5 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:22 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...HNlYwN5bmNhdA--

Nearly three dozen tornadoes ripped through the Midwest, part of a huge line of thunderstorms that destroyed homes and killed at least two people.

"We heard a weird sound coming through, kind of a whistle," said Penny Leonard, 37, who sought shelter in the basement of a hospital Tuesday in the western Kentucky town of Madisonville. "I thank God I'm safe."

Meteorologists said a cold front moving rapidly east collided with warm, unstable air from the south on Tuesday to produce the thunderstorms that stretched from the Gulf of Mexico to the Great Lakes, spawning funnel clouds and tornadoes in parts of Missouri, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois and Tennessee.

The National Weather Service's Storm Prediction Center had preliminary reports of at least 35 tornadoes in the five states, spokeswoman Peggy Stogsdill said Wednesday at the center in Norman, Okla.

It was the third outbreak of twisters this month. One tornado on Nov. 6 killed 23 people in southern Indiana, and nine tornadoes struck Iowa on Saturday, killing one woman.

Roofs of homes were caved in, walls were blown out and entire buildings were blown off foundations in parts of Madisonville on Tuesday.

One person was killed at Benton, Ky., when the storms destroyed a mobile home, said Lori King, public information officer for Marshall County Emergency Management Services.

"There is not a lot left," King said Wednesday. "The mobile home flipped off the foundation at least once but possibly several times. It caught fire shortly afterward."

Along with tornadoes, thunderstorms in Indiana produced wind of more than 100 mph and as much as 2 inches of rain, causing scattered flooding, said meteorologist Jason Puma at the weather service in Indianapolis.

A teenager was killed when her car went out of control on a flooded road and overturned east of Indianapolis, Hancock County Sheriff's Dept. Sgt. Bridget D. Foy said.

In Tennessee, even Henry County's emergency officials had to scramble for shelter when their office was struck by a tornado. They moved into an office in the courthouse in Paris, about 90 miles west of Nashville.

"Numerous homes there were damaged, some completely destroyed," Henry County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Faye Scott said. "It's major destruction."

Brenda Magee, who lives in Paris, was just arriving at work at a furniture factory when the storm system hit.

"They told us to get inside," she said. "We were there for about 10 minutes under tables, dust and everything swirling around. It was a big roar."

The Henry County Medical Center treated 13 people and admitted two with non-life-threatening injuries, said spokeswoman Sandra Sims.

In Tennessee's Montgomery County, four mobile homes, a camper and two houses were destroyed at Cunningham, just south of Clarksville.

"It looks like a war zone," said Ted Denny, spokesman for the Montgomery County Sheriff's Department.

It(the weather) was pretty fierce yesterday.  :o
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:37 PM

Well we had three tornadoes here in Indiana tuesday.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:28 PM

I'm just in Michigan and this was a really nasty front.  Quite a bit of wind in the 30-50 mph range (mostly closer to 30 than 50, though), and rain just kept blowing through.  We escaped most of the storms--for which I consider us very lucky.  :eek4:

G, any of them close to you?
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#4 Heropa

Heropa

Phantom of the Obtuse - Pubic Defender

• Islander
  • 474 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:50 PM

I came out of the closet twice! :lol: Hall closet!
:music:
Listening to NPR go into allert status was so nice! With no cable/TV to look at I kept an eye on www.weatherunderground.com and had the sinking feeling I'd be in a twister sandwich! One came within fifteen miles of Bloomington's South-East side. I'm on the South-West and it was coming my way if it made it out of the valley it was cutting across. I prepped the front closet for entry, (light, space, something to sit on, cookies for me and milk to bait the cats.) and left it open. "...Hmm, I think I'll get dressed." :wow: Just when I had put my shoes on I looked out and  saw part of the Eastern horizon turn green and I know that still air is a trick. The computer got flipped off at the power strip right then and into the closet I go! :eek4:<sproing!> The radio allert said we had company comming! DUH! Way ahead of you!
:warning: Tornado Warning :warning: and it's forty miles south by twenty east. (Watch is eyes up- Warning is heads down. Like falling rocks and bears, you scamper for cover when warned.) So I spend ten minutes sitting with a hand on the doornob and one of two cats listening for a "train". :warning: Tornado Warning :warning: a second one sighted in the next county! South-WEST of me!?:dizzy:  Wait! The first one's now heading after Nashville. That means it turned down the valley. The second one broke up, but we're still in watch status for another two hours.  :argh:... Do they still sound the all clear siren? Hello?...

Later a friend showed up. We'd planned to visit another person and watch videos. He's soaked from just getting out of the car.  :eek3: Sirens sound and I opened the now little closet. :warning: Tornado Warning :warning: We checked to see if we can both fit. Good, back to back. :whistle: We hung around it for over half an hour waiting to  hear if anything got in our area. Yes, no, yes, no...no.  Then the radio gave the all clear for our county.
Yeah! :alert:
Your Heropa.
Here for something- there you go.

If you can't say anything nice, be accurate.

#5 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:05 PM

No the ones we had close to me was two years ago.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#6 ghoulboy

ghoulboy
  • Islander
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:56 PM

Had nothing but high winds and some rain and snow from the front. Major crap went south.

Does anyone know if the Memphis,TN area was effected as I got a cousin down there?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Tornadoes, Midwest, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users