86 replies to this topic

#1 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:23 PM

Go here:

Approval rates by state

to check out Bush's current approval ratings, broken down by state.  Currently, only 10 states give him greater positives than negatives.  Twenty-one states that went for Bush in 2004 now give him stronger negative than positive ratings.  If these percentages had electoral college votes attached to them--read 'em and weep, Karl.  Read 'em and weep.  :cry:

Edited by waterpanther, 23 December 2005 - 10:24 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:42 PM

Strange, isn't it?  What a difference a year makes.

Actually, I'm not surprised.  A lot of so-called "red states" are really "purple states."  In Nevada, for example, Bush beat Kerry by a measly 3 percentage points and has the potential to turn bluer with an influx of Californians.  Colorado went for Bush, BUT its state legislature is now controlled by Democrats AND it voted for a Democrat senator to replace a retiring Republican.  Even in Montana, where Bush's approval rating hovers around 50 percent, Democrats now control the governor's spot and the state legislature.  Meanwhile, in "blue" Maine, the state's GOP senators remain very popular.

There remain traditionally "red" states like Idaho and Utah, but other states can be considered "purple," not "red" or "blue."  Meanwhile, a conservative state like Iowa keeps re-electing liberal senator Tom Harkin.  In "blue" New York, we have ultra-conservative congressman Pete King.  

My point?  There are more swing states than you think.
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#3 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 10:20 AM

Well the news media has already decided in favor of defeat in Iraq. Big surprise:

http://people-press....hp3?PageID=1016

Yet the war in Iraq has had a profound impact on the way opinion leaders, as well as the public, view America's global role, looming international threats, and the Bush administration's stewardship of the nation's foreign policy. If anything, the opinion leaders are much gloomier about Iraq's future than is the public. Most opinion leaders feel that the U.S. will fail in establishing a stable democracy in Iraq; a majority of Americans (56%) believe success is still possible. Moreover, the opinion leaders express considerable doubt that Iraq will even survive as a unified country. About four-in-ten or more in every group say that the country will end up being divided into three countries, representing Iraq's Shiites, Sunnis and Kurds.

#4 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 10:31 AM

Non sequitur.
Posted Image

#5 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 11:09 AM

Yes, when the people who report the news to the people have already decided we've lost, how could that influence their reporting on Iraq, hmmmmmmmmm?

I guess the new definition of non sequitur is "inconvenient nuking".

-Ogami

#6 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 03:27 PM

Blaming the news media for Bush's failures has long white hair by now and  is going bald on top. Its particularly inept when the source you cite says that 56% of Americans still believe success in Iraq is possible.  Make up your mind; you can't have it both ways.
Posted Image

#7 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 04:33 PM

How unfair of me to quote a poll result. Boo hoo.

#8 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 04:39 PM

As you will.  But if you want to be fair to yourself in future, at least look for a poll that backs up your point.
Posted Image

#9 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 07:35 PM

No one's forcing you to read it if you don't want to. I'm not your nanny.

#10 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 08:07 PM

And I'm not your teacher.  By all means, proceed as illogically as you please.  I would, however, prefer that the thread remain on the topic of Bush's job performance and not be derailed by irrelevant material.
Posted Image

#11 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 08:19 PM

The original link didn't work, WP. I found one that does (I think):

http://www.surveyusa...1205ByState.htm
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#12 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 08:32 PM

Thanks, Specs.  I find it interesting that even Texas, Bush's "home" state, has begun to tilt against him.  I'm betting he'll begin to slide seriously once the DeLay case comes to trial and all the corruption gets laid out in front of God and everybody.
Posted Image

#13 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 10:49 PM

waterpanther, on Dec 24 2005, 05:32 PM, said:

Thanks, Specs.  I find it interesting that even Texas, Bush's "home" state, has begun to tilt against him.  I'm betting he'll begin to slide seriously once the DeLay case comes to trial and all the corruption gets laid out in front of God and everybody.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't wait to hear, "Yer out!"  :)  :)  :)  Bench da bum!   :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#14 Gefiltefishmon

Gefiltefishmon

Oolong Caluphids Private Secretary

• Islander
  • 789 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 10:50 PM

Yes, WP, once the light of truth shines brightly upon the DeLay corruption engine, Oh I mean the Texans for a Republican Majority (Tom DeLay's personal PAC - also indicted), I expect to see a lot of Texas lawmakers scurrying for cover the likes of which one usually must bash down a roach house to see; Of course, if there is ONE thing DeLay knows, it's roach's. After all, being an exterminator WAS his ONLY qualification for public service....

Of course as time passes and more of the Congressional/ Senatorial corruption, graft, racketeering and lies lies lies yeah are brought to light, well, things are looking up for the non-insane, non-ravening non-neo-cons in America! Eventually we MIGHT even begin to have a REAL secular country that ISN'T threatened by religious fundamentalism, and doesn't pay obnoxious lip-service to the concept of secularization (notice they want Muslim countries to be secular but America should be "God's Country" - the appaling thing is they think it's ok, and they don't see the hypocrisy - quell suprise!).

I hope it does! but if the current group of evil-drooling baby-eaters , um I mean the Bush Cabinet! does manage to maintain control over all three branches of government (how did THAT happen without anyone noticing?!?There has been a Coup D'Etat in our own country and nobody noticed or cared!!!!!), there's always Canada, where the government gives things away, like HEALTHCARE!

The one really bright lite at the end of this tunnel is that no matter who the GOP decides to run in 2008 we know one thing; it won't be the worlds stupidest living human being - he's already been made president twice and can't be elected again! I don't say he's been elected twice, 'cause, well he wasn't elected. It was "arranged" by the vast right wing conspiracy that is now, running the country!

But I digress!

As always the above represents my own cantankerous personal opinions and is in no way designed to denigrate anyone other than the specific public domain individuals referenced above. If they didn't want anyone to call them names they shoulda stayed away from public office! Any perceived or real similarity to other persons, living, dead or fictional, is unintentional and coincidental and is not meant to insult or offend anyone except the specific public officials refferenced above.

Unless of course you are one of the above referenced individuals in which case, YOU CAN READ??

"To know that you do not know is the best. To act from the pretense that you know when you do not know is a disease" - Lao Tzu

"From All, One; and From One, All" - Heraclitus

"Let me be clear: however the world's goblet turns there will always be those drunk on the wine of the Self" - Ghalib

"A 'politically savvy challenge to evolution' is as self-evidently ridiculous as an agriculturally savvy challenge to euclidean geometry would be." - Charles Pierce

#15 Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster

There's no Shepard without Vakarian

• Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 07:58 AM

Gefiltefishmon, on Dec 25 2005, 03:50 AM, said:

The one really bright lite at the end of this tunnel is that no matter who the GOP decides to run in 2008 we know one thing; it won't be the worlds stupidest living human being - he's already been made president twice and can't be elected again! I don't say he's been elected twice, 'cause, well he wasn't elected. It was "arranged" by the vast right wing conspiracy that is now, running the country!

But I digress!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish that I too was stupid enough to dupe a conutry of ~300 million and get myself elected as their leader.  :(
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

#16 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 02:42 PM

I can tell you as a person living in Texas that Bush's popularity around these parts has never been that high....but then even within a state there are differences in political beliefs.  

But folks who were only a year ago singing his praises...at least in relation to his opponent...are now singing a whole different tune.

No matter what anyone might say....being President means you catch all the flack for everything that goes wrong...all of the fallout from FEMA's mishandling of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, the high price of gas, unemployment--in short all of the problems that most everyone is living with right now.

So the more people feel like his decisions or those of people he appointed have hurt them financially or otherwise....the lower his approval ratings will go

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#17 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 03:07 PM

:hehe:

Will you people kindly keep it down in here?

I’m watching “Code Name The Kids Next Door.”

Sheeezzash “Bush,” ”Bush,” all you hear is “Bush,”
you’d think someone was hawking Hanukah bushes or something.

:whistle:

Edited by emsparks, 25 December 2005 - 03:09 PM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#18 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 03:09 PM

Hey, I've changed my mind. If this thread makes a Merry Christmas to some, who am I to stand in the way of that happiness? Bush's numbers are down, woo hoo. Merry Christmas! Really.

#19 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 03:25 PM

I wonder what the approval rating is gonna be for .......... his tell-all memoires? will he be the first to put one out which makes no more than 40000 copies? or will it make the bookstores the biggest margin-makers of all industies in the year it comes out?
I decided to do the library route for Hilary's and Bill's, so I prolly won't by "W's World" (or whatever name it winds up with) either .................. my own approval rating of his decisions and work has never crested the 15% mark
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#20 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 07:21 PM

trikay, on Dec 25 2005, 07:42 PM, said:

I can tell you as a person living in Texas that Bush's popularity around these parts has never been that high....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been to Austin, the capital city, and that is a very liberal city.  They can't stand Bush.
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bush, Job Approval, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users