5 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 06:41 PM

http://www.voanews.c...A16BAC656EAFB63

U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell says Syria has begun closing offices of anti-Israel groups, but Washington expects the Damascus government to take more action against militants.

Mr. Powell also said Washington has no intention of military action against Syria. He added that a comprehensive peace includes a Lebanon free of all foreign forces, a reference to the 20,000 Syrian troops in Lebanon.

Edited by Certifiably Cait, 26 August 2012 - 03:03 PM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 11:15 PM

So maybe Syria is scared? What happens when we pull out of Iraq. I'm sure my friends wife would like to see him get home soon, they were married about two months before he was called up.
Can't Touch This!!

#3 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 11:40 PM

Javert Rovinski, on May 3 2003, 07:31 PM, said:

U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell says Syria has begun closing offices of anti-Israel groups, but Washington expects the Damascus government to take more action against militants.
Now, THAT is out of context  :o

It is clearly written:

Secretary Powell said the Syrians assured him earlier in the day during his meetings in Damascus that they had closed the offices of some anti-Israeli groups.

That was Saturday. My TV said last night that Isralei claims that NOTHING was done were confirmed by American agencies.
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#4 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 12:09 AM

Anything that gets Syrian troops out of Lebanon and stops Assad from interfering in Lebanese politics is a good thing, IMHO.

Zack
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#5 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 12:46 AM

Kosh: So maybe Syria is scared? What happens when we pull out of Iraq.

We see to it that the free and democratic government of Iraq is capable of defending itself through military means.  Secondly we remind Syria that the club is still around and US forces can always return for a second round.  

Zack: Anything that gets Syrian troops out of Lebanon and stops Assad from interfering in Lebanese politics is a good thing, IMHO. 

Agreed.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#6 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 12:55 AM

Zack: "interfering in Lebanese politics" huh? That's an understatement ;)

American envoy William Burns briefed Sharon, Shalom and Mofaz on Sunday about the talks held in Damascus by Colin Powell, including Assad's promises to close the offices of terrorist organizations and withdraw from Lebanon. "Is there a timetable?" Mofaz asked. Burns reply was "No."

http://www.haaretz.c...sID=0&listSrc=Y

I don't think they mean it, they just want to get the US off their back. Under other circumstances a Israeli government could use this opportunity to strive for peace, but this is Sharon we're talking about... I'm afraid he'll help it melt down

Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom will reassess the possibility of restarting talks with Syria in another month, once it becomes clear "where the Syrians stand" in the regional and international arena, the Prime Minister's Office said yesterday.

http://www.haaretz.c...sID=0&listSrc=Y

:(

Enmar
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: State Department, Colin Powell, Syria

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users