54 replies to this topic

#1 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:32 AM

http://www.local6.co...588/detail.html

A 7-year-old girl with an extreme allergy to peanut butter was hospitalized for two days after she was allegedly attacked on a St. Louis school bus by a boy with a peanut butter cracker, according to a Local 6 News report.

I have no words. Children can sometimes be meaner than adults.

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:43 AM

that's just weird.....

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:05 AM

I don't know if the boy believed she was allergic to peanuts or not but deliberately shoving something in a person's face when you've been told they have an allergy to something is not right.

My aunt has asthma and almost died from it when I was little, I have little to no tolerance for people who tease others because of their medical conditions.

#4 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:30 AM

The school bus is an evil, dangerous, scary place.  The fact that a kid would do this is horrible.  

I seriously think I would be a much different, more confident, happier person today if I never had to ride the school bus.  20+ kids riding a bus with one adult, who also has to concentrate on driving as well as discipline?  Who ever thought this was a good idea?

***Is easily distracted***

#5 Enkanowen

Enkanowen
  • Islander
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:32 AM

If they are on the same school bus he would probably know. If the allergy is extreme, nevermind he totally did know:

Arionna Lunceford said a boy was harassing her on the school bus about her allergy to peanut butter and then shoved a peanut butter cracker in her face and then dropped pieces of it on her head.

That's sick. Our society is ill from the roots up and no one seems to want to look at it.

#6 Cyncie

Cyncie

Cool Daddio!

• Islander
  • 689 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:58 AM

That sort of thing happens all the time, I'd guess. I have pollen allergies and like a lot of kids couldn't play outside during high pollen seasons. One day, neighborhood kids rang the doorbell and asked for me, then when I got to the door shoved a bunch of ragweed into my face. When my mom lit into them, they just said they thought it would be funny.

I don't think kids realize how serious allergies can be. At the least they're uncomfortable, at the most they can be deadly.

~Cyn

Goodnight, Sweetheart
Well, it's time to go...

#7 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:15 AM

Kids should be more educated in what allergies can do to a body, maybe then they wouldn't be so quick to try to be *funny*.

This is a case of would he have thought it was funny if the situation were reversed?

#8 JchaosRS

JchaosRS

Ordered Chaos

• Islander
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:02 PM

Rhiannonjk, on Dec 19 2005, 07:30 AM, said:

The school bus is an evil, dangerous, scary place.  The fact that a kid would do this is horrible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats a bit extreame isn't it?
Will be eternally Rommie's Slave
Jays Music Videos | Jeremy Farnum | LexaFans

#9 Psyche

Psyche
  • Islander
  • 13,556 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:35 PM

I'm so glad I live(d) within walking distance of school, no matter how many winters I complained about walking...

I don't know about other schools, but we were taught right from grade one what happens to people with allergies (of course, in words out still developing minds could understand, ex. "Some people can die from being near peanuts.")

#10 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:44 PM

I couldnt see anything to indicate the age of the boy. If he was 7 or under it is higly likely that the implcations of a peanut allergy were lost on him.
If I said I didnt like red, and someone waved a red jumper at me, would that be cruel? maybe. Life threatening? no. For the boy (assuming he was her age or younger) it may well have been a very similar situation. Was he to know he could have killed her?

Children, esp younglings, are cruel. Even if they are well brought up, once outside the confines of their home, can still *indulge* in cruelty. Its a natural survival instinct, to eliminate competition.

What happened was awful. And the child MUST be taught that such behavior is completly unacceptable. But lets not pretend that such behaviour from small children is unusual.

But obviously if he was older he will have known what he was doing. In that case, bring on the discapline.
Posted Image

#11 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:14 PM

Rommies Slave, on Dec 19 2005, 02:02 PM, said:

Rhiannonjk, on Dec 19 2005, 07:30 AM, said:

The school bus is an evil, dangerous, scary place.† The fact that a kid would do this is horrible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats a bit extreame isn't it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From my own personal experiences, no.  

I didn't have to ride the bus until I was eleven (I could walk to elementary school) because of stuff that I was exposed to on the bus, I eventually got into a fight at school (I would have never met some of the people if I hadn't had to ride the bus), was constantly ridiculed (not for anything in particular, but in general, the thugs on my bus knew that I was jumpy) I witnessed 12 and 13 year olds smoking (something that otherwise, I wasn't around until I was in high school) and I was smacked in the face by a boy (who I then smacked back, and when we were brought in front of the principal nobody else on the bus admitted to having seen him smack me first).  

It is a place where you put 20-30 kids, with one adult who can't give them their undivided attention.  You are more likely to have kids on a bus that are completely neglected by their parents (I am in no way saying that all kids on a bus are neglected by their parents) and have no discipline at home - again, I'm not saying that all bus riders are that way, but a student that fits that description will most likely be on a bus.  

When forced to ride the bus I was suddenly around a totally different group than I would have chosen to be around on my own.  I was seriously traumatized by what happened to me while riding the bus, and do believe that some social issues I have to this day can be linked to the experiences I had on the bus.  I know my experience is my own, but I still hold to it that 20-30 kids with one adult that has to also drive, is not a good situation.

Edited by Rhiannonjk, 19 December 2005 - 03:15 PM.

***Is easily distracted***

#12 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:30 PM

the child that attacked her is a prick
Goodbye.

#13 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:21 PM

well duh lol ;)

I have ridden the school bus for 9 years. I was bullied the first 3 years; they made me give them food and money, I was slapped, I was subjected to sick sexual jokes etc. I lived with it. I slapped back. I bitched. I am not a confident person, I am scared of social encounters but I coped.

For some schools, school buses are a silly idea when considering the welfare of the students (those schools with particularly rebellious or unruly students). But as far as cheap and efficient transport goes, it is a perfectly acceptable method of transportation.

This is unfortunate, but luckily she was not seriously hurt.

And to all who have been bulllied, that too is unfortunate. But we dont stop taking risks for fear of the consiquences. We simply strive to eliminate the factor which makes them risky.
Posted Image

#14 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:39 PM

You call being in the hospital two days not seriously hurt?

#15 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:44 PM

The bus trip too and from school was the most traumatic part of my day when I was in high school. When I went from grade school to high school my grandfather stopped taking me to school every day and I had to ride the bus. I was so very glad when I got my learner's permit and driver's liscence and could start driving myself to school. Finally the hours of taunting, horrific sexual comments and the occasional physical attack stopped. It was one of the worst parts of a pretty bad time in my life.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#16 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,487 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:11 PM

Hunh ... I've ridden the schoolbus, at least until I memorized how to walk the distance, except when it approached 2 miles to get to high school, and I never had those problems ...

Of course I was sitting right behind the driver (that's where the heater was, otherwise the bus was unheated) and that might've had something to do with it.

But generally speaking, the schoolbus is that window of opportunity for kids when they are, for the most part, away from adult supervision.  As for kids being cruel, well, yeah, then the code of the school yard comes in "don't tell about wrongdoing, et al," which leads to instances such as this where one child puts another into the hospital ("gee, I was only funnin'," says he).  I don't know, sometimes corporal punishment is called for, cause this is something that an apology simply will not suffice.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#17 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:17 PM

I had to ride the bus in High School.

Now given that I was cursed with an over-ample Chest, needless to say I hated it...

My mom found out about it and lit into the Superintendent-Director. Never piss her off.

I was the school loner... the outcast.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#18 Enkephalen

Enkephalen

Peekaboo Poster

• Islander
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:10 PM

I guess I grew up in a different time as I never encountered, nor witnessed, any bullying or fights on the bus.  It just wasn't done.  But, I grew up in a small town where everyone knew what you were doing, and your parents found out about it before you got home.  So, for the most part, everyone behaved and looked out for one another.  We had a boy in our class (off and on due to multiple surgeries), who had been in a house fire and was badly burned.  No one every gave him a hard time, nor would they dare, because the rest of the kids would have stepped in to stop it.  As I said, it was another time.
Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.

#19 JchaosRS

JchaosRS

Ordered Chaos

• Islander
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:37 PM

I must admit I never had any trouble on the bus, but I was bigger than most of the kids in my age group and I was friends with many of the older kids so I had friends to back me up. I did witness bullying on the bus but my friends and I usually stepped in to prevent it.

Fast forward several years later, the school district has required that video cameras be present on all of the buses and if anything happens the students receive a referral. There is rarely any incident on the buses as a result; most of the problems are kids throwing stuff out of the windows. I have a few friends that drive buses and they tell me that the high school kids are the worst. Iím not really sure why.
Will be eternally Rommie's Slave
Jays Music Videos | Jeremy Farnum | LexaFans

#20 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:40 AM

Chatterbox - I was assuming seriously hurt as being on life support/ on deaths door. But then again I do classify things quite strongly. I was in hopsital for two days once with a suspected fracture.... and I wasnt even actualy broken. So timescale can be irrelevant.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Missouri, School Bus, Harassment, St. Louis, 6-yr. old girl

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users