• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 01:35 AM

Iím not a fan of the PRC or the governmentís policies but this incident is a tragedy.

The submarine was a Ming Class boat with the hull number 361. She was recovered on the surface adrift with the crew dead.  Speculation is going along the lines of two possible routes.  The first is that there may have been a leak of torpedo propellant that poisoned the crew.  The second line of speculation is that a weld sprang a leak or other water source leaked in the battery room and that created chlorine gas that was spread throughout the vessel.  She may have been running on the surface at the time but Iíd question that since none of the crew survived.  Iíd say it was more likely that she was snorting or running deeper.  The crew blew the tanks to try to reach the surface but the gas got them before the reached it.        

Not a pleasant way to go. :(

China says sub disaster killed 70

70 dead in China sub accident

An accident on a Chinese diesel-powered submarine killed all 70 sailors aboard, the government said overnight, in a rare admission of a military disaster.

The accident occurred "recently" in the Yellow Sea off China's northeast coast, the official Xinhua News Agency said in a brief report that didn't explain how the sailors died. It said the vessel had been towed back to an unidentified port.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 03 May 2003 - 01:45 AM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#2 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,140 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 01:42 AM

Very sad.
Can't Touch This!!

#3 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 02:41 AM

To give a feeling for just what the Chinese are dealing with, the Ming Type 035 boats are Chinese versions of the old Soviet Romeo class boats.  In turn the Romeo-class boats were based on the German Type XXI boats from 1944.  These boats are completely obsolete in terms of design, although the Chinese were building these as late as 1996.  (http://www.fas.org/m...w/plan/ming.htm)  

Soviet boats and Chinese boats were never known for their safety records and this certainly no exception.  Most likely the Chinese have suffered many such problems in the past that we have not heard about.  It is sad that these sailors had to die because of what probably amounts to the problems of a corrupt system of government and a lack of quality control.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#4 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 03:39 AM

Uncle Sid, on May 3 2003, 12:31 AM, said:

To give a feeling for just what the Chinese are dealing with, the Ming Type 035 boats are Chinese versions of the old Soviet Romeo class boats.

The Ming is a cleaned up Chinese variant of the Romeo. The diesels and sonar are both French with the pressure hull being a tad more streamlined.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 03 May 2003 - 03:39 AM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#5 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 04:52 AM

Hmm, what I got on these still has them using the Herkules and Feniks sonars that the Romeo would have used.  Are the French just carrying out licenced building of the old components or are the sonars totally new (in a relative sense)?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#6 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,498 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 05:28 AM

Aggh... damn. Poor guys. I hope this wasn't like KURSK, where people had to wonder for at least a week if there were any survivors. (With China's secrecy, we don't know how long they'd been missing before they were tracked down.) Being fascinated by submarines, I followed that disaster as closely as I could. (I also didn't think, after about 3 days, that anyone could've survived. Too bad I was right.)

If you like, I'll editorialize by remarking that I'm no fan of the PRC, either, but I do respect submariners of whatever nation.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#7 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 06:38 AM

What a terrible loss.

Ro

#8 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 06:39 AM

:(
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. ß 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#9 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 08:43 AM

This is a tragic loss, and my thoughts are with the families of the crew.
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#10 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 01:25 PM

It is so sad, what ever nation they may be, to lose a crew ...my heart goes out to their families.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users