Culture Sexism Quantas Bans Men Discrimination

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:44 AM

I think they're concerned because there might somehow be a situation come up where the only seat avail on a flight is next to a child flying alone and they don't let a male passenger get on the flight.

I can't really see tht happening, but taken to extremes...

#22 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:20 PM

An all-male flight? I wonder what the odds would be. Maybe if they were flying out of Vegas and all the Elvis impersonators bought tickets for the same flight all at the same time, but I don't see any likelihood that this would happen.

If it did happen; then I think they'd hold the kid back, rather than hold an adult ticket payer back.

#23 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:27 PM

But will they let men sit next to unaccompanied Koalas?  Especially that one who always said "I hate Quantas."
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#24 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:33 PM

You need to see it from their perspective. Men are statisticaly more likely to assult a child then women. Therefore, if you want to be extra safe you dont let men sit next to kids....

Mad, but there you go.

I think its a load of bull. If you never take risks you never learn. And cummon, who would really assult a child on a croweded aeroplane? Man or woman, it isnt likely to happen.

Though I must admit, I would rather sit next to a lass if I was flying on my own... but I was followed for ages by a man with a shotgun when I was walking in the woods once (I was 8 or 9) so I dont like being near unknown guys when am alone (he ended up jerking off behind a tree RIGHT near me *shudders*)

Its similar to a something that happened to a friend of mine. She is a 16 year old lesbian in the same youth organisation as me and she isnt allowed to be on her own with any of the girls! They assume she is going to try and rape them or something, despite the fact that the lads can do what they want.
Posted Image

#25 SilverNeonASH

SilverNeonASH
  • Islander
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:37 PM

sierraleone, on Nov 30 2005, 04:39 PM, said:

I think the policy is that women shouldn't sit beside unaccompanied children because they might embarrase the child, pinching their cheeks and cooing over them  :rolleyes:

At least the men will ignorn them, right? If they are decent men of course :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or they are assuming that women WON'T ignore them, and want to be a substitute "Mom". Since when, is it assumed, that, I care to be a nanny-goat? Sorry, folks, don't sit the brats next to me, either. I'll ignore them the same as the guys.

Edited by SilverNeonASH, 01 December 2005 - 12:38 PM.

#26 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:54 PM

Schmokie_Dragon, on Dec 1 2005, 12:33 PM, said:

You need to see it from their perspective. Men are statisticaly more likely to assult a child then women. Therefore, if you want to be extra safe you dont let men sit next to kids....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you imagine the response if it was a black person, and their reasoning was "statistically, black people are more likely to commit violent crimes"?

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#27 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 01:31 PM

Obviously. But for some reason there isnt going to be as much outcry over gender as opposed to race...

As I said, its all mad!
Posted Image

#28 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 02:07 PM

absurd! guess they dont want my money.
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#29 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 08:26 PM

Lin731, on Nov 30 2005, 07:13 PM, said:

Personally, I don't like the policy of allowing children to fly unaccompanied in the first place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me either, although if the child were a well-collected teen, I'd probably feel okay about it.

(And :eek4: Themis... my sympathies!)
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#30 Pallas

Pallas

Wicked--Like the Witch of the West

• Islander
  • 833 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 10:18 PM

In most cases of murder, assault and molestation, it's more statistically likely that it's a person you know, not random strangers.

This is patently absurd. It's incredibly sexist both ways (assuming a man is a pedophile and assuming women are motherly). I guess I'd like to see proof that men are (more) likely to assault children airplanes. I mean, is this an oft-occuring event that prompted this move? If it was pre-emptive then where did they get the assumption that this was something that need to be pre-empted?

Kal.
We can do noble acts without ruling the earth and sea--Aristotle

#31 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 07:36 PM

Its beaurocracy. They need to look like they are doing something in the face of rising crime (esp child molestation) rates, even if they are not directly affected. And it doest assume all men are pedophiles. It just makes a nice statistical safety net.
Posted Image

#32 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 07:55 PM

This type of social sickness has become more prevalent than you might think.

Here in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, unmarried, middle-aged men are automatically stigmatised by women as lechers, pedophiles, perverts, you name it.

I sort of became aware of this some years ago when a friend told me of a middle-aged friend who split with his wife who complained that he was automatically labelled, and a pariah.

My friend passed this along, with, he said, a grain of salt.

Last year my friend, who is now middle-aged, lost his wife to cancer, and now he tells everyone that everything his friend his told him was true, that unattached, middle-aged men are automatically branded as pariahs.

I've seen this behaviour in women myself, that the moment they see a middle-aged man, they round up the kids as though a leper had wandered into their midst.

Last summer, a friend of mine threw her slushie in the face of a bunch of girls who, upon seeing a balding older gentleman, started deriding him, right there in the street, calling him something like "a disgusting, bald old pervert". The gentleman in question was a gentelman. He's a retired engineer. He's also the father of my friend, and is a very nice person.

I've seen this reprehensible behaviour in a lot of younger women. I don't know what the source of it is, but it is becoming more prevalent all the time. I've always thought of it as a Saskatoon thing, but stories like this airline thing make me wonder if it's not just as prevalent in other places.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#33 Psyche

Psyche
  • Islander
  • 13,556 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 08:51 PM

^ I live in Kindersley, and I've noticed a lot of the same. We have a lot of 'rig pigs' around here though, and so if you in any way could look like a rigger, then sadly, you're labelled a rig pig. Also, some of the things that are said about one of our teachers (who's 45 and unmarried)... its stupid really. Just like saying all Native people are drunks. A stereotype which has absolutely no founding in reality.

#34 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:05 PM

I agree that middle-age single men are not inherenly pervs, and I refuse to treat any stranger as such.  From the standpoint of a 22 year old female, though, I know that most middle-age single men who talk to me get really slimy really quickly normally.  Unless I'm meeting them in some sort of professional capacity (and even then sometimes) I frequently get hit on in very rude or persistant ways.  Of course, the other group of guys that tends to do this are guys my own age, so it's really not limited to middle-age by any stretch of the imagination.  In fact, 20-somethings tend to do it more and tend to be less willing to take either direct or indirect rejection.  :glare:

Anyway, this Qantas policy is dumb.  I also don't want to get saddled with someone else's small child for the duration of my flight.  And why would a child be traveling by themselves anyway?
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#35 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:12 PM

Many times it's because of divorced parents who live in different areas of the country so the kid has to be shuttled back and forth between them.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#36 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:34 PM

gsmonks, on Dec 4 2005, 07:55 PM, said:

I've seen this reprehensible behaviour in a lot of younger women. I don't know what the source of it is, but it is becoming more prevalent all the time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's really not even about age. The anti-male thing is routine no matter what age the targets are. Just a few minutes ago on the way home from a concert, for example, I heard a woman on the radio talking about "things guys do that women hate" and "reasons why women hate men"... and without fail, every accusation was false, but making them anyway is just the in thing to do. It's what has become of what was once the "feminist" movement, in modern times. I'm convinced it's even partially behind the thing about girls & women acting so completely bonkers and flipped out over those few guys they've agreed to treat the opposite of the rest; going so far overboard and over the top with the adoration and praise of those few is just another way of slapping the rest in the face for existing...

Edited by Delvo, 04 December 2005 - 11:23 PM.

#37 Anastashia

Anastashia

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:18 PM

Delvo said:

I heard a woman on the radio talking about "things guys do that women hate" and "reasons why women hate men"... and without fail, every accusation was false,

So you're saying Delvo, that every thing the woman mentioned has never been done by any man? I highly doubt that is the case.

Delvo said:

I'm convinced it's even partially behind the thing about girls & women acting so completely bonkers and flipped out over those few guys they've to treat the opposite of the rest; going so far overboard and over the top with the adoration and praise of those few is just another way of slapping the rest in the face for existing...

What are you trying to say here, it makes no sense, specifically the bolded part.

Edited by Anastashia, 04 December 2005 - 11:20 PM.

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,

I will testify to love
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#38 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:33 PM

Anastashia, on Dec 4 2005, 11:18 PM, said:

So you're saying Delvo, that every thing the woman mentioned has never been done by any man?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, speaking of false accusations... :sarcasm:

Trying to shove such extremism into it distracts from the point. The complaints and accusations aren't about what some man somewhere did once upon a time, they're about what men supposedly do all the time. You can't use one standard to defend things that are said or done according to another standard. The possibility that there might once somewhere have been a cat that killed a baby does not justify the assertion that "cats kill babies" and the use of that assertion as an excuse to hate cats. The invalidity of that kind of "logic" has pretty much been the whole point of this Qantas thing from the start... strange how such invalid "reasoning" got negative reactions at first in that context but suddenly gets defended as perfectly alright when applied to sexism against men in general...

Anastashia, on Dec 4 2005, 11:18 PM, said:

What are you trying to say here, it makes no sense, specifically the bolded part.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A crucial verb got deleted. It's reparied now.

#39 Anastashia

Anastashia

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 12:10 AM

Delvo said:

they're about what men supposedly do all the time.

Ah, but that's not what you said above. You said

Delvo said:

without fail, every accusation was false
which implied that everything the woman said was a lie. You made no reference to her saying they do it all the time.

As to the other I'm still not clear as to what the men they've agreed to treat differently refers to. You need to tell me more about the context here for your statement to make sense to me.

For the record I agree that what Quantas is doing here is discriminatory.

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,

I will testify to love
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#40 eryn

eryn

So, a baby seal walks into a club...

• Islander
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:21 AM

Lin731, on Nov 30 2005, 12:13 PM, said:

Personally, I don't like the policy of allowing children to fly unaccompanied in the first place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's really not that bad. ;)

I flew as an unaccompanied minor quite a few times from the ages 10 to 13, after I turned 14 I was fine to fly on my own with only a "unassisted minor" title attached to my ticket (which basically meant I had to check in with a bunch of people along the way so they knew that I hadn't been kidnapped or anything). I can understand wariness if the child was younger than 6 or something but the airline people watch you like a hawk when you’re an unaccompanied minor, they don't want to be sued or anything for losing a kid.
If you watch the news and don't like it, then this is your counter program to the news.
Jon Stewart

My Flickr

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Culture, Sexism, Quantas, Bans Men, Discrimination

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users