17 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:11 AM

http://news.yahoo.co...brown_disasters

Former FEMA Director Michael Brown, heavily criticized for his agency's slow response to Hurricane Katrina, is starting a disaster preparedness consulting firm to help clients avoid the sort of errors that cost him his job.

"If I can help people focus on preparedness, how to be better prepared in their homes and better prepared in their businesses because that goes straight to the bottom line then I hope I can help the country in some way," Brown told the Rocky Mountain News for its Thursday editions.

Brown said officials need to "take inventory" of what's going on in a disaster to be able to answer questions to avoid appearing unaware of how serious a situation is.

In the aftermath of the hurricane, critics complained about Brown's lack of formal emergency management experience and e-mails that later surfaced showed him as out of touch with the extent of the devastation.

The lawyer admits that while he was head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency mistakes were made in the response to Katrina. He also said he had been planning to quit before the hurricane hit.

:eek2:  :eek:  :eek2:  :eek:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 01:48 AM

How to CAUSE them, right?  At last, something Brownie's good at!

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#3 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:16 AM

I'm trying not to snicker here--truly, I am.  I'll stop as soon as I see evidence that Michael Brown knows about disaster preparedness and education, rather than the lack thereof.
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#4 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:16 AM

To be fair he caused nothing, that was the problem him not acting. He had an emergency and he didn't manage it thus making it worse than it could have been but he didn't create it in the first place. Neither him or his people had any control over the hurricane or the levees just the aftermath. I'm suprised he thinks that anyone would want to be associated with this firm after he clearly showed his own lack of managent skills. But this is America the land of second chances and reinventing yourself and all that.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#5 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:32 AM

^^^ROFL

I have to agree with tennyson....

I'm suprised he thinks that anyone would want to be associated with this firm after he clearly showed his own lack of managent skills. But this is America the land of second chances and reinventing yourself and all that

But then most people don't have their lack of knowledge and skill so publicly exposed.  

I'm sorry I just can't stop laughing except to shake my head at this idea of his that anyone would want to hire him....

But then again I'm sure someone out there will ... :wacko:

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#6 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 05:29 PM

His company's new motto:

"Do as I say, not as I do."

Wonder what his client list will look like.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#7 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:04 AM

What next, Saddam teaching a Humanities class or Bin Laden teaching diplomacy????
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 12:36 PM

Actually if he can manage to hire competent mid and upper level management types who aren't afraid to tell him when to shut up and let us do our jobs.

I still say he was just the FEMA figurehead- all of those in apex positions pretty much are - the real failure occured down at the levels were some one should have 'grown a pair' and done what needed to be done instead of wussing about possibly overstepping their authority and offending some one with the power to take their jobs.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#9 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 12:50 AM

Point well noted, Shal.  (Think Peter Principle.)  But, from what I've seen, the guy had limited or none in the way of the kind of experience to run FEMA.

#10 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:21 AM

From news reports not only did he not have any experience with emergency management but what he claimed to have turned out to be a lie or rather an exaggeration of the position he had actually held.

And of course he was a figurhead....a political appointee

The thing is that when you accept a position as the head of anything...be it a government agency or a business...that you are the one person everyone blames so it's best to either figure out how to fix it or step up and accept the blame

Nobody knows Bob Smith or Joe Jones who screwed up on the lower levels....they only see and know the person who is the head and thus the face of the organization

And when it came down to it....Brown did not want to accept blame for the problems that came along with the perks of the job.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#11 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:31 AM

Lin731, on Nov 26 2005, 11:04 AM, said:

What next, Saddam teaching a Humanities class or Bin Laden teaching diplomacy????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or Muammar al-Qaddafi winning the Nobel peace prize?  :blink:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#12 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:19 AM

Agreed Lost Cause, and Trikay, agreed to all.  

I certainly don't think he'll do any good and I find it incomprehensible that he thinks he will ( and obviously he must since he is starting a firm )

I certainly wouldn't hire him, but the world's over all obliviousness continually astounds me so...* chuff of unamused laughter* he might well find clients.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#13 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:38 AM

DWF, on Nov 27 2005, 08:31 AM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't laugh.  Weird things happen:  Such as Sudan and Libya on the UN Human Rights Commission.

Addendum:  That kind of weird insures that Brown will have not only a sizeable client list, but very well known clients.

Edited by Lost Cause, 27 November 2005 - 11:40 AM.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#14 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:54 PM

Lost Cause, on Nov 25 2005, 02:29 PM, said:

His company's new motto:

"Do as I say, not as I do."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or perhaps, "We do a heck of a job."  :rolleyes:  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#15 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:57 PM

Nonny, on Nov 27 2005, 09:54 PM, said:

Or perhaps, "We do a heck of a job."  :rolleyes: 

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Turn the words about for something good:

"We do the job to he**."  

:D

#16 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:17 PM

Lost Cause, on Nov 27 2005, 11:38 AM, said:

DWF, on Nov 27 2005, 08:31 AM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't laugh.  Weird things happen:  Such as Sudan and Libya on the UN Human Rights Commission.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was the reason why he won the award.  ;)

#17 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:41 PM

Given the way things are going with the Peace Prize's awardings, I wouldn't be surprised if Khadaffi did win it at some point.  I mean, they gave it to Yasser Arafat in '94, didn't they?

#18 rponiarski

rponiarski

Still crazy after all these years...

• Islander
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:07 AM

Now all he needs is the presidential Medal of Freedom and he can join the ranks of George Tenant and J. Paul Bremer in the administration's "competency" pantheon... :crazy:
Richard M. Poniarski
Everyone is entitled to live in the reality of their own choosing...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, FEMA, Michael Brown

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users