Military Australian Military Tennyson's Militaries 2003

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 04:47 AM

Well, my thought in this theoretical excercise was always that the Ozzies could make the landing but the best they could do with it would be to take an island somewhere, even if they got the airfields up and running because of the logistics issues. In the scenerio I presented I thought I was making pretty realistic assumptions, for example, they have another Newport Landing Ship, 4 more Perry class frigates and another 2 MEKO  class frigates, but some of them will be down for repair, on other duties or just not be supportable that far from home. Like I said, this scenerio would require the Australians to deploy a sizeable chunk of thier fleet for at best taking an island somewhere.  I think they could do that but trying to move beyond it wouldn't be possible because getting enough support in place to move beyond it would take so long that Canada would be fully mobilized and ready to meet them. Although they might keep the island due to the lack of naval assets to breakthrough to the island.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#22 EvilTree

EvilTree

my silence is my pervading call

• Islander
  • 623 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 04:50 AM

Hmmm... I do think Canada has landing crafts moored up somewhere.

If all fails, get couple of high speed ferries to take over the island. ;)
Loyalty, Vigilance, Excellence
-Motto of Imperial Space Marines

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Self control is chef element in self respect. Self respect is chief element in courage."
-Thucydides

#23 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 07:26 AM

Tennyson: They have another Newport Landing Ship, 4 more Perry class frigates and another 2 MEKO class frigates

They would probably also send along the Perth class destroyer since she is arguably a fairly good AAW vessel with better naval gunfire support capability than anything else the Aussies have.  

Tennyson: I think they could do that but trying to move beyond it wouldn't be possible because getting enough support in place to move beyond it would take so long that Canada would be fully mobilized and ready to meet them.

If the Aussies could take an island with a suitable landing strip they could start moving F-111s and F/A-18s into that strip.  Given enough tanker support they could probably ferry in a few F-111 and even F/A-18s while Canada is still trying to mobilize.   That could give them a substantial advantage if they can neutralize the CF-18s early on.  The question to me is how quickly Canada can get some real ordnance for the CF-18s and how many they would use in their initial attacks again the Australian Naval Force.    

EvilTree: Hmmm... I do think Canada has landing crafts moored up somewhere.

The question is how bad do they leak…

EvilTree: If all fails, get couple of high speed ferries to take over the island. 

All the landing craft and ferries in Canada won’t do much if the Aussies simply blast them apart with their Naval Force and/or F-111s.  What I think Tennyson was referring to would be whether Canada actually has enough of a naval force to neutralize the Australian Navy prior to attempting an invasion.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#24 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 12:18 PM

I found some more up to date information about the Australian Navy, the single remaining Charles F Adams class destroyer was out of service by 2002, and the Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates are undergoing an extensive upgrade that will include installation of an 8 cell Mk 41 vertical launch system for 32 Evolved Sea Sparrow missiles with the first completing in 2003 and the last in 2005.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Military, Australian Military, Tennyson's Militaries, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users