Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Should lifestyle determine medical entitlement?

Health Care Life style choices 2005

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 rponiarski

rponiarski

Still crazy after all these years...

• Islander
  • 241 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:14 PM

Rhea, on Dec 12 2005, 04:03 PM, said:

I suspect that leaves you where all good doctors are - doing your job to the best of your ability regardless of circumstances.There are few people I admire more than good doctors. I've never known a good one who wouldn't treat a person regardless of their ability to pay. I suppose it's a matter of ideals, which are sometimes in short supply these days, but which I profoundly hope never goes out of fashion among doctors.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope so too, but I am not too sure anymore. The more that medicine becomes a "business", with care measured via the bottom line and not by helping the patient, the more we become "providers" and not doctors. And the new doctors are coming along and don't know any better, more is the pity... :(

Oh, and thanks for the compliment, I truly appreciate it. :satisfied:  Being a good doctor is all I really try to do, along with a good father and husband. Can't ask for much more out of life...
Richard M. Poniarski
Everyone is entitled to live in the reality of their own choosing...

#42 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:20 PM

I pay my taxes.

You know, I actualy hadnt thought of that! I quess we all, indirectly, pay for out health care. Why should our money go on other people and not us? I guess if you ARE going to use this policy, then people who arnt treated shouldnt have to pay as much tax. But that will never work.
Posted Image

#43 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:18 AM

Schmokie_Dragon, on Dec 12 2005, 07:20 PM, said:

I pay my taxes.

You know, I actualy hadnt thought of that! I quess we all, indirectly, pay for out health care. Why should our money go on other people and not us? I guess if you ARE going to use this policy, then people who arnt treated shouldnt have to pay as much tax. But that will never work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I paid taxes while I was employed...

Are you going to apply this to someone that genuinely needs help?

Myself, I would prefer a job to the uncertainity I am facing. And because I have to get Public assistance, I don't get child support... So I work for free under the Community Service requirement, plus my child support goes into paying for my public assistance every month, which is effectively 1/2 of what I was earning...

Edited by Natolii, 13 December 2005 - 12:19 AM.

"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#44 Chakotay

Chakotay

For gosh sakes let me out of here!

• Islander
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 01:46 AM

The UK needs more doctors, and nurses of course.

Maybe the US medical profession should consider coming here and working for the NHS on a contract/salary rather than our medicos going to the States to get the big bucks there. If prising the fees out of the patient is such hard work sometimes, surely it could be an option?
  No plan survives first contact with the enemy - military axiom.

#45 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 03:03 AM

Are you going to apply this to someone that genuinely needs help?

Oh, I have no qualms about my money helping others, as long as it can help me too. I basicly dont like the idea of being forced to pay taxes and then being denied treatment. Erg, someone gets my money, not me AT ALL
Posted Image

#46 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:05 AM

Chakotay, on Dec 13 2005, 02:46 AM, said:

The UK needs more doctors, and nurses of course.

Maybe the US medical profession should consider coming here and working for the NHS on a contract/salary rather than our medicos going to the States to get the big bucks there. If prising the fees out of the patient is such hard work sometimes, surely it could be an option?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Big bucks?

Only if you are in Beverly Hills.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#47 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:51 PM

Well, the US is having more of an issue with doctors than they want to admit.  Most doctors work in research and don't practice, so if you're just given the number of doctors here it's a rather skewed number.  Many are leaving because they don't want to get sued or their malpactice insurance is so high.  Here in Ohio we're having a real shortage of OB/GYN because the laws are so frustating and doctors are getting sued so much over things they couldn't help (sorry, but if you're child is born with fetal alcohol syndrome or something similar it is NOT your doctors fault!!!  They also can't help most birth defects or some types of birth trauma).

Also, a lot of people look at the salary docs here bring in, but they fail to look at either the hours those docs are working or the amount that gets taken out in malpractice insurance.  Also, medicare and medicaide are so bad that doctors lose money every time they treat one of those patients.  That's right - the doctors is effectivly paying to treat someone.

Personally, I hate that medicine is becoming a business.  It seems here that wealth determines medical entitlement half the time, which is simply wrong.  If I get into medical school, I fully well intend to donate some of my time providing medicine to people who can't afford it.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#48 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 04:21 PM

as I said, i pay my taxes and I don't have self inflicted injuries...why should I not get the service I pay for?

on a side note, apparently malnutrition costs the UK twice what obesity costs.

http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/4524690.stm
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#49 rponiarski

rponiarski

Still crazy after all these years...

• Islander
  • 241 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 05:59 PM

Chakotay, on Dec 13 2005, 02:46 AM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know how hard it is to get a medical license in another country? Heck, try to get a medical license in California or Florida!  :angry: They make it so hard to work there, that people don't bother anymore. Especially true of "international" graduates, even from EU member states.

Make it so that a doctor can practice anywhere they want and I think you'll find less of a shortage just about everywhere...
Richard M. Poniarski
Everyone is entitled to live in the reality of their own choosing...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health Care, Life style choices, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users