Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

The View from New York City: Transit Strike

New York New York City Transit Strike 2006

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:28 PM

Latest news:

Court Fines NYC Transit Union $1M a Day

By LARRY McSHANE, Associated Press Writer 42 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Commuters trudged through the freezing cold, rode bicycles and shared cabs Tuesday as New York's bus and subway workers went on strike for the first time in more than 25 years and stranded millions of riders at the height of the Christmas rush. A judge slapped the union with a $1 million-a-day fine.

State Justice Theodore Jones leveled the sanction against the Transport Workers Union for violating a state law that bars public employees from going on strike. The city and state had asked Jones to hit the union with a "very potent fine."

That judge, btw, is my godfather! :o :D

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#22 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:43 PM

Kosh, on Dec 20 2005, 05:10 PM, said:

You obviously have no idea how severe the economic hit will be, not just for the city, but for the entire country. This is an ILLEGAL strike that paralyzes the nation's largest public transport system (7 million riders a day) with five shopping days left until Christmas.

No such thing as an illegal strike. There are bad strikes, but only slaves are not allowed to strike.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did Ronald Reagan know that?  :blink:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#23 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:20 PM

QueenTiye, on Dec 20 2005, 06:28 PM, said:

Latest news:

NEW YORK - Commuters trudged through the freezing cold, rode bicycles and shared cabs Tuesday as New York's bus and subway workers went on strike for the first time in more than 25 years and stranded millions of riders at the height of the Christmas rush. A judge slapped the union with a $1 million-a-day fine.

State Justice Theodore Jones leveled the sanction against the Transport Workers Union for violating a state law that bars public employees from going on strike. The city and state had asked Jones to hit the union with a "very potent fine."

QT

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is he also the one who decided to fine the Union Leadership a paltry $1,000 a day?  They should be in prison for contempt of court.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#24 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:31 PM

QueenTiye, on Dec 20 2005, 06:28 PM, said:

Latest news:

QT

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It looks like he made them an offer they couldn't refuse.  

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.  :blush:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#25 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:39 PM

My condolences to New Yorkers and I hope this is resolved soon.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#26 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:47 PM

_ph, on Dec 20 2005, 07:20 PM, said:

Is he also the one who decided to fine the Union Leadership a paltry $1,000 a day?  They should be in prison for contempt of court.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know if he set those fines or not. I only know about this one case  from the news (Nope, not that close to my godfather! But... STILL!)

DWF, on Dec 20 2005, 07:31 PM, said:

It looks like he made them an offer they couldn't refuse. 

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.  :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:smirk: Well - we'll see, won't we!  I'm hoping that they won't refuse! LOL!

Spectacles, on Dec 20 2005, 07:39 PM, said:

My condolences to New Yorkers and I hope this is resolved soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah... it's going to be mighty lonely in my office if it doesn't... :(

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#27 Isolina

Isolina
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:39 AM

The Taylor law is a STATE law, not a federal law. The transit system that is being affected physically lies entirely within the state of New York and is not a railroad, so the employees work for a State agency. This is why neither the Mayor nor the President have easy access to negotiations. The State agency, was actually designed as an "Authority" or a public-benefit corporation which sets up even more walls around the political authority -- technically the Governor is not directly involved in it -- he  appoints the board members, but some are appointed on the recommendation of another political figure. The cynic will say that it lets the politicians an easy out when things go horribly wrong, but with the benefit of providing a crony a nice sinecure.

The union leadership that has called the strike, Local 100, has done so without the blessings of the parent union. I belive that the $1K/day fine is levied against the individual union officials, with the $1M/day fine being levied against the union itself. The person is responsible for paying the $1K fines, although the local does have some strike funds, which will go first for the $1M fines. Each union member will lose one day's pay for each day of the strike, PLUS a punitive fine equal to a day's pay, so each union member will be penalized even if the MTA were to capitulate entirely to the union contract proposal today, which isn't likely.

There is a deep sense of outrage coming from both sides of the dispute -- emotions have been running high for many years. It should be no surprise that more than the actual dollars being negotiated, a high-stakes emotional battle is being fought. Riders should not buy into either side as being pure or evil, and each side's "solution" is a band-aid on a multiple homicide.

And with that, I'm now off on my commute, suburban train followed by longish walk.

#28 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:06 AM

Hi Isolina! Welcome to the Isle.. and good luck with that commute...

Yeah. I've heard "word on the street" that the issues that are driving the workers are not the ones that the union is pressing - but the union issues seem remarkably arrogant and trivial in my opinion.  Here's what the union leader says the strike is about:

http://news.yahoo.co...zkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

The union said the latest MTA offer included annual pay raises of 3 percent, 4 percent and 3.5 percent. Pensions were another major sticking point in the talks, particularly involving new employees.

In its last offer before negotiations broke down, the MTA had proposed increasing employee contributions to the pension plan from 2 percent to 6 percent, said union lawyer Walter Meginniss Jr. He added that such a change would be "impossible" for the union to accept.

"Were it not for the pension piece, we would not be out on strike," union president Roger Toussaint said in an interview with NY1. "All it needs to do is take its pension proposal off the table."

Well - I'll be d@mned.  Who today doesn't contribute something to their own retirement account? What world are they living in?  I don't understand the issue really.  Perhaps the transit workers are arguing that MTA gets pensions (do they?) while they are asked to contribute to their pensions?  

Also - who's retirement age is 55?  Does anyone have any idea what this is about? My retirement age, according to social security - is 67 or 68.  I know some companies have early retirement offers - is this what's being talked about? But - in the final offer, MTA gave them the 55 instead of raising to 62.  

I heard this morning that the MTA president declared an impasse - which may force binding arbitration. One might have thought that he'd do that BEFORE a strike was called... :(

QT

Edited by QueenTiye, 21 December 2005 - 10:07 AM.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#29 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:04 AM

Wow--Today has already been SO much worse than yesterday.  Took me nearly 3 hours to make what is normally a 40 minute commute.  There was a fist fight and several scuffles at the Path station on 9th St and 6th Ave in the hour I had to wait to get INTO the station from the street.  (And then there was much screaming when it was announced that the ticket machines were broken, so only those who had kwik passes or metrocards would be allowed to board).  

This is intolerable.

#30 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:22 AM

Do you not have any other way to get around than going to the 9th street (or Christopher St) stations? After 9/11, I had to use those stations - and I recall with abject horror - the lines.  On Christopher Street, the line used to go down the street, around the corner, down THAT street and then around the NEXT corner... :(  Blocking along the way several businesses.... scuffles were practically inevitable as people grew grumpy and annoyed.

I saw some MTA busses today - did some workers cross the picket lines?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#31 Flechette

Flechette
  • Islander
  • 326 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:55 AM

QueenTiye, on Dec 21 2005, 10:06 AM, said:

Also - who's retirement age is 55?  Does anyone have any idea what this is about? My retirement age, according to social security - is 67 or 68.  I know some companies have early retirement offers - is this what's being talked about? But - in the final offer, MTA gave them the 55 instead of raising to 62. 

I heard this morning that the MTA president declared an impasse - which may force binding arbitration. One might have thought that he'd do that BEFORE a strike was called... :(

QT

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My sister works for the subways so I can add a little to this- please keep in mind tho I don't know where her facts are coming from-

Per my sister  65% of transit worker (at least subways side) are deceased by age of 65 and I think she said that it was 89% by age 70.  what the MTA is/was trying to do (per her) is offer a benefit that most of their workers will not be able to collect on.    She did go on about the factors at work that contribute to the eariler mortality rate - but I kinda tuned out since we had just buried my father the day before   :(

Hope that sheds a little light on the subject ;)

#32 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:59 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your dad! :(

Well, thanks for that.  Yes - I've been hearing that what the workers are really concerned about is work conditions. Is that true, to the best of your knowledge? I've heard stuff about busses with breaks that don't work, and of course I don't envy ANYONE who actually has to work on the trash-filled and rat-infested tracks. :(  So if the workers voice those kinds of concerns, I would certainly be more sympathetic.  

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#33 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 12:18 PM

QueenTiye, on Dec 21 2005, 11:22 AM, said:

Do you not have any other way to get around than going to the 9th street (or Christopher St) stations? After 9/11, I had to use those stations - and I recall with abject horror - the lines.  On Christopher Street, the line used to go down the street, around the corner, down THAT street and then around the NEXT corner... :(  Blocking along the way several businesses.... scuffles were practically inevitable as people grew grumpy and annoyed.

I saw some MTA busses today - did some workers cross the picket lines?

QT

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About 1000 workers, as of last night, obeying the national union (which is against the strike, and may take over the local--which is one way this might get resolved).

#34 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 03:14 PM

Oddly enough, I've been somewhat affectedby this as well. One of my online tutoring sessions for today was canceled due to the transit strike.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#35 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 03:28 PM

^^Weird... why?

Here's more news:

Jail Threat Ups Ante for NYC Union Heads

By DAVID B. CARUSO, Associated Press Writer 34 minutes ago

NEW YORK - The city and state stepped up their pressure on striking transit workers Wednesday in hopes of forcing them back to work, and a judge said sending union leaders to jail was a "distinct possibility."

State Supreme Court Justice Theodore Jones, who is hearing several legal issues related to the strike, directed attorneys from the Transport Workers Union to bring president Roger Toussaint and other top officials before the court Thursday to answer to a criminal contempt charge. He said he may sentence the union leaders to jail for refusing to end the strike, calling such a scenario a "distinct possibility."

http://news.yahoo.co...HNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#36 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 03:31 PM

Update:

http://www.ny1.com/n...tid=1&aid=55772

NY1 News reports that the court has ordered the leaders of Local 100 to appear tomorrow--and the judge (QT's godfather :)) says it's a "distinct possibility" that he will jail them for contempt of court.  

The million-dollar-a-day fines will "bankrupt the union in a matter of days"--and that's before the $25K fines that the city is seeking against individual union members: $25K per worker per day.  

The strike may end tomorrow if the judge issues a temporary restraining order forcing the union back to work while remanding the whole thing over to binding arbitration (which the MTA bosses favor, but Touissant and the Union Leadership have, until now, rejected out of hand).

#37 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 03:33 PM

QueenTiye, on Dec 21 2005, 03:28 PM, said:

^^Weird... why?

Here's more news:

Jail Threat Ups Ante for NYC Union Heads

By DAVID B. CARUSO, Associated Press Writer 34 minutes ago

NEW YORK - The city and state stepped up their pressure on striking transit workers Wednesday in hopes of forcing them back to work, and a judge said sending union leaders to jail was a "distinct possibility."
QT

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Again, with the "great minds..."  :)

Edited by _ph, 21 December 2005 - 04:18 PM.

#38 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 03:48 PM

It's odd because of an action taken in New York me, a guy in West Virginia is loosing income. It's my own little personnal example of how interconnected the world has become.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#39 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:43 PM

_ph, on Dec 21 2005, 03:33 PM, said:

Again, with the "great minds..."  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:) Yeah!

tennyson, on Dec 21 2005, 03:48 PM, said:

It's odd because of an action taken in New York me, a guy in West Virginia is loosing income. It's my own little personnal example of how interconnected the world has become.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But I don't understand how online activity could be disrupted by the transit strike!  Was the person using school resources for tutoring?  The schools are very much disrupted by all of this.

Anyway... {{{{{{{{{{{{{{tennyson}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

QT

#40 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:50 PM

Consider this QT. When I go to work in Luton, I support, over the phone a site in Belgium. If a specific set of computers go down, and I can't fix them, about a hundred trucks don't roll out of the site in Belgium that day.

So if my helpdesk was unable to come to work (and assuming that none of our backup sites could pick up the slack) those trucks in another country don't deliver their goods. When they don't deliver their goods, the companies support by those goods can't do their job and so on.

NYC is a major hub for so many businesses who have offices or locations, I imainge it is costing money on a worldwide basis.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New York, New York City, Transit Strike, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users