54 replies to this topic

#41 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:44 PM

Most often, you aren't even allowed to change seats on a school bus

Slightly off topic, but really? Every bus I have ever been on there has been complete freedom. If you dont like someone, dont sit next to them. And if you are sly, you can even change seats during the journey.

Amusingly, I was once accused of bullying on a school bus. Some lads my age were picking on a mate of mine, trying to get her to move seats, give them her snack etc. I went over (the bus wasnt even in motion!) and told them to lay off. They shoved me, I shoved back, the bus driver came over and accused me of being a "larger lout" and I was reported to the headmistress! Talk about unfair (and no, the lads did not get punished... I should have "ignored them" and "boys will be boys")
Posted Image

#42 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:13 PM

Cyncie, on Dec 19 2005, 06:58 AM, said:

I don't think kids realize how serious allergies can be. At the least they're uncomfortable, at the most they can be deadly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You would think surgeons would, though, wouldn't you?  I am allergic to epinephrine, and sweat bullets every time I see my dentist.  I have learned the hard way that nobody bothers to read the allergy warnings on my file, so I do a good bit of reminding whenever I need work done.  

Last time, and I sincerely do mean the last time, I was treated at the General Surgery Clinic, the nurse pointed out to the surgeon, who had a tiny, tiny incision to make, that I needed the nonepinephrine anesthetic, and he ordered her to give me the standard one anyway.  Ordered her!  She did, and I realized immediately what had happened.  So there I was, having minor, minor, minor surgery, in tears, facing weeks of recovery, with a lout of an insensitive b*st*rd of a surgeon blithely explaining to one of the residents that my needs did not matter.  Fortunately, there was another resident, and his father was a dentist, so he looked up the exact form and dosage I'd been given and supplied me with the information.  I sobbed and sobbed, and went straight to the patient advocate as soon as I had the completely unnecessary stitch, which the insensitive b*ast*rd had the first resident put in just for practice, VA hospitals being teaching hospitals.  :suspect:  

Anyway, my point is that some nasty little kids who don't give a crap about others grow up to be nasty little surgeons, who still don't give a crap about others.  :angry:     But at least all my minor surgery is now done in the Dermatology Clinic.  In fact, I'm recovering nicely from the latest, done the day before yesterday.  :)  No allergy reactions, not much pain, no stitches!  :cool:

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#43 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:19 PM

Cheile, on Dec 21 2005, 12:26 PM, said:

when i was in second grade, i had a stupid @$%@# of a bus driver who gave me a bus ticket for yelling at kids trying to take my jacket away--in December.  i was told by this moron that i should have "ignored them".  :sarcasm:
{{{{{{{Cheile}}}}}}}  What a jerk!  "Ignore them" indeed!  The moron was ignoring not only bullying, but attempted theft.  :angry:  

whether or not i have kids, i will always agree with instituting no tolerance rules at schools for bullying.  this would include school buses.  i get really tired of the "it's part of childhood" crap.  it should not be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It should not be part of childhood, and no child should be required to endure it.  :angry:  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#44 veganmom

veganmom
  • Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:20 PM

One more comment about peanut allergies. Majorly politically incorect, but I saw it when I worked in a day care.

Kids in day care at a very young age, sent with PBJs for lunch EVERY SINGLE DAY because "that's all they'll eat."

PBJ is cheap, easy, sweet, relatively nutritious, doesn't spoil...but every single day for a kid under 2? No wonder peanut allergies are skyrocketing.

The good news is I remember reading that a substantial portion of kids outgrow the allergy by about 8 or 10 years old.

#45 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:28 PM

Schmokie_Dragon, on Dec 22 2005, 05:44 PM, said:

Most often, you aren't even allowed to change seats on a school bus

Slightly off topic, but really? Every bus I have ever been on there has been complete freedom. If you dont like someone, dont sit next to them. And if you are sly, you can even change seats during the journey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sorry, I just noticed this - but at least once the bus is in motion, I remember many bus drivers havign the rule that you aren't allowed to be out of the seat - therefore you can't change seats.  
when things got to a certain extreme, there were even assigned seats.

***Is easily distracted***

#46 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:30 PM

What is PBJ - PeanutButterJelly/Jam?

Having just spoken to the resident doctor, I was assured that over exposure cannot cause an allergy unless the allergy is already present. At which point it is a trigger (which would be encountered some point in the kids life anyway), not a cause.

many bus drivers havign the rule that you aren't allowed to be out of the seat - therefore you can't change seats.

Thats an obvious safety rule. My bus drivers always employ it. But I never listened to it, and I certainly was never scared of the drivers wrath should I be caught.

Edited by Schmokie_Dragon, 28 December 2005 - 04:32 PM.

Posted Image

#47 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:14 PM

Rhiannonjk, on Dec 19 2005, 09:30 AM, said:

The school bus is an evil, dangerous, scary place.  The fact that a kid would do this is horrible. 

I seriously think I would be a much different, more confident, happier person today if I never had to ride the school bus.  20+ kids riding a bus with one adult, who also has to concentrate on driving as well as discipline?  Who ever thought this was a good idea?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

~.~ 20+? That would have been a dream to me, we had well over 3 kids to a seat when I rode the bus, way, way, way back when. :)
When my son started school, I took him because I well remember the horrors of riding the bus. Not so bad before the new rule that we all had to be seated before the bus could move, but after that, it was hell. I was last one on and practically had to sit on a kid so the bus would move. This seemed to lead to anger and agression, it was not long before our bus became a nightmare. By the time I reached high school, I was walking the two miles to school, rain, snow, didn't matter.
The only time I rode the bus in all those years was the one day my mother happened to stay home from work. Some 'boy' decided to try something with me and I popped him. Luckily for me, my bus driver knew me and the boy, so I was not reprimanded, but he was.

As for that little girl, I will agree that the age of the boy can make a difference in what he would have been able to understand, but after this happened his parents darn well should have educated him so he never did anything like that again. I would.

hey Nonny,

Never trust the doctors/nurses. No offense to any here, there are some that are very careful, but once you run into a few that aren't, you never trust another. One nurse decided I could wear a heart monitor even tho I had reminded her that I am allergic to plastic, latex, vinyl, etc... her response was that it was only 24 hours. 24 hours later the doctor in for mine (mine was off) was on the phone to that hospital chewing that nurse up one side and down the other (found out he also chewed out my doc for it, too). Me? I got a shot and meds and warnings and told to come back next day and... I was a mess.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#48 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:42 PM

Elara, on Dec 28 2005, 02:14 PM, said:

hey Nonny,

Never trust the doctors/nurses. No offense to any here, there are some that are very careful, but once you run into a few that aren't, you never trust another. One nurse decided I could wear a heart monitor even tho I had reminded her that I am allergic to plastic, latex, vinyl, etc... her response was that it was only 24 hours. 24 hours later the doctor in for mine (mine was off) was on the phone to that hospital chewing that nurse up one side and down the other (found out he also chewed out my doc for it, too). Me? I got a shot and meds and warnings and told to come back next day and... I was a mess.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think mostly the nurses in particular are overworked these days. Most hospitals are chronically understaffed (at least in my area). I have a tape allergy and I've been dinged more than once by medical personnel not paying attention. When I had my shoulder surgery, even though I told them for the umpteenth time, they forgot and within 24 hours I had hives like you wouldn't believe all under my arm and over my boobs and back. Not fun.

Thank God my back surgeon is a stickler for detail and made them use paper tape, because I can't imagine waking up from a 10-hour surgery in excruciating pain AND itching yourself at the same time.  :eek:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#49 Elara

Elara

• Watchdog
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 06:06 PM

hi Rhea,
I agree that many are over worked, but when you have just reminded someone and they still do whatever, that's incompetence. And, as bad as my allergy has gotten, it's my life they are playing with.

I have to have paper as well because of my allergies, but more often than not, someone will put a plastic bandage on me.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#50 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:25 AM

Try being the family that had to learn your mother coded and passed on from the Coroners Office, instead of the hospital she was admitted to. This happened over New Years to a mod on one of the other sites I frequent.

We've advised her to find out who dropped the ball and run it up the flag pole...

:angry:
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#51 Elara

Elara

• Watchdog
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 07:32 PM

View PostNatolii, on Jan 2 2006, 09:25 AM, said:

Try being the family that had to learn your mother coded and passed on from the Coroners Office, instead of the hospital she was admitted to. This happened over New Years to a mod on one of the other sites I frequent.

We've advised her to find out who dropped the ball and run it up the flag pole...

:angry:

~.~ I don't know, at least someone ...told... her. I learned of my dad's passing when the doctor was at our house and while trying to offer some comforting words to my mother said: "At least he felt no pain."
There's a shock for a 14 yr. old.

I guess we have to accept that they are human with human failings. Which is why I always double check what they are gonna do to me. :)
El

#52 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:02 AM

Any nurse that claims you should put up with latex when you have a known allergy to it because "it will only be for 24 hours" should be fired on the spot.  Granted most people who claim to have latex allergies really just have senstivities (they develop a rash or something instead of going into anaphalatic shock) those can be so serious that they quickly kill people.  
Of course, with the nation wide nursing shortage most of the things that I would fire a healthcare worker for simply go unremarked on.  I'm just glad I know enough medicine to tell when someone's about to be stupid and have no hesitation about claiming I'll find a lawyer if they continue said course of action.  Last time I tried to donate blood they kept trying to draw it out of one of my tendons, being both really painful and really useless and not believing me when I was telling them that it wasn't a vein they were poking holes into.  Of course, working in medicine means that I've been threatened with lawsuits for doing things that really had to be done or for outcomes that I had no control over.  

Back on the subject of allergies, we don't really know why rates of serious alleries are increasing.  I remember reading one of the chemical reactions for peanuts that induces anaphalaxis had to do with one of the naturally occuring oils, but I'd have to go look that up again.  Latex allergies are also increasing.  We're fairly certain that air pollution (cigarette smoke as well as smog) can cause asthma and that the most polluted cities have by far the highest rates of asthma - I believe Huston has something like 25% of population with it.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#53 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 03:15 PM

I've never had any serious allergies to anything that I know of. I think when I was a child I had a reaction to something they gave me for a kidney infection-not penicillin, I've taken that before-and I used to have an allergic reaction to the sun which hasn't happened in a long time.

I do have an aunt with asthma.

My husband has a reaction to the tetanus shot-he passes out right after it's administered. Same with novacaine.

What gets me is when the doctor says he's going to give him a tetanus shot-Ricky says that if they do they'd better be prepared to catch him-and they don't believe him. He gets the shot, passes out and they look at him like they're stupid.

#54 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 03:46 PM

Since the start of thise thread, I've developed a peanut allergy.  

Coincidence???

Thanks guys!

***Is easily distracted***

#55 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:28 PM

View PostElara, on Dec 28 2005, 02:14 PM, said:

hey Nonny,

It just amazes me, the stupid things health care professionals can do.  I'd like to think they should know better, but I've had to bag that and watch them very very carefully.  

Nonny
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Missouri, School Bus, Harassment, St. Louis, 6-yr. old girl

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users