190 replies to this topic

#181 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:25 PM

scherzo, on Nov 3 2005, 06:13 PM, said:

Big question now is...what does any of this have to do with government protecting the life of an unborn child?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While we're at it, let's talk about how the government fails to protect the lives of many already born children.  I'll start.  How about those "parental notification" laws?  Girl gets date raped, gets pregnant, boy gets high fived, girl gets the crap beaten out of her by her father.  Yeah, government protection.   :suspect:  Real impressive.  Or twelve year old girl has to ask her daddy for permission to abort her little brother or sister.  :(   Care to try to tell me that that never happens?   :angry:

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#182 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:31 PM

And what do THOSE have to do with the issue?

#183 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:44 PM

THOSE are examples of the kind of tragedies that will only get worse for young girls as their personal rights, including abortion rights, are eroded.  Since we can't stop incest and rape, let's keep abortion safe and legal and free of the kind of obstacles that are designed to run the clock out on the first trimester.  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#184 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:49 AM

scherzo,
I think the point Nonny was making is that if men and the government are allowed to dictated whether woman have to become mothers, than fair is fair. How about this? If men father children they won't help raise, won't help financially support, then women and the government have the right to demand they have sterilization surgery. You'd still be coming out ahead (ohhhhhhhhh TOO many puns :D ) given that a vascetomy is far less dangerous, and intrusive than pregnancy is.

Edited by Lin731, 04 November 2005 - 10:55 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#185 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:54 AM

And what do THOSE have to do with the issue?

Because those are some of the real-life, ugly issues that arise with abortion and who get's to decide what happens. Take a look at the incest data sometime. Can you imagine having to ask "daddy's" permission to abort a child HE is responsible for creating illegally in the first place? A young woman I used to work with has a 14 year old daughter by her stepdad and guess what? MOM is STILL with the scumbag. Another woman I worked with married a guy who spent 5 years in prison for having sex with his neice. These are issues that defy the easy answer and blanket solutions many would purpose.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#186 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:27 AM

^^^Good Jesus, where do you work?!   :o

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#187 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:31 PM

^^^Good Jesus, where do you work?! 

:D  :D  :D  Your reaction was much like my own. The worst part, BOTH stories are from the same job and both were from people I worked with daily! The worst part of all, the girl with the child from her stepdad...Her mom and the stepdad are RAISING the little girl...I used to feel like that shop was really the Jerry Springer show minus the chair throwing and cloths tearing.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#188 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 12:36 PM

Solar Wind writes:
"A five-year old can't live unassisted outside of the womb. In fact, not many fifteen-year olds can."

LMAO!  My, what a devastating yet hilaious point.

Scherzo writes:
"My big problem is the way abortion advocates have chosen to frame their argument. While I'm technically on their side, the rhetoric often makes me wish I wasn't."

At the risk of dogging you around with nothing but "ITA's", I totally agree.

The unabashed equation of a zygote or fetus or premee to a parasite and tumor is alarming.  That this belief is held firmly by anyone whose charge it is to foster such human life (err... tissue?) is even more alarming.  (One day in the presence of a nurse at my spina bifodo-hydroceph. infant nephew's intensive care room has me thinking it's all too common.  She threw that infant around like he was a bed pan.)
There are similar physical comparisons of existance, but damn - the importance and reverence placed on those ... existances ... ought to be paramount for those whose hands we leave them in- from the med. staff to the parents.  If only there were a way to screen parents.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#189 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 03:27 PM

LMAO! My, what a devastating yet hilaious point.

Well, yeah, it does tend to undercut Scherzo's argument, but it's unkind to point it out to him.  On the other hand, we do have  a 59-year old "leader of the free world" who apparently can't exist outside a container with a fluid environment.   :lol:
Posted Image

#190 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 03:51 PM

Well, yeah, it does tend to undercut Scherzo's argument, but it's unkind to point it out to him. On the other hand, we do have a 59-year old "leader of the free world" who apparently can't exist outside a container with a fluid environment. 

:D Aint that the truth!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#191 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 12:14 AM

Lin731, on Nov 4 2005, 07:49 AM, said:

scherzo,
I think the point Nonny was making is that if men and the government are allowed to dictated whether woman have to become mothers, than fair is fair. How about this? If men father children they won't help raise, won't help financially support, then women and the government have the right to demand they have sterilization surgery. You'd still be coming out ahead (ohhhhhhhhh TOO many puns :D ) given that a vascetomy is far less dangerous, and intrusive than pregnancy is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, Lin, your point is better than the one I was trying to make.  Thanks for the assist!  :)  

No such thing as too many puns.  :p  

Nonny
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SCOTUS, Justice Alito, Record, Abortion, Spousal Notification

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users