• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 AnneZo

AnneZo
  • Islander
  • 688 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 11:38 PM

CJ AEGIS, on May 1 2003, 03:09 AM, said:

To a certain extent Australia is taking that role in the Pacific as regional power.  Though they do have the baggage of being a “western” power in terms of ideology.
Yes, but as a former penal colony, Australia has "street cred" with underdeveloped nations that the U.K. or France or most other Western countries don't have.

#22 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 01:27 AM

tennyson, on May 1 2003, 05:09 AM, said:

While the Chakri Naruebet is a nice air and amphibous platform(it has a landing well with three landing craft and can carry a couple of hundred troops) but the problem is money. The last I heard(2000) they could only operate her one day a month due to how much her operating costs are. That kind of puts a damper on projecting power.
I knew they could only operate her a limited amount of time but for some reason I thought it was more than that.  It doesn't surprise me though the one day a month figure.  I’ll have to check that one out because now it is going to bug me.  I still say though that out of the countries in Southeast Asia Thailand is the one I’d want taking a larger role on the international stage.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#23 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 01:54 AM

Of the countries that might be able to project power in the Southeast Asia region Thailand has my vote as well, Singapore is too small, Indonesia too much of a basket case, Malayasia has its own internal problems and the others are either destitute or too small to do much of anything even if you would want them involved in disputes beyond thier borders.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#24 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 02:05 AM

tennyson, on May 1 2003, 11:44 PM, said:

Of the countries that might be able to project power in the Southeast Asia region Thailand has my vote as well, Singapore is too small, Indonesia too much of a basket case, Malayasia has its own internal problems and the others are either destitute or too small to do much of anything even if you would want them involved in disputes beyond thier borders.
Thailand's got its own baggage in the region, though.  Witness the anti-Thai riots in Cambodia several months back.  

Zack
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#25 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 02:39 AM

Hi Zack, thanks for the information, is there anyone that you would pick?
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#26 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 06:10 AM

I may be wrong, though America and the western world having some "economic" interests in Africa, we've rarely have had problems getting it from them dirt cheap :p Even if its gotten through mistreatment of the people working there. Most of the times the US gets involved foreignly for economic reasons (though of course its never really about economics  :D ) from the few situations heard of (not in Africa, mostly south and central America) they're trying to keep things from those places cheap, so they often do things Detrimental! to the people there (not even including the force needed to "settle" things).

Edited by sierraleone, 02 May 2003 - 07:33 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#27 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 01:44 AM

tennyson, on May 1 2003, 05:09 AM, said:

The last I heard(2000) they could only operate her one day a month due to how much her operating costs are.
I threw out the question on another board and happened to be lucky enough to have the Thai Colonel who posts there respond.  The Chakri Naruebet is active all the time but with only a partial crew to maintain her and then once every week they put a full crew onboard to do more detailed maintenance.  They put a full crew on her once a month and take her out for a few days on exercises.  She spends a little over a month to two months at sea out of every year.  Apparently their big restriction is still budget and they have some issues with maintaining the Harriers on top of that.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: War, Congo

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users