Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

The View from New York City: Transit Strike

New York New York City Transit Strike 2006

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:21 PM

^^ Oh, THAT I know.  I think I made a similar point further upthread.  Some companies are bussing their employees in. On the way to work today I saw a Goldman Sachs charter bus (for instance).  So yeah - I know that this strike is costly as all get-out, and not just for the city.  tennyson's specific example seemed odd, though - because he mentioned he does online tutoring - I just wondered if he knew the circumstances that caused the cancellation.

Reported this morning: public school attendence was at 60%, while high schools in particular only had 30% attendence.  I don't know how many people live in areas where there are as many high schools as there are in NY AND where kids get to pick which high school they want to go to - with a choice of either a zoned high school (in the neighborhood) or a different high school for specific curriculums - but a very GOOD proportion of high school students commute to school.  :(

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#42 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:31 PM

At this point, I don't care who's right or who's wrong.  I just want the MTA and the TWU to fix this.
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#43 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:56 PM

Almost all the tutoring I do has the children at a school site using freely provided whiteboard software that links with my own whiteboard program on my computer. I got an email this morning that one session was specifically canceled due to the transit strike and then so far today none of my other New York students have shown up either. So I assume it is because they couldn't get to school because they generally aren't ones to skip sessions. Thanks for the sympathy QT, to me it is a vague annoyance since I am still paid a little even if the students don't show up but the educational system in your area seems to be taking a major hit with this.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#44 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:25 AM

Are we catching a break?!

NY1news said:

In a definite sign of progress, mediators who met separately with the transit union and the MTA all morning Thursday, announced at 11 a.m. that both sides have agreed to resume talks while the union takes steps to return members to work.

What.  Does.  That.  Mean?!?!  "Takes steps to return members to work?"  Tell them, "Go back to work!"  Preferrably by 5 O'Clock!  (Though, interesting to note: it might take them longer to get to their stations because... the effin subways aren't running!  Ah, the irony...)

[editing to add: OK, apparently the Union's Executive Board has to vote on it, and that vote is expected to take place by this afternoon.  If they OK it, service would return to normal by rush hour tomorrow morning...  Of course, on the first day I don't need it, since my vacation begins this afternoon.  Natch.]

Edited by _ph, 22 December 2005 - 11:38 AM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#45 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:04 PM

Seems they might be going back to work

Striking transport workers in New York City have agreed to go back to work, a mediator has said as the industrial action enters its third day.
The two sides have agreed to resume talks, the mediator says, and workers will go back to their posts while negotiations are in progress.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#46 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:06 PM

New York Times said:

Even if the union calls for strikers to return to work, it could be 18 hours before service is fully restored.

Most of the 6,300 subway cars have been placed in underground tunnels or in train yards, one next to another. Supervisors have been running empty trains over the rails to keep the rails polished and prevent rust. The 4,600 buses have been stored and guarded at 18 depots.

Employees would have to return to their shifts, tracks and signals would have to be inspected, and subway cars and buses examined before the subways and buses could run.

If all employees promptly returned at the start of their next shift, some subways could begin to run eight hours after managers and supervisors get word that the strikers are returning, officials said.

So at least I'd have tomorrow afternoon to finish my Christmas shopping -- Good enough!  (And I won't have to get "extracted" from Mahnattan by some unlucky cousin to get myself home to LI for Christmas Eve/Day).

#47 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:43 PM

It's over!  (For now!)

*whew*

NY Times said:

NEWS ALERT | 2:35 PM ET
Union Board Votes to End Strike, One of Its Members Says

#48 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:53 PM

Did you miss my post from 2 hours ago?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#49 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:29 PM

^^^They had to vote on it, which they've now done.

#50 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:23 PM

ah, gotcha.

Well, let's hope ti didn't do to much long term damage to NY

Defy Gravity!

#51 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 04:25 PM

Gah.  I'm just glad it's over.

My poor, poor blistered footsies...
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New York, New York City, Transit Strike, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users