Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:31 PM

LA Times

C.P. Ellis, 78; Once a Ku Klux Klan Leader, He Became a Civil Rights Activist
By Myrna Oliver, Times Staff Writer

C.P. Ellis, whose startling metamorphosis from Ku Klux Klan officer to civil rights activist was described in the 1996 book "Best of Enemies" and a subsequent documentary, "An Unlikely Friendship," has died. He was 78.

Ellis died Thursday at Durham Regional Hospital in Durham, N.C., of undisclosed causes. He had suffered from Alzheimer's disease and used a wheelchair in recent years.

Both Ellis' "enemy" and "friend" of the book and film titles was Ann Atwater, a black advocate of desegregation in Durham.

The event that converted the city's oft-praised "odd couple" from adversaries to allies was a 1971 community discussion session about the violence occurring as Durham tried to integrate its schools. Ellis and Atwater co-chaired the 10 days of 12-hour talks, forging not only the unusual friendship but profoundly changing Ellis' deeply rooted segregationist thinking.

Ellis and Atwater had been such bitter foes that she once pulled a knife on him at a Durham City Council meeting, and Ellis brought a machine gun to their first 1971 discussion session.

They became such close comrades that, after the meetings, Ellis renounced his position as Exalted Grand Cyclops of the KKK, repudiated segregation and joined Atwater in working to desegregate the Durham school system.

They continued to speak jointly at civil rights seminars and meetings for three decades.
Good to know that a person can make such a profound change.  :)  

Rest in peace, Mr Ellis.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:45 PM

Wow, sounds like a fascinating life-story.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:39 PM

Yeah, total redemption, making more than the most of what you were born to.  :cool:  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#4 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:31 PM

Amazing.  :cool:  :cool: It takes a big person to let go of old prejudices and start over fresh. Wow!
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, C.P.Ellis, KKK leader, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users