• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 12:30 AM

In short, the Beach indeed will become nothing more than a silly little fluffy place for polls, hugs, an quizzes.  fun enough I suppose but no one will have to worry about scawy things like politics or anything because it's all been nicely tucked away in a nice little separate niche.

:rolleyes:

Lil
Posted Image

#22 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 12:38 AM

I think (hope?) you wil be surprised Lil, i've found the people here are constantly surprising me.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#23 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 12:51 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Apr 27 2003, 10:20 PM, said:

fun enough I suppose but no one will have to worry about scawy things like politics or anything because it's all been nicely tucked away in a nice little separate niche.
Lil, little is an interesting choice of words.  

We currently have 10 forums on this site and this one has just been established yet it is larger than many of the all ready established forums.  It looks be ranked as fifth out of the ten forums in terms of both viewing and number of posts.  This is just with the bulk of the posts here coming out of The Beach.  I would suggest that this illustrates exactly how much HP&CE was buried and hidden under the weight of posts that The Beach generates.  

I’d suggest that we might all want to give this forum time to prove itself before we past judgment on it that is steeped in the short term.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#24 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 03:12 AM

Okay, I voted for this forum, but just want to make sure "current events" doesn't mean everything that happens in the current world.  I mean, I assumed it would involve politics or history somehow.  I've seen several posts that clarified what I was thinking, and hopefully those are the kinds of events that will find there way here. :)

#25 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 03:34 AM

^

And that's at least three people who, um, aren't sure exactly what the hell this new little forum is all about.

Gee, I *wonder* if that might be because, no wait, don't tell me, it will come to me......

Ah yes........because no actual DISCUSSION of the matter happened *before* it was put to a vote!

:p

Maybe, *just* maybe it could have been helpful to know what you were getting into, oh, I don't know, um *before* it was put on a ballot.

Oh well.

And, no, I don't expect to be surprised at all.:)
Posted Image

#26 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 04:19 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Apr 27 2003, 06:18 PM, said:

. If there's anything you feel is in the wrong place, just yell. :).
Yo Rov Head Honcho Boss Man.  :cool:

Looking down through I would say the following threads are better suited for The Beach but that is just what I think:

WWE Divas in Playboy
Man Arrested for saving his dog from fire (more of a gut reaction one)
Joining the Red Cross (Sort of a humor case) ;)
Yet more activist/borderline extremist hijinks (I’d say this is more of a gut reaction one)
Three teens arrested for Toxic Slush (Another hazy area but I’d say gut reaction)
OMFGZ si teh funneh!, Remember the "hey mr taliban" song? (humor so Beach topic really)
Axis of Evil Wannabes
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""

#27 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 05:43 AM

Of course, my hug thread for residents of Toronto swiftly turned into an in-depth political debate on WHO policy. There's really no way to tell what will develop. In Reviews/GMD we tend to let the poster decide where to start the thread and don't move it, no matter what course it takes, except to make sure there are plenty of spoiler warnings and space on any GMD thread that veers off into spoilerish territory.

Cardie

I think we'll end up sticking with that GMD/Review philosophy. Unless something is blatantly in the wrong place, it'll probably stay. Example: "What star wars character are you?" in here

In short, the Beach indeed will become nothing more than a silly little fluffy place for polls, hugs, an quizzes. fun enough I suppose but no one will have to worry about scawy things like politics or anything because it's all been nicely tucked away in a nice little separate niche.

Hardly.

Again, the consumate example is Flatlanddan's post on pets; it's serious, but it would stay in the beach.

CJ-- The humour posts no doubt got here by accident. Out of a move rate of 150 threads, six or seven isn't bad.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#28 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 05:44 AM

I just want to clarify that I'm all for this forum.  I just want to make sure the correct types of current events make it in here.  The political and history threads are fairly obvious, but there are a few current event threads that don't seem to belong.  I see CJ has listed most on my list and more.

Perhaps, current events should be limited to political and history related.  Just an idea.  Others here have already said what I'm trying to say in a better way.

I do like this forum tho. :)

#29 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 06:01 AM

Lil: And that's at least three people who, um, aren't sure exactly what the hell this new little forum is all about.

Everything takes a bit of time to get the feel for and this will be no different.  Posters need times to feet out the boundaries and develop an understanding of this forum.    

Lil: And, no, I don't expect to be surprised at all

Now Lil I think and have seen signs that you are an optimist at heart.  I think it is incredibly close minded of you to simply write off this forum before it has a chance to prove itself simply because you don’t think it will work.  I think it deserves just as much of a chance to succeed as any other part of this forum and it was carried by one of the largest for votes in the short history of the Isle.    

I’ll toss in a small quote as to why I think, “pessimism is not a survival trait” for anyone.  
“How many pessimists end up by desiring the things they fear, in order to prove that they are right.”
- Robert Mallet
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz

#30 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 06:01 AM

WWE Divas in Playboy

Agreed.

Man Arrested for saving his dog from fire (more of a gut reaction one)

Agreed. Moved by accident.

Joining the Red Cross (Sort of a humor case) ;)

Agreed.

Yet more activist/borderline extremist hijinks (I’d say this is more of a gut reaction one)

Three teens arrested for Toxic Slush (Another hazy area but I’d say gut reaction)
OMFGZ si teh funneh!, Remember the "hey mr taliban" song? (humor so Beach topic really)
Axis of Evil Wannabes

Agreed.

The interface for moving threads en masse is clumsy; there were bound to be a few that didn’t go the right way.

The humour threads and the—as you say—‘gut reaction’ posts are in a different category. Once again, it’s like the dichotomy between GMD/Reviews; difficult to describe, but you know it when you see it.

In the case of the WWE threads, it's just not current events.... it's pop culture. It would either go in GMD or The Beach; probably Beach. :).

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#31 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 06:05 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Apr 28 2003, 03:51 AM, said:

The interface for moving threads en masse is clumsy; there were bound to be a few that didn’t go the right way.
Good work on the move though.  You seemed to get everything there was relevant to the topic.
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz

#32 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 06:11 AM

CJ AEGIS, on Apr 27 2003, 08:55 PM, said:

Good work on the move though.  You seemed to get everything there was relevant to the topic.
I agree! ~~~~~~~Rov~~~~~~~>

Things are being fine-tuned. ;)

#33 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 06:12 AM

I gotta weigh in and say, it doesn't matter if you like this forum or not, Rov did a good job moving the pertinent threads here (and back again! ;) ) in no time.

Now all's we need is a solid base of threads to show what this forum's all about, and we're good to go!

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#34 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 06:17 AM

Thanks All :D

<~~~~ PNB ~~~~~

#35 eryn

eryn

So, a baby seal walks into a club...

• Islander
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 06:18 AM

Thanks Rov!!!  :D :)

mystic
If you watch the news and don't like it, then this is your counter program to the news.
Jon Stewart

My Flickr

#36 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 06:40 AM

APOTS :cool:

#37 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 05:49 AM

Peridot peeks into the forum, pokes her inquisitive nose into a few threads, and purrs a little.... I think I'm going to like visiting this forum---lots of good ideas to pounce on!  :)

And now, I'm going to be just a little bit naughty, and suggest a slightly different name for the forum, when it's only about a week old.... :rolleyes:  :D

.....I don't really think "current events" is the best phrase, if I understand correctly what the forum is supposed to be about.  Current events covers everything from things like a hypothetical "Dog bites Mickey Mouse statue and looses tooth, Owner sues Disneyworld",   to things much more serious, yet not having social causes, like the recent earthquake in Turkey, to the really heavy stuff like the tragedies and horror involved in war.  It looks to me like what we're really discussing here are social issues---so why not call it "History, Politics and Social Issues"?  Or some variation thereof?

Picky, picky Peridot...... ;)   :p

Like I said, just a bit naughty, especially since I'm not really back yet, just passing through.... :angel: ....but  if this is our social science forum, I'd love to see a name that reflects that as comprehensively as  possible. :love:  

Anyway, just my thoughts.....

Peridot
Posted Image

#38 StarDust

StarDust
  • Islander
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 07:01 PM

I've been away the last month and come back to find this new forum.

VERY COOL!!!   :)

Now there's a place to have serious discussions about world events without wading through all those hug threads.

And that does matter. Many of us can't be logged in all day, everyday.  The amount of time devoted to just finding a thread you are interested in does matter when you only have a few minutes here and there.

So again, VERY COOL!!!   :D   :D  :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Orbis Terrarum, OT

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users