Bush Administration NSA Domestic Spying Post-9/11

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:31 PM

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you...

http://www.cnn.com/2...a.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- President Bush authorized the National Security Agency to eavesdrop on Americans and others inside the United States -- without getting search warrants -- following the Sept. 11 attacks, The New York Times reports.

The presidential order, which Bush signed in 2002, has allowed the agency to monitor the international phone calls and international e-mails of hundreds, and perhaps thousands, of people inside the United States, according to a story posted Thursday on the Times' Web site

Kind of a scary thing.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:25 PM

And who wants to bet that his crony's in goverment let him get away with it.

I'm so very glad i'm not american right now.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:28 PM

I am more dismayed than I can express that the Bush administration decided that the war on terror somehow allowed them to ignore the law in the name of hunting down terrorists.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#4 Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster

There's no Shepard without Vakarian

• Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:41 PM

Godeskian, on Dec 16 2005, 07:25 PM, said:

And who wants to bet that his crony's in goverment let him get away with it.

I'm so very glad i'm not american right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You think MI5 isn't keeping tabs on you?  :ninja:
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

#5 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:46 PM

Talkie Toaster, on Dec 16 2005, 08:41 PM, said:

You think MI5 isn't keeping tabs on you?  :ninja:

Then I assume that whomever is in charge of watching me must have comitted the mother of all gaffes to be landed with that boring an assignment.   :cool:

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#6 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:14 PM

Why am I not surprised?

And Gode, that's what happens if you and dad keep talking about al-jazeera, that could be counted as supporting terrorism or whatnot ;)
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#7 Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster

There's no Shepard without Vakarian

• Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 05:28 PM

Godeskian, on Dec 16 2005, 07:46 PM, said:

Then I assume that whomever is in charge of watching me must have comitted the mother of all gaffes to be landed with that boring an assignment.   :cool:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed. I wonder what poor sod has been landed the assignment of analysing the rubbish I spew out on the net...
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

#8 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 05:30 PM

Talkie Toaster, on Dec 16 2005, 11:28 PM, said:

Godeskian, on Dec 16 2005, 07:46 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed. I wonder what poor sod has been landed the assignment of analysing the rubbish I spew out on the net...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hopefully your schmo and mine know each other. Gives them a common experience to commiserate over :cool:

Defy Gravity!

#9 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:15 PM

Just heard on CNN that the government is eavesdropping on "as many as five hundred" people in America at any given time.

:Oo:

And I'd bet that some are anti-war protestors and designated "political enemies." Just guessing, but it wouldn't surprise me.

This administration out-Nixons Nixon in a lot of ways.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#10 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:38 PM

Godeskian, on Dec 16 2005, 02:46 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe you got lucky and your spotter looks like Jenny Agutter.  :love:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#11 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:38 PM

NBC had a report on a secret Pentagon database which identified a Quaker meeting house as a threat to US troops.  In that Quakers are pacifists, I wouldn't classify them as pro-military, but a threat?!?  :angry:

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#12 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:41 PM

Will someone please give Bush a b***job so they can start impeachment hearings already?  Since shredding the Constitution doesn't seem to qualify, that is...
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#13 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:41 PM

Cardie, on Dec 16 2005, 11:38 PM, said:

NBC had a report on a secret Pentagon database which identified a Quaker meeting house as a threat to US troops.  In that Quakers are pacifists, I wouldn't classify them as pro-military, but a threat?!?  :angry:

Cardie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's all that oatmeal, it's insidious.  :o
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#14 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:59 AM

Zwolf666, on Dec 16 2005, 10:31 AM, said:

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you...

http://www.cnn.com/2...a.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- President Bush authorized the National Security Agency to eavesdrop on Americans and others inside the United States -- without getting search warrants -- following the Sept. 11 attacks, The New York Times reports.

The presidential order, which Bush signed in 2002, has allowed the agency to monitor the international phone calls and international e-mails of hundreds, and perhaps thousands, of people inside the United States, according to a story posted Thursday on the Times' Web site

Kind of a scary thing.

Cheers,

Zwolf

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jeez, now that is REALLY Orwellian!
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#15 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 06:12 AM

Arlen Specter isn't very happy about this. He says the Judiciary Committee will investigate it, pronto.

http://news.yahoo.co..._pr_wh/bush_nsa

"I want to know precisely what they did," said Specter. "How NSA utilized their technical equipment, whose conversations they overheard, how many conversations they overheard, what they did with the material, what purported justification there was."

Edited by Spectacles, 17 December 2005 - 06:15 AM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#16 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 10:30 AM

Hey I say if they're going to do this then we the people should be allowed to put a bug in the Oval Office (wouldn't that have been fun during Clinton's time) and at the Pentagon-I bet we'd find out who the leaker was! :devil:

So true that they are outdoing Nixon here.  What an accomplishment! :glare:

The true fact is that the terrorist of 911 would not have been found out through domestic spying. :suspect:

This is just an excuse to listen in and find out who agrees with you and who doesn't. :angry:

Edited by Hibblette, 17 December 2005 - 10:31 AM.

"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#17 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:19 PM

The true fact is that the terrorist of 911 would not have been found out through domestic spying.

No, that is not a fact in any way shape or form but an opinion. Considering how long the September 11th highjackers operated in the US and who they were relying on for contacts domestic surviellance would probably have helped find them and it would have definitely been of use but that has little bearing on the movement of the mandate from terrorists organizations and affilaites to antiwar groups and the like.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#18 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:58 PM

Domestic surveillance--though not of the Patriot Act variety-- did find some of them.  Unfortunately, the intel got blown off, since "no once could have imagined terrorists would have used airplanes as missiles."

Edited by waterpanther, 17 December 2005 - 03:58 PM.

Posted Image

#19 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:05 PM

MuseZack, on Dec 16 2005, 08:41 PM, said:

Will someone please give Bush a b***job so they can start impeachment hearings already?  Since shredding the Constitution doesn't seem to qualify, that is...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Better make it a guy.  :sarcasm:  :sarcasm:  :sarcasm:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#20 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:06 PM

Can I ask?

Isn't it illegal to spy on US citizens without a court order?

Defy Gravity!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bush Administration, NSA, Domestic Spying, Post-9/11

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users