Tornado Kills 16, Injures 200 in Ind., Ky.

Natural Disasters Tornados Indiana Kentucky 2005

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:06 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...HNlYwN5bmNhdA--

A tornado ripped across southwestern Indiana and northern Kentucky early Sunday, killing at least 16 people, wrecking homes and knocking out power to thousands, state and county authorities said.

The death toll was expected to grow, they said. About 200 people had been injured.

The tornado touched down near Henderson, Ky., and jumped the Ohio River into Indiana at around 2 a.m.

At least 12 people were killed in the Eastbrook Mobile Home Park in Evansville, said Annie Groves, chief deputy coroner for Vanderburgh County. She said she expected the death toll to grow because an unknown number of people were believed still trapped in debris at the park, which has about 350 homes.

"They were in trailer homes, homes that were just torn apart by the storm, so they're just now getting in there trying to find people," Groves said. "It's just terrible."

Indiana homeland security spokeswoman Pam Bright said four other people were confirmed dead in adjoining Warrick County, east of Evansville, where the Ohio River city of Newburgh was struck. She said a fifth person initially reported as dead was alive but in critical condition.

Bright said about 100 homes were destroyed and 125 others were damaged at the mobile home park.

It sounds like it could have alot worse.  :(
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:09 PM

This twister struck the worst place possible--a mobile home park.  Like a bull through tin foil.  Hope the death toll doesn't go up, but realist in me says is probably will.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#3 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 09:48 PM

I believe it's at 22 now.... :(  And something like 230 injured.

I dunno where all the Indiana Ex Islers are.... hope you're all okay.
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Tornados, Indiana, Kentucky, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users