undoubtably like to remain that way!
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#2 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:10 PM

Interesting to read 70% of cervical cancer is an STD.

Edited by eloisel, 09 October 2005 - 01:23 PM.

#3 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:17 PM

Had to do some looking.  Was excited there may be a shot to prevent cervical cancer.  Appears this vaccination is only good for cervical cancer caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV - strains 16 and 18). I'm happy for those it will help.

Edited by eloisel, 09 October 2005 - 01:22 PM.

#4 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:50 PM

considering it's one of the largest cancer-killers in women, yes! only second to breast cancer, I believe..and if they can knock it down 70% or even just half that, with a single jab...well, that would be fantastic.

#5 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 03:07 PM

"Jab" :Oo:... I'll never understand British vocabulary choices...

#6 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

I regret I have but one life to waste infront of videogames.

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 03:09 PM

well...you jab someone with a needle...its not too big of a stretch :Oo:

Sounds pretty impressive stuff. Will this pave the way to other cancer treatments or is it limited to cervical cancer only?
Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air; And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind.

Posted Image

#7 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 03:21 PM

Some of the techniques used in this vaccine might have applicability to other viral induced cancers but that would be the limit of its applicability. Cancer is a very complex  series of diseases coming from a variety of cources and it amazes me just how much progress has been made against it in the last thirty years.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#8 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:43 PM

me personally, i'd be very surprised if there weren't more cancers with viral causes that we haven't yet discovered (the causes, not the cancers). Remeber, five years ago, cervical cancer was caused by unsafe sex/multiple partners.

So i'd say in the long run, it wil probably have more ramifications.

#9 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:48 AM

It's a good thing.  But, as has often been the case throughout history, certain religious fanatics want to block progress.   Their rationale for this is truly mind-bogglingly moronic.   Why not get the shot just in case, then practice abstinence anyway?  It's not like it's either-or.

In the US, for instance, religious groups are gearing up to oppose vaccination, despite a survey showing 80 per cent of parents favour vaccinating their daughters. "Abstinence is the best way to prevent HPV," says Bridget Maher of the Family Research Council, a leading Christian lobby group that has made much of the fact that, because it can spread by skin contact, condoms are not as effective against HPV as they are against other viruses such as HIV.

"Giving the HPV vaccine to young women could be potentially harmful, because they may see it as a licence to engage in premarital sex," Maher claims, though it is arguable how many young women have even heard of the virus.

Here's hoping that, as is also usually the case, the world will continue to progress despite the meddlesome goofs.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#10 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:54 AM

yes, and so is rubella, after all, catching htat could harm the baby and we get those jabs...oh wait, why not stop vaccinating at all, and let God sort them out...

PFtt. if people truly believe in not having premarital sex, they won't. And this jab won't convince them otherwise.

#11 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 05:49 PM

You might want to run this thread and the link in the multiple doctors and med's sticky thread in the beach section as well as maybe in the Science section.

This way the news could get shared.

This not to say this is important but that it should be a in more than one section.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#12 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:17 PM

How do i do that? Or does a mod need to do that?

#13 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:46 PM

Well I would at least ask a mod but worse case post a thread in the science tech area. and post the link in the multiple doctors and med's thread in Beach.

The info can go where it goes from there. As OT has a habit of trying to turn to politics and those areas do not get the same crowds.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#14 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 11:06 AM

I can move the thread to another forum, but putting up links to multiple fora would take an Admin.  It could fit in EtU, or here IMHO.  I'll leave it up to you where you'd like your thread to live. Just let me know :)

-Nick

#15 ladyphoenix

ladyphoenix
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:01 AM

I think it's hillarious that religious groups are going to oppose this vaccine.  I wonder if they realize that when you go into a place like your doctor or Planned Parenthood and get tested (say before you're married) they only test for gonorrhea and chlamydia.  You have to have signs or symptoms of something wrong for them to even try to diagnose you with something outside of those two.  I've asked.  I asked the last time I had my pap at Planned Parenthood.  I paid the 16 extra bucks to get my self std checked, and I asked the woman, because we had just been talking about a friend of mine who had precancerous cells on her cervex caused by HPV, if that test would be able to tell her if I had something like that...  And she said no.  I said, "Do you test for it?" "No."  

So I have to ask myself.  Just how dangerous is sex these days?  Being tested isn't even a guarantee that you are clean.  Checking for the two most common STDs isn't quite kosher, not in my book I'd say.  The two they do test for are the treatable ones.  It's the UNtreatable ones they should be testing for.  Those are the ones that you want to make sure you don't have before you go having sex with someone...  you know?
For what's really going on, please check out http://www.thephoenixsunrise.com and http://www.righttothink.com Thanks!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, 2005, Medical Research

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users