Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Local Pearl Harbor Vet

Obituaries Pearl Harbor Vet 2005

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:54 PM

This article was in the Galveston Daily News about a local man who was at Pearl Harbor 64 years ago today.  He led an eventful existence during the war!

Galveston Daily News

The article's also a reminder that we're losing WWII vets regularly these days.  A generation of lions is leaving us.

Here's to all our vets.  Salute!

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:56 PM

I visited Pearl Harbor when I was in Hawai'i a few years back, and I have to say that it was a very emotional experience meeting some of the people who had served during that attack.

Amazingly tough situation to have been in.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:13 PM

I have to hang my head in shame as I completly forgot about this today until I saw the evening news. I wondered why the flag was at half staff at the LL Bean factory across the street as I was leaving work. Our flag was not.

I've kind of been disappointed in my workplace's recognition of these type of events, for instance nothing was really said about Veterans' Day, although they did at the last minute give it as a holiday which most of us were required to work (so we got more money).
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#4 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:19 PM

My mom's 85, soon-to-be 86, and this morning I reminded her it was Pearl Harbor Day. She started to reminisce and then stopped. "I don't want to remember that day."

It was truly a horrible one.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#5 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:20 PM

It is pretty sad that after those survivors are gone the events won't be remembered first hand, the lessonsed learned that day shouldn't be forgotten so easily.  :(
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#6 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:28 PM

^That's the saddest part of it all to me.  When they're all gone, we're gonna lose somethin' we'll never be able to reclaim.  My dad's step-dad was a WWII vet who fought in Southern France as a replacement.  He survived 16 days on the line before bein' MG'd and fragged while trying to take the far end of bridge on the Rhine-Rhone canal (based on my research after he died).  My father often laments the fact that he didn't ask his Pepaw any further about it.  Now, all that history is lost.  :(

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

#7 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:32 AM

Link*Salute*

Link to 2003's thread, still a good read.

Edited by D'Monix, 08 December 2005 - 12:57 AM.

#8 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 01:53 PM

When we moved to Pearl Harbor in 1960, the aftermath of the attack was everywhere. The monument was finished while we were living there (I think construction actually began in '60), but seeing the actual debris was far more moving.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#9 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:47 PM

I would like to visit Pearl one of these days.  I got the opportunity to visit Manassas, Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry, and Sharpsburg while I was living outside D.C. a few years ago.  There's so many place I'd like to see that are sacred, if you will.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Pearl Harbor Vet, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users