5 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:35 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...HNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Former Minnesota Sen. Eugene J. McCarthy, whose insurgent campaign toppled a sitting president in 1968 and forced the Democratic Party to take seriously his message against the Vietnam War, died Saturday. He was 89.

McCarthy died in his sleep at assisted living home in the Georgetown neighborhood where he had lived for the past few years, said his son, Michael.

Eugene McCarthy challenged President Lyndon B. Johnson for the 1968 Democratic nomination during growing debate over the Vietnam War. The challenge led to Johnson's withdrawal from the race.

The former college professor, who ran for president five times in all, was in some ways an atypical politician, a man with a witty, erudite speaking style who wrote poetry in his spare time and was the author of several books.

"He was thoughtful and he was principled and he was compassionate and he had a good sense of humor," his son said.

When Eugene McCarthy ran for president in 1992, he explained his decision to leave the seclusion of his home in rural Woodville, Va., for the campaign trail by quoting Plutarch, the ancient Greek historian: "They are wrong who think that politics is like an ocean voyage or military campaign, something to be done with some particular end in view."

McCarthy got less than 1 percent of the vote in 1992 in New Hampshire, the state where he helped change history 24 years earlier.

Helped by his legion of idealistic young volunteers known as "clean-for-Gene kids," McCarthy got 42 percent of the vote in the state's 1968 Democratic primary. That showing embarrassed Johnson into withdrawing from the race and throwing his support to his vice president, Hubert H. Humphrey.

Sen. Robert Kennedy of New York also decided to seek the nomination, but was assassinated in June 1968. McCarthy and his followers went to the party convention in Chicago, where fellow Minnesotan Humphrey won the nomination amid bitter strife both on the convention floor and in the streets.

He was a firecracker. :down:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 07:55 PM

means nowt to me but RIP anyhoo.
Posted Image

#3 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:01 AM

One could say the end of an era...

RIP sir.

Blessed Be
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#4 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:23 AM

Rest in peace, Gene.  

I'll never forget driving down the 101 and pulling up behind a VW bug with "Another Nixon for McCarthy" spray painted on the back.  We pulled around to pass, and sure enough it was our friend George from Humboldt State College.  :)  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 rponiarski

rponiarski

Still crazy after all these years...

• Islander
  • 241 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:54 PM

I remember how McCarthy's campaign attracted a lot of attention and how the election of 1968 changed due to his influence. Humphrey was too identified with Johnson and the Chicago convention and with RFK gone there was nothing left to hope for. My first presidential election was 1972, but I will never forget McCarthy and the idealism of the time. RIP...
Richard M. Poniarski
Everyone is entitled to live in the reality of their own choosing...

#6 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:55 PM

He changed history. What a remarkable man, not for catering to popular opinion, but for following his own drummer always.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Sen. Eugene McCarthy, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users