Marriage satire Same sex marriage marriage

• Please log in to reply
309 replies to this topic

#21 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:16 PM

Ok, well I'm Christian and I've heard that 'hate the sin, love the sinner' issue before- and here are my thoughts on it, for what they are worth. Incidentally, before I begin- point 3 happens to be close to my heart too.

Why is it a sin? Because it is unnatural- God made man and woman to have children. Well..I don't believe that's all he made us for. In fact I believe we are much more than that- and maybe he made gay people for children in need of adoption- and are people who chose not to have children? No. God made two rules- love God, love thy neighbour. Homosexual and bisexual people do not break these rules. God made them and he loves them. Yes- they are a mutated form (no offence- speaking purely scientifically here) of human reproduction systems- but we are ALL mutated forms of what we were meant to be- it's evolution- besides- God loves people with hideous mutations and doesn't think them sinners - why on EARTH or indeed, heaven, would he think a 'mutation' based on love would be a sin?

Ok I'll stop there..mainly because this isn't about whether homosexuality is a sin, it's about whether they should be allowed to marry. I believe if they are allowed to be together, as indeed they should be, they should be allowed to marry.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#22 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:19 PM

um...just for the record, I didn't find it necessarily offensive (because at the time I thought it was a belief/opinion).  I didn't really read it as a joke because sadly I've known at least a few small minded people who had most of those ideas themselves with all seriousness.  *shrugs*

Basically I think the best advice I could give is this, some things just aren't to be poked fun of.  You state about how some comics do it all the time.  Well yes they do, but they also recieve death threats and/or hated by the other half of the room than those laughing with them.  Hopefully, this won't blow up anymore than it has and you won't be harrassed or anything.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#23 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:27 PM

I have to say that where homosexuality is concerned, we're all both pretty ingnorant and working in the dark. I still don't know what homosexuality is, and when I say that, I'm not talking about the obvious manifestations.

That the brains of homosexuals are different has been documented, but what hasn't been explained to my satisfaction is what those differences actually mean.

What I'm saying here is that homosexuality is a complex outward manifestation of behaviour, but that the human brain in itself is dauntingly complex, so much so, that we may be completely mistaken in our interperetations of what this outward behaviour really means. In other words, the outward behaviour is a symptom, the brain itself contains the underlying cause of that symptom. This means that what we call "homosexuality" may be a complete misunderstanding or misinterperetation, because we're viewing a symptom of an unknown underlying cause.

Take the way homosexual men act and talk, for example. That is affected, learned behaviour. I've noticed many times over the years people coming out, then adopting that manner of speach and the physical mannerisms.

Many homosexual men claim to be women trapped in men's bodies, but I've never been able to buy into this because homosexual men do not act, talk or think like women. They act, talk and think as a unique sub-group that is different from both men and women.

It is not as simple as adpoting women's accoutriments, for example. What homosexual men do smacks more of an interest or fixation on women's things, which is not the same thing at all.

Anyway, as I say, I have a thousand questions, and no real answers. But I do not think that the phenomenon we call "homosexuality" is properly understood.

Edited by gsmonks, 11 November 2005 - 05:29 PM.

Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#24 Fragsta

Fragsta

The grandmaster of doom!

• Islander
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:35 PM

Wow, this topic changed from a joke to a political and religious debate really quickly....surely it's been discussed many a time before here?

Meh - the original post was very funny, anyway! :rolleyes:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Noticed my avatar and sig changing? Yours can too with the random sig imager!

#25 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:47 PM

Fragsta, on Nov 11 2005, 04:35 PM, said:

Wow, this topic changed from a joke to a political and religious debate really quickly....surely it's been discussed many a time before here?

Meh - the original post was very funny, anyway! :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool avatar!

Yeah, some of us have a tendency to rant and carry on. Sorry.

Yes, the original post was very funny. Maybe someone should tie our thumbs together and make us post more stuff in that vein.

Or . . . maybe someone should just tie our thumbs together.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#26 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:36 PM

Gee, wow... another case of liberals pandering their libel/slander about people who aren't enough like them, then trying to hide behind obviously bogus claims that it's "just humor/satire" and act all sweet and innocent about their lies and attacks.

Shocking. I NEVER would have expected anything like THAT... especially not HERE. :sarcasm:

#27 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:39 PM

I agree gs ^ we don't know a whole lot about it do we. Interesting yet sensitive area of discussion.

Fnl, I'm afraid I simply disagree. This thread makes a point and you're almost suggesting this topic of conversation should not be talked about. Like I said before- it's meant to be funny- it's also making a point through reverse-psychology.

If I'm 'poking fun' at anything, I'm poking fun at bigots- you imply poking fun at bigots is politically incorrect? Then bigotry is PC? :eh:

I think it's really important to satirise political and current issues, perhaps that is simply my POV, but it seems to me politicians could get really out of hand if it didn't happen.

Thank you to those who took this thread with the attitude for which it was intended.  I'm sorry if you are offended, but to be honest your reasons for this being generally offensive I simply disagree with.

SparkyCola

#28 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:47 PM

Gee, wow... another case of liberals pandering their libel/slander about people who aren't enough like them, then trying to hide behind obviously bogus claims that it's "just humor/satire" and act all sweet and innocent about their lies and attacks.

Whatever happened to freedom of speech, one wonders. Calling my opinions lies is far more slanderous than anything I have said. I didn't mean to make anyone feel attacked - again, I'm sorry you feel that way, call it a lie if you will but I am against prejudice.

I'm NOT sorry that I feel strongly about being against prejudice. Ani and Fnl made reasonable comments about- maybe this thread is about something sensitive- maybe inappropriate- and I disagree, but they weren't rude about it and that's what makes people respect and think about their points of view. I thought a long time before responding to their points. I would ask the same of those responding to me.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I respect that you hold that view- though can the same be said of you for my opinions?

I hope so. I'm astonished by how out of hand this thread has got and now I really do need mod help- should this be in the OT? :eh: I apologise to the Mods :(

Sparky

#29 Appreciate

Appreciate
  • Islander
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:52 PM

Sparky,

No need to apologize for posting this in the Beach, but I will whoosh this thread over to OT, as you suggest.

Kath :)
"Any dolt with half a brain/Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don't know if I'll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main..."
- Billy (aka Dr. Horrible) in My Eyes from the AWESOME Dr. Horrible's SingAlong Blog

#30 hannahthewriter

hannahthewriter

Even Harper has bad days

• Islander
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:57 PM

I thought it was funny, Sparky. :hugs:

Delvo, try to chill. I don't think it was meant to cause any offence.
Posted Image

#31 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:02 PM

Thanks Appreciate :)

Thanks Hannah :hugs:

Sparky

#32 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:08 PM

SparkyCola, on Nov 11 2005, 06:47 PM, said:

Calling my opinions lies is far more slanderous than anything I have said.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't call any opinions lies. I called your lies lies. You began the thread by accusing people of believing/saying stuff that they don't (and in order to belittle and make fun of them). And now by following that up with a false accusation, you've added hypocrisy to it.

Whatever happened to freedom of speech, one wonders.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, you don't wonder. You know perfectly well that, in fact, nothing has happened to your freedoms. You're just claiming otherwise, which is another lie, and adding yet another piece of rhetorical monkey-poo-flinging to your collection.

call it a lie if you will but I am against prejudice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So am I. But I'm also against dishonesty (such as right in the above quote, claiming that I objected to anyone's anti-prejudice position, as well as claiming farther up that I objected to your opinions, instead of what I actually did object to... so what's your score on those up to now?) and distortion (such as claiming that the original post was ever really about prejudice in the first place, other than as an example of liberal prejudice against non-liberals).

#33 Eskaminzim

Eskaminzim

Head eggs and butt toast

• Islander
  • 559 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:09 PM

Gay as old dad's hatband and completely unoffended.

Great post, Sparky!

#34 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:15 PM

I believe you are responding to my comments out of context.

I'm sorry you are offended, that was never my intention. I only meant to amuse and make a point.

SparkyCola

#35 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:16 PM

Thanks Eskaminzim :) Glad you liked it :)

Sparky

#36 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:29 PM

Sparky, I think maybe the implications got somebody a little to close to the bone, is all.  The fact is that those assertions, every one of them, has been made straight faced by anti-equality conservatives.  

Now me, I think it's a hoot.   Just wish I'd hung out with a few more basketball players before I stalled out at 5'7".   :lol:
Posted Image

#37 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:49 PM

3. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight
parents only raise straight children.

if that were true no one would be gay. so not only is is that statement impossible, it's also a lie. ;)
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#38 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:50 PM

I think you're right, I didn't realise that my post would spark of sensitivity about political affiliation- perhaps there is more controversiality about that in the US, over here I doubt such an issue would have been raised tbh.

^lol- hey, short is good ;)

{{{{{{{{{Harper}}}}}}}}}} :love:

SparkyCola

#39 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:52 PM

szh- they are all using rhetorical statements to make the point. It's not intended to be taken literally

Sparky

#40 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:54 PM

^ i know. ;) :lol:
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Marriage satire, Same sex marriage, marriage

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users