37 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 04:36 PM

Heya,

This is a place to discuss politics, history, and current events.

All the rules still apply.

I'll be moving the relevant threads from The Beach to here this morning.

Enjoy,
Rov

This forum is in connection with this announcement: http://www.exisle.ne...&f=10&t=3246&s=
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 04:40 PM

here we go

i'm nicking the first user post :D

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 04:41 PM

^

I'm a user too, ponce. ;).

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 04:41 PM

Godeskian, on Apr 27 2003, 02:30 PM, said:

i'm nicking the first user post :D
That is ssssoooooo cheap.  :p ;)

Rov how far do you intend to hunt back on The Beach?
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#5 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 04:46 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Apr 27 2003, 02:31 PM, said:

^

I'm a user too, ponce. ;).
i meant regular user

you're an admin, plus you are the big cheese

so you don't count

it's the rules

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#6 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 04:57 PM

CJ-- Indefinitely.

:p Gode ;)

#7 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 05:00 PM

actually, i think indefintely does have some things going for it, namely that some of the older discussions may actually benefit from 20/20 hindsight, especially vis-a-vis the situation in the middle east.

Defy Gravity!

#8 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 05:01 PM

Godeskian, on Apr 27 2003, 02:50 PM, said:

actually, i think indefintely does have some things going for it, namely that some of the older discussions may actually benefit from 20/20 hindsight, especially vis-a-vis the situation in the middle east.
Yeah seeing several threads that had responses to them...  That I never knew were made. :blush:
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#9 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 05:14 PM

Gode-- Precisely.

There's a great thread from Drew that links to satelite images that I never knew existed. :).

#10 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 05:39 PM

Okay, I think I got them all.

I'll make another pass at the forum later, just in case I missed anything. :).

#11 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 06:04 PM

Also, we're discussing some details of this forum in AQG.

Take a look. :).

#12 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,883 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 07:38 PM

I'm just wondering what the parameters are for "relevant" threads.  My understanding is that the idea was not to gut the Beach of all current-events or political discussion, but rather to separate out the more in-depth, analytical and academic threads on those subjects.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#13 Bossy

Bossy

Chaos Personified

• Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 08:15 PM

^That was my understanding as well.

#14 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 08:28 PM

^

It's a difficult distinction.

To draw a paralel, there's a similar tricky dichotomy between GMD/Reviews; there's a lot of stuff that could arguably go in either forum.

What I had in mind is this:

Any discussion of politics, in-depth discussion of current events, anything political, or anything historical.

For Instance:

Cardie's thread on Toronto, while directly connected to a current event, is just sending good thoughts and prayers to the resident of said town. Conversely, a thread debating the relative merits of the WHO's decision vis a vis Toronto would go here.

Anakam's (I believe it's Anakam) thread sending thoughts and prayers to to the residents of the town with the school shooting would stay in The Beach. A thread debating what should be done about school violence would go here.

Flatlanddan's thread on 'disposable pets' would probably stay in the beach. While it's veriy serious material, it's hardly political.

Lastly: I did the moves mostly by the title of the thread and what I remembered of the contents. There wasn't time to look through 150 some-odd threads and read all the posts inside. If there's anything you feel is in the wrong place, just yell. :).

#15 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 09:22 PM

WOW! AutoRov RULEZ!!! :D

I thought we'll just have a clean empty start in our new forum, but you did a great job :wideeyed:

Congrats to us all and let's have some fun :hehe:
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#16 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 09:54 PM

Thanks! :D

Yes, let's! :hehe:

#17 Julie

Julie
  • Islander
  • 777 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 10:31 PM

Enmar, on Apr 27 2003, 03:12 PM, said:

I thought we'll just have a clean empty start in our new forum, but you did a great job :wideeyed:
Me too.  This was probably a better way though.

Thanks Rov (and anyone else who might have helped...)!  :cool:

#18 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 10:34 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Apr 27 2003, 11:29 AM, said:

I'll make another pass at the forum later, just in case I missed anything.
The Beach is a redhead?

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#19 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 10:39 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Apr 27 2003, 02:18 PM, said:

Any discussion of politics, in-depth discussion of current events, anything political, or anything historical.
If I could further the distinction a bit.

- If the reason for the thread is due to a current event but intended for sentimental or visceral purposes (like a hug thread or a "how stupid is this guy?" thread) it should stay on the Beach.
- If the reason for the thread is due to the political comments of an entertainer (such as the Dixie Chicks, for instance) it should go to GMD. (I might be in the minority on this one, but it is more a discussion of media than politics.)
- If the reason for the thread is due to a current event and intended for comments of a political nature ("Bush is a moron"), rather than of a non-political nature ("Can't Clinton keep his damned pants on?"), it should stay here.
- Any articles linked for commentary of a similar nature should also stay put.

It's semantic, really-- this is just me spelling out what Rov and Ro and the rest know how to do already.

I mean, I know how it'd work. At least, I can see it in my mind. (And I found myself amusedly cursing at myself for supporting a forum that meant I had spent five minutes looking on the Beach for a thread I knew would be here.... d'oh!)

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#20 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 12:24 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Apr 27 2003, 02:18 PM, said:

Cardie's thread on Toronto, while directly connected to a current event, is just sending good thoughts and prayers to the resident of said town. Conversely, a thread debating the relative merits of the WHO's decision vis a vis Toronto would go here.
Of course, my hug thread for residents of Toronto swiftly turned into an in-depth political debate on WHO policy.  There's really no way to tell what will develop. In Reviews/GMD we tend to let the poster decide where to start the thread and don't move it, no matter what course it takes, except to make sure there are plenty of spoiler warnings and space on any GMD thread that veers off into spoilerish territory.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Orbis Terrarum, OT

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users