#1 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:21 PM

CNN, on Tuesday, October 25, 2005; Posted: 4:07 a.m. EDT (08:07 GMT), said:

Civil rights icon Rosa Parks dies at 92
Long known as the 'mother of the civil rights movement'

(CNN) -- Rosa Parks, whose act of civil disobedience in 1955 inspired the modern civil rights movement, died Monday in Detroit, Michigan. She was 92.

Posted Image

Full Story

Edited by emsparks, 25 October 2005 - 07:13 AM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#2 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:31 PM

I just saw this on CNN.  Its sad we lost a great woman today.  RIP Ms. Parks.
"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

#3 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:42 PM

Rest in Peace.

Blessed Be
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#4 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:03 PM

RIP dear lady, thank you for your courage.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#5 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:14 PM

Terrible news but it was to be expected given her age. :down: :down:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#6 White Tiger

White Tiger

God, The Universe and everything...

• Islander
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:16 PM

Indeed a great brave woman
Hatred ever kills, love never dies such is the vast difference between the two. What is obtained by love is retained for all time. What is obtained by hatred proves a burden in reality for it increases hatred.
M.Ghandi.
And the ONE MILLIONTH POSTER ON EXISLE!

#7 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:30 PM

RIP :(  we have lost a great person.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#8 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:43 AM

Very few people can claim to have been the focal point for the change of an entire nation. Goodnight Rosa Parks, and rest in peace.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#9 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:43 AM

Great lady.  Sorry she's gone.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#10 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:59 AM

There is a time for all of us - and it was Rosa Parks' time.  I'm happy that she lived to be 92, and that she lived knowing that she made a contribution to the betterment of the world in which she lived.

God speed your journey, Rosa Parks.  Thank you for your shining example.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#11 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:00 AM

Given my own mortality issues, don’t get me wrong. Rosa’s death is a loss.

However I too have to say, given her state of health at her advanced age, her death seems more an act of kindness, then an outrage…

I think it was George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) that said “It’s a pity that youth is wasted on the young." If Rosa couldn’t have youth then I pray that she be allowed heaven.

Rest well dear lady, you are among the few that deserve blessed peace. Not for that all important act of righteous defiance, but for how you lived your life…

Edited by emsparks, 25 October 2005 - 10:01 AM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#12 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:47 AM

:welldone:
Can't Touch This!!

#13 Chakotay

Chakotay

For gosh sakes let me out of here!

• Islander
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:12 PM

May we all find strength from her example to stand up for what is right and just.

Peace, Rosa.
  No plan survives first contact with the enemy - military axiom.

#14 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 06:49 PM

Well done, Rosa Parks. And thank you.

I imagine that after having lived such a life, having taken a stand that sparked a movement to make this country grow, her rest must be mighty peaceful indeed.

That was a good life.

Edited by Spectacles, 25 October 2005 - 06:50 PM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#15 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:50 PM

She's riding to her reward, and she's sitting up front.  

Rest in peace, Rosa Parks.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#16 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:32 PM

Rest in peace...
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#17 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:23 AM

Most of us are just people. Rosa Parks was an icon, the bar to which the rest of us can only aspire.

Her example and her legacy are greater than her life or death, and by them we shall remember her and her great work, and in that way will continue to be better as a people, simply for her having once lived among us.

From this world of heartache, disappointment and sorrow, go in peace, Rosa Parks, for you have taught us that there is also hope in this world.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#18 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:50 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...DltBHNlYwM3MTY-

In death, Rosa Parks is joining a select few, including presidents and war heroes, accorded a public viewing in the Capitol Rotunda. It's the place where, six years ago, President Clinton and congressional leaders lauded the former seamstress for a simple act of defiance that changed the course of race relations.

On Sunday, Parks becomes the first woman to lie in honor in the vast circular room under the Capitol dome.

The House agreed by voice vote Friday that the body of Parks will lie in honor in the Rotunda on Sunday and Monday "so that the citizens of the United States may pay their last respects to this great American." The Senate approved the resolution Thursday night.

Congress has authorized this rite only 29 times since homage was paid to Henry Clay in 1852. Those honored include Abraham Lincoln, Gen. John Pershing, John Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, Hubert Humphrey and unknown soldiers from the world wars, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. The most recent was President Reagan in June last year.

Parks is one of the few not to be a government official or a member of the military. In 1909 Pierre Charles L'Enfant, the architect who designed Washington, D.C., was commemorated 84 years after his death. In 1998 two Capitol Police officers slain in the line of duty lay in the ornate room 180 feet below the Capitol dome.

She'll also be the first woman to lie in state in the Rotunda.  :cool:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#19 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:05 PM

She was a great lady, and I'm certain she rests in peace. I'm proud that people will be able to pay their respects to her at the Capitol Rotunda. She certainly deserves the honor.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#20 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:31 PM

Bless her.

To me she not only opened the doors on racism but eventually a lot of other atrocities.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Rosa Parks, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users