• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 11:19 PM

Occasionally, there's a story that just makes you smile.

http://www.time.com/...,449436,00.html

Hunger pains can apparently turn even the most upstanding diplomat into a looter. At noon on Friday, food workers at the U.N. headquarters walked off their jobs, calling a wildcat strike. The result: none of the U.N.'s five restaurants and bars was staffed. The walkout left thousands of U.N. employees scrounging for lunch — eventually, the masses stripped the cafeterias of everything, including the silverware

An Aramark executive estimated the food "removed" from the U.N.'s main cafeteria at between $7,000 and $9,000 not including the staff restaurant, the Viennese Café or the Delegate's Bar. The value of the missing silverware has yet to be estimated.

Come Monday, the workers should be back at their stations. The dispute has been temporarily resolved with the Union agreeing that the vacation pay remains RA's responsibility. The Union also wasn't willing to risk Aramark's only option of replacing all the workers

Read the whole article.... this is hysterical. Thankfully, nobody was hurt. Centcom is supposed to release a statement about why the US military wasn't able to stop the looting. ;)
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 11:30 PM

Hysterical.

Not so hysterical is the prospect of the restaurant workers getting caught in the middle of  nastiness about obligations of the new contractors vs the old ones regarding vacation pay.

Cheap sonsabitches.

Ro

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 11:32 PM

^

Yeah, the labour situation is serious.

The UN getting looted by its own diplomats is inherently hilarious.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 11:34 PM

Javert Rovinski, on May 3 2003, 04:22 PM, said:

The UN getting looted by its own diplomats is inherently hilarious.
Agreed.

High ground, anyone?  The low marshes are getting kind of crowded.  :p

Ro

#5 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 12:04 AM

Words cannot describe this...

Actually, "International food fight" works pretty well...

Maybe that's the new paradigm for solving disputes. Have a "Double-Dare" style grappling match with the green slime and food fights.

I'm waiting to see how the US was at fault for this, 'cause it's guaranteed we're gonna get blamed. ;)

*hides at the Swiss table*
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#6 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 12:08 AM

jon3831, on May 3 2003, 09:54 PM, said:

I'm waiting to see how the US was at fault for this, 'cause it's guaranteed we're gonna get blamed. ;)
Darn we should have sent in the NYNG to secure the building and declared martial law in it.  :lol:
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#7 Bossy

Bossy

Chaos Personified

• Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 01:06 AM

That is quite hilarious. Its also fairly pathetic.

What I would like to know though is if the UN is going to pay repairations to Aramark.

Bossy

Kryptonite, silver bullet, Buffy? Dammit, what does it take to keep you in the grave? - John to Scorpy

And what the hell is Succubitch doing here? - Lorne

Captain, your presence here has not been overly meddlesome. - Ambassador Soval

.... it'll only induce me to acts of eloquence and mayhem. - Hawk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: United Nations, UN Headquarters, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users