Katrina New Orleans Levees Farrakhan

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 11:52 AM

No offense to anyone out there, but this is by far the most ignorant statement to  come out of the disaster thus far. Almost makes RFK Jr and Michael Brown look like Eistein...

Almost

http://www.turnto10....327/detail.html

WASHINGTON -- Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan said it's up to the government to prove that a levee wasn't bombed to flood poor black people out of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Farrakhan said he's heard that military explosives may have been used to blow a hole in the levee, resulting in what he said would amount to "mass murder."

{Edited per Moderator request...}

Edited by Natolii, 14 October 2005 - 10:38 PM.

"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:05 PM

Yeah. Right.

Has anyone told Louie that his 15 mins of fame are over yet?
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:44 PM

Farrakhan's a dolt.

I remember one of the only times a black co-worker really got ticked off about something was when I came into work with a copy of The Final Call that I'd bought off some Farrakhan supporter at a stop light.  The guy (who was trying his damnedest to look just like Louis) came up to my car and said, "Would you give a dollar to help stop violence in our community?" and I said sure, gave him a buck, and he tossed me a copy of the paper.  I wasn't sure what it was but figured I'd read it at work (it was a radio station so reading stuff at work was practically mandatory).  When my friend saw that, he said, "What are you doing with that?!?" and then went off on a tear about what an idiot Farrakhan is.  So, Louie shouldn't think he speaks for all black people, not by a long shot.

And the government fouled Katrina up big time, but thinking they wanted to kill people off by blowing up the levees is so ludicrous that it's beyond tinfoil hattism.  The only thing that's been sabotaged and blown up is Farrakhan's credibility, if he makes statements like that.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#4 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:50 PM

Farrakhan is living proof that bigotry, paranoia and ignorance knows no color. I doubt he even beleives what he's saying but it sure is a nice attention grabber for a man who clearly suffers from "Look at ME" syndrome.

The government screwed the pooch on Katrina, I won't even say that race didn't play a role in their slow response (because I don't know the answer to that one) but I don't believe for a second that they caused the levee breaches.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:19 PM

....thinking they wanted to kill people off by blowing up the levees is so ludicrous that it's beyond tinfoil hattism.

Farrakhan is definitely in need of a tinfoil hat. I saw him interviewed on Fox, where the reporter asked him about a "vision" he reportedly had in the mid-80's in Mexico. Farrakhan happily told the story of climbing a mountain and then having a vision of being taken aboard a spacecraft, which zoomed up to the mother ship. There, he heard the voice of Elijah Muhammed warning him that Reagan was going to start a war. The vision was true, he said, because Reagan went after Qaddafy.  :blink:

Now here's the sad part: there are people who do listen to Farrakhan. And because some remarks by one idiot official to the effect that it's a great thing that nature cleaned out the 9th Ward have been widely spread, that kind of nuttiness primes some folks to believe Farrakhan's nuttiness. Also, there have been some fears in NO that because the 9th Ward is close to Downtown, the rebuilding might focus on high-income townhouses and such, housing that would effectively outprice the 9th Ward for its former residents. What truth there is to that, I don't know, but I know that I saw an interview with a NO City Councilwoman who expressed that concern. Those kinds of fears and concerns are already floating around, so naturally Farrakhan, hatemonger that he is, will add a perfectly loony conspiracy theory to the mix. But, again, because of those concerns, what Farrakhan says is more plausible to some people than we'd like to admit.  In fact, a couple of my students were discussing it after class today.

Edited by Spectacles, 14 October 2005 - 02:20 PM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#6 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:24 PM

Reminds me of a time when a female told me I was sexist.  I replied that I was not.  She smirked and said "prove it."

What I said next didn't help my case.

This is the one statement Louie made that I totally agree with...

Farrakhan said blacks are tired of begging others to do what blacks should be doing for themselves.

The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made? ó A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#7 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:39 PM

This is the same man who built a religous empire based on the idea of massive spacecraft waiting behind the Moon to come down and kill all white people and start a new age and then attacked the makers of Independence Day when they had aliens in large flying saucers attack the Earth. The most unfortunate thing is that some people will take this ludricrus garbage seriously.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#8 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:50 PM

I gotta admit...it does have the makings of one seriously kick ass urban legend. The black militant crowd has a crapload of conspiracy yarns, and this has got to be the best one yet. If nothing else, some fertile imaginations are being cultivated there.

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#9 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 03:51 PM

that's just sick.
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#10 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 03:55 PM

:(

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#11 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:28 PM

Itís not about the conspiracies itís about the anger. The conspiracies are not real but the anger is real and in many ways justified. AND Iíll stop here less I put my foot squarely in my mouth again.
Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#12 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:30 PM

No, sparky - you've spoken a truth.  Until there is real response to the anger, anyone can say anything that will feed the anger...

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#13 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:44 PM

Well, here we have another guy that makes me sick.

Louis Farrakhan.

Everytime this guy opens his mouth, it's trouble.

His bigotry knows no bounds.

He hates Jews. He hates Whites. And he hates women.

He's as racist and exclusionary as they come, and the sooner he's out of power the better for everyone.

He knows good and well that that didn't happen.

But, as usual, when this stuff is said, he'll always get a pass, and he'll preen for the cameras, because that's all he really wants.

I hope one day when he wants to speak, no one will listen.

sp
Love is hard...and all there is.

#14 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 12:07 PM

who's going to listen to that crap?  the levee broke because it wasn't built properly....duh!  there's widespread evidence to that.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#15 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 12:19 PM

The bad thing of those levees is the things were bulit up with scrap and debrie and alsomost anything. The problem is that when they put in the concrete walls it was on a foundation of dirt and whenthe water spilled over the top it washed out that dirt and the wall fell because part of it's foundation was washed away.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#16 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 12:23 PM

One also has to remember that a barge ( no small thing ) broke free and pummled the levee at the spot that failed.  No bomb, just too much stress on a old, inadequately built structure that failed at the worst possible time.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#17 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 12:35 PM

To make the levees stronger would mean putting a barrier up to hold back the waters or put the new barrier inside the older one and the city grew up to the old barrier and the city should have taken up the ground but that would have cost votes.

TANSTAAFL

#18 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 02:19 PM

He got this from reading the Bible and the Koran?  Wo!  The gubmint hates me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so.    I especially like the part where he fails to provide proof, big surprise.  :suspect:  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#19 Enkanowen

Enkanowen
  • Islander
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:49 PM

those levees were brittle enough that someone sneezing too hard woulda blown them over. Shoddy workmanshup... if he wanted to truly make a point about racism he could say the government didn't want to repair the levees because of the ethnic population in New Orleans.

#20 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 12:02 AM

The thing is these levees needed replaced but the city and state misused federal fund for those upgrades. Or they did not use them and sent the money back. If these levees were like those in holland then they would be stable and made with stone and steel and set to handle these events.  

The truth is the feds should have stepped in decades ago made it happen. Or the State should have done when the feds gave them the money just for that purpose. They could have claimed even more land for use. Also The City should have as this is their front yard.

TANSTAAFL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, New Orleans, Levees, Farrakhan

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users